Water Pump Inlet on 2.5L by Ben1730
Started on: 05-18-2020 04:16 PM
Replies: 4 (206 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-19-2020 02:43 PM
Ben1730

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ben1730Send a Private Message to Ben1730Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I'm a lurker around here but i encountered an interesting problem on my 84 recently and thought I'd show and ask a question.

So here's the problem:

(Pictured the Water pump inlet housing in it's current state)

It looks like possibly Block Sealant?

Regardless I'm wondering where i can find a replacement part for this. I've already tried to search for it on rock auto, Fiero store, and online, but nothing came up. It looks like a common thermostat housing for a GM product but I'm not sure, and help would be appreciated.

TBH i was wondering why the car kept overheating (Car Not damaged as far as i know in the making of this post)

[This message has been edited by Ben1730 (edited 05-18-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
leak block product maybe...

Likely caused by crap/no coolant and maybe grounds.
Old coolant or < 50/50 mix will not have enough "anti rust" chems will attack any metal, more so w/ aluminum.
Iffy grounds in engine bay then engine, starter and alt tries using coolant as a ground path and in turn coolant eats everything even hoses.

At minimum Radiator and heater loop likely are F'd too.
See my Cave, Heater

Radiator may look ok looking into the cap opening but big problem likely in the left tank and pipe.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Ben1730

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ben1730Send a Private Message to Ben1730Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply, Ogre.

Since i got the car within the past year and a half i've replaced most of the cooling system,(Rad, Hoses, Water Pump, Thermostat.) Sans heater core loop.
So at the moment the main thing i'm worried about is this type of stuff building up in the coolant passages in the block. As any blockages in the coolant hard-lines i can find with a little probing. (Next on the to do list)

The heater core loop it's self will be another problem once i get around to it.

Also a new battery and cables are in my future too since someone converted the old ones into top post cables. So hopefully that will fix the grounding issue.(if that is the case)

Any ideas on where i can get a new housing like this?

~Ben
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears this is something to look for at wrecking yards.

P22 Parts Book shows GM part number 10037949 - Inlet, engine coolant pump
Online catalogs show superceded by part number 10181368
Discontinued part (used on many GM cars with 2.5 Iron Duke engine)

But I did find part number 10013800.
This is the housing the water pump bolts to, which in turn bolts to the side of the block, and the inlet also bolts to.

1st listing is complete with water pump.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC...-2-5U-R/264557275283
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM...ORY-OEM/112213319123

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-19-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup junk yard part.

But likely the whole water pump base is bad. The part bolted to engine.
Even the block, head and intake manifold have coolant passages w/ problems too.

You likely need a bore scope to look in w/o ripping a lot of stuff apart. Cheap ones hook up to USB on laptop or phones.

Shouldn't be shocked if you need more things replace or soon have "freeze plugs" etc fail.

Maybe fix current issue but look for 85-86 l4 engine to replace this.

new battery cables is only the start. Need to check everything screwed/bolted to engine etc back there.
See my Cave, Wire Service

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock