Started on: 03-05-2020 08:47 AM
Replies: 13 (491 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 03-09-2020 06:48 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found another option for a decklid scoop.
I cut most of the existing hump out of my notchie deck lid so I had to put it toward the front to cover the hole.
It fits the contour of the decklid pretty well though and I think I`m just going to bolt it on as opposed to moulding it.
It has a rubber gasket that comes with it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a Mustang scoop? What is it off of/where did you get it? Will it clear the back glass when the lid is raised? Thanks!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

Not a Mustang scoop? What is it off of/where did you get it? Will it clear the back glass when the lid is raised? Thanks!

Yes, it is a Mustang scoop. There are different sizes of them though.
I picked this one because it was fairly short compared to others from the front to the back. As far as hitting the back it shouldn`t because it`s not much taller than the stock hump. That`s why I had to cut it.
[URL=https://www.amazon.com/Race-Scoops-MUSTBT-Mustang-Fiberglass/dp/B07JGGW35Q/ref=asc_df_B07JGGW35Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=331942329025&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=813282900088951484&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028 226&h]https://www.amazon.com/Race...=&hvlocphy=9028226&h[/URL] vtargid=pla-707131157477&psc=1

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 03-05-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut out the hump is likely cutting out the ground plane under them. 88 deck has "hidden" ground there too and now have a big hole in it.

The ground does 2 things...
Reduces E-noise from engine getting out of the bay.
Reduces E-noise getting into the engine bay from everything else.

Either can cause problems for ICM and ECM and even set bogus DTC's AKA Codes.

Put metal mesh/screen connected to ground under the scoop.
Put small screen in/near scoop opening to prevent crap getting stuck in the space. Can use black or colored Nylon or plastic here.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2020 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Cut out the hump is likely cutting out the ground plane under them. 88 deck has "hidden" ground there too and now have a big hole in it.

The ground does 2 things...
Reduces E-noise from engine getting out of the bay.
Reduces E-noise getting into the engine bay from everything else.

Either can cause problems for ICM and ECM and even set bogus DTC's AKA Codes.

Put metal mesh/screen connected to ground under the scoop.
Put small screen in/near scoop opening to prevent crap getting stuck in the space. Can use black or colored Nylon or plastic here.

I just cut through the skin. The metal part is still there. I`m glad you said something as I thought it was a heat shield.
I wasn`t going to remove it anyway.
Thanks
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
I just cut through the skin. The metal part is still there. I`m glad you said something as I thought it was a heat shield.
Thanks
85-87 Should have a ground wire to it but many terminals on the metal rusted out and loose wire from left hinge area falls down.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Following the process! May do the exact same thing, thanks for posting!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TXGOOD:
Thanks
85-87 Should have a ground wire to it but many terminals on the metal rusted out and loose wire from left hinge area falls down.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about what you said because my car is an 88 but the decklid I`m doing is some earlier year.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Originally posted by Vicophine:

Following the process! May do the exact same thing, thanks for posting!

Thanks, I will post some pics of the holes I cut and measurements, etc.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks exactly like the scoop I got for mine!

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:
I was wondering about what you said because my car is an 88 but the decklid I`m doing is some earlier year.
88 has a ground "build-in" to the lid itself and I think grounds thru the hinge assembles.

I'm told GM got awards do this for 88 but little data on just how is done. I think the whole 88 lid is a ground plane unlike 84-87 that has metal parts. 84 lid vent is likely ground plane too and 85-87 have metal piece under the panel wired to car's frame.

88 lid Might not be a "real" ground so testing w/ Ω meter likely won't help. Or might but could see Hundreds of Ω to KΩ or more.

Using 85-87 lids on 88 is fine but needs the metal grounded to the frame. OE location is 1 self thread screw on bracket the left hinge is mounted to. Might still have a blank hole for this. If true, think is a punch hole w/ extra metal bend in some. Rain today and not looking.
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

That looks exactly like the scoop I got for mine!

Yep, I think it is.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2020 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of fieros with this exact mod I remember threads on it.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2020 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the grille put together.
I just need to paint it Black and it will be ready to go.
I just drilled holes in the decklid for the bottoms of the screws because when I bolt the scoop on it holds it in place.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock