Started on: 04-08-2020 05:52 PM
Replies: 54 (1544 views)
Last post by: PK on 05-01-2021 02:41 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:
I'll say, those Pittsburgh stands look exactly like the ones I bought from Advance Auto last summer. Will take a good look at them this weekend. I've REALLY soured on Chinese stuff lately.
Because Very possible all made at same factory...
But While Recall(s) apply to one brand... Same Recall may not apply to others from same factory.

Factories work in batches of X part.
A iffy/bad batch or three for HF may only affect HF not AZ etc.

I would carefully check all new ones for same problems even tho is another brand.

I won't buy "Generic" amazon etc. things that can kill you. Even "Store brands" for AZ Kmart etc. gets recalled and you can find out easily thru the store, CPSC, or NHTSA.
IP: Logged
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Profit engineering, cheap metal, dirty welds at the expense of someones well being. For such an old tool that has had a basic design for so many decades it's unnecessary for them to not be of higher quality standards.

I never liked the basic jack stand design and they always feel flimsy to me. In my shop I ended spending a lot more for RennStand's from SafeJacks. I really like the design of them and much heavier duty feel.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So HF finally replied to my email and said to bring them into any store and get store credit.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:
So HF finally replied to my email and said to bring them into any store and get store credit.
HF Recall doc's and online would tell you same.
Recall items does not need a receipt/invoice either to return them.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
HF Recall doc's and online would tell you same.
Recall items does not need a receipt/invoice either to return them.

You may return your jack stands to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools retail store and you will receive a gift card equal to the retail price of the original jack stands. Directions to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools store can be found on our website at www.harborfreight.com. Even though your jack stands may currently be in good working order, we are asking all users to immediately stop using these jack stands. Additionally, if at all possible, customers should not return the product to stores until the ‘Shelter at Home Order’ in your area has been lifted. If it is essential you return them before, you should follow the CDC guidelines and remain six feet apart from others.

Well it wont be anytime soon and I already have replacements in the garage made here in the states.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 05-28-2020).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick warning on this topic. Many people who have jackstands have NEVER done this next step which in most cases is not even labeled on the stands. When you lower the jackstand all the way, you take a steel punch or screwdriver and hammer in the tab as shown by the blue arrow. This is the safe limit tab that will not allow you to raise the jackstand to an unsafe height. Without this limit tab, you can actually raise the stand to a dangerous height to where the jackstand can fold in half at the top.

Be aware that this tab will also lock the slider in place so it cannot be removed from the base anymore. If you need to remove the slider at a later time, you'll need to bend the tab back outwards.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-07-2020).]

dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The funny thing is that I have HF stands (though they're way older than the affected ones and are actually halfway sturdy.) They're the 5 ton ones from back when I worked on lifted trucks.

But for the Fiero, I never bother to lift them, they just stay in the lowest position, so it's not like they have anywhere to drop anyway =))

-- A
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2020 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Just a quick warning on this topic. Many people who have jackstands have NEVER done this next step which in most cases is not even labeled on the stands. When you lower the jackstand all the way, you take a steel punch or screwdriver and hammer in the tab as shown by the blue arrow. This is the safe limit tab that will not allow you to raise the jackstand to an unsafe height. Without this limit tab, you can actually raise the stand to a dangerous height to where the jackstand can fold in half at the top.

Be aware that this tab will also lock the slider in place so it cannot be removed from the base anymore. If you need to remove the slider at a later time, you'll need to bend the tab back outwards.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
All that does is keep the top in so won't get lost.
Most to all that stop is = to last tooth on the "racket section" on the upper part.
Pull more the top won't lock or even fall over before even sees a load.

Most people should bent the stop "ear" just so kids etc can't lose the upper part. I see many used stand w/ missing uppers or worse mismatch uppers because fools take uppers from one to use on other like often smaller top can "fit" in bigger bottom. (Which is what look like in above video. Makers put small top in bigger bottom.)

Ever then I try to Not use the last ⅓ to ¼ of upper section.
More height the more reason to tip over like pulling a wrench so stands see more sideways loads.
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked out my newest set and found they were one of the listed sets of stands. Returned them to Harbor freight for full retail gift card. I've always had worries about jack stands. I usually slide tires or blocks under the car as well, to limit how far the car can fall. Especially scary when removing a cradle/engine assembly! Certainly glad I read this post.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2020 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I have purchased a jack stand in 20 years... I have 8 of the 6 ton ones that look identical to the harbor freight ones, but mine were branded MVP and sold through wal-mart way back when (still probably imported). I also have several smaller ones from Larin and another supplier. I have something like 12 or 14 jack stands to pick and choose from.

Mine looks like this, just much dirtier!
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2020 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is my understanding that only some of the production runs are affected. Something to do with worn manufacturing dies and the angle of the teeth may be a bit off. I took 6 back and they didn't even check the numbers, they just gave me a gift card.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️ Warning & Update:
HF added a new skew to JS recall and HF recall page and NHTSA doesn't list this right now.
New Skew is 56373 is a 3 ton unit w/ welding defects.

Now refunding all 3, 6 and 12 ton Jack stands not just actual recall units.
Refund See: https://www.harborfreight.com/js-details

https://milled.com/harbor-f...nds-mZ0SghMWdwMGZO4J
https://www.usatoday.com/st...s-recall/5393897002/
and many others
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Edit: since these blocks were designed and built in Québec (a project between my dad and I), we dubbed them the Bloc Québécois.

Bravo! Well done!

I prefer to use the full-length lumber (lots of head room) ...

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2020 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had scare of my life when my car fell i luckily well i had shoved wheels under car in case and i am still here.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2021 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had some unbranded axle stands of the ratchet design (as in the OP) fail spectacularly when load testing at around 2t when rated to 3t/stand.

They sheared off at the saddle. (●__●)

The design is exactly the same as the generic ratchet axle stand and they looked identical to common branded ones here (sealey,draper,Clarke etc) but I guess using unsuitable materials.

Will try and transfer pics from work phone at some point.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock