Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Best road test of Fiero I ever read.....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best road test of Fiero I ever read..... by cvxjet
Started on: 07-13-2020 09:09 PM
Replies: 9 (748 views)
Last post by: bandi on 12-05-2021 09:15 PM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2020 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read the Motor Trend and the Road & Track road tests of the 1985 GT which was what led me to buy an 85 SE V6(Both were positive).......From then on the road tests were terrible- real hatchet jobs (Especially Car & Driver).....But when I read the road test of an '87 GT in the R&T Sports and GT special edition, I was pleasantly surprised; Not only was it very positive, but it was actually written by my favorite Auto Journalist, Peter Egan.

What first hooked me on Egan's writing was his "Side Glances" column in R&T- Specifically his relating of the "Head-bump" problem when under a car.....(You lift your head and bump the chassis, which causes you to jerk back- hitting your head on the cement, which causes you to jerk back up, etc....This chain of events doesn't stop until you either pull yourself out from under the car, or knock yourself unconscious!) Everyone who has slid under a car knows this....Routine; (Maybe damage from this kept me qualified as a Federal worker for 35 years!)

Anyway, I was finally able to scan the article and can now post it here....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 07-13-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Quadfather

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2020 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to read a review that's positive. Thanks for sharing.
pgackeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2020 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pgackemanSend a Private Message to pgackemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good review, and honest. Impressed by his times.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2020 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember the magazine.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I read the Motor Trend and the Road & Track road tests of the 1985 GT which was what led me to buy an 85 SE V6(Both were positive).......From then on the road tests were terrible- real hatchet jobs (Especially Car & Driver).....But when I read the road test of an '87 GT in the R&T Sports and GT special edition, I was pleasantly surprised; Not only was it very positive, but it was actually written by my favorite Auto Journalist, Peter Egan.

When I first started looking for a Fiero, I went to a local used book/magazine store and went through the entire automotive magazine section and bought every magazine the mentioned the Fiero.
From early announcements of Pontiac's plans to coverage of the prototypes and reviews of every year.

So I was aware of the yearly changes and the last year '88's suspension/brake improvements.
I bought my 87 GT because I couldn't find an '88 GT (many years later I found out only 423 were sold in Canada!).

Brooklands Books had a book that reprinted all the magazine articles on the Fiero.
It's a good read. (mine is an earlier edition with a different cover)
https://www.amazon.com/Pont...-1988/dp/1855205327/
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i....e+portfolio&_sacat=0

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-03-2021).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing this!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound, I have that book and it is really great- All of the road tests (Including the '87 GT test I posted And the '85 GT tests in MT and R&T) The funniest test was one done in (I believe) Australia where the dumb-bun stated (About the parking brake) "Once it's set it forms an OBSTACLE to getting in and out of the car, and the temptation is to do without it"

How dumb do you have to be to even THINK that the lever would not lay down after setting the brake? (There are several other cars that have the parking brake situated the same way (Porsche 928 & 944, Jag XJS)
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2021 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question, how are you all able to read the article ? I can't enlarge it, would love to read it. Is there a link that I'm missing ?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2021 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you right-click on the pic, you can open it in a new tab- then you can magnify/enlarge it...(Not sure if that will work on a "smart" phone)
bandi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2021 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bandiSend a Private Message to bandiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a bad review at all- that's refreshing!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock