Thanks for the Add! Muncie 4-Speed Question by Ronbo4786
Started on: 01-05-2020 11:58 AM
Replies: 9 (224 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-10-2020 02:09 PM
Ronbo4786

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ronbo4786Send a Private Message to Ronbo4786Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for the add to the forum! I've been lurking and getting information from the group for over a year and really appreciate the help.
After owning the car for 16 months it is running well and gets me back and forth to work (60 miles). It’s a 66,000-mile original GT that sat for around 12 years. The issue I’m having now is the Muncie 4-speed grinds when up-shifting to 3rd and 4th. Everything else with the transmission is fine. Below are the things I’ve done to remedy the situation.
1. Replaced clutch master cylinder (banjo facing up)
2. Rebuilt clutch slave cylinder
3. Adjusted cables using manufacturer specs
4. Steel clutch pedal
5. Drained/filled with recommended 5W-30
6. Drained/filled with Syncromesh
Could the synchros be out after only 66K?
Could the cables be stretched/worn?
Thanks in advance for WORTHWHILE suggestions.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
Muncie 4-speed
2.8L V6

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I have no suggestions that are worthwhile.
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a stab in the dark - how are the bushings on the shifter?
Ronbo4786

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ronbo4786Send a Private Message to Ronbo4786Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Gall757!

Topcat I'll take a look at that, thank you for the suggestion. Nothing feels sloppy when shifting but it can't hurt. Currently looking through the service manual to see if there's something I missed.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
Muncie 4-speed
2.8L V6

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ronbo4786:
Could the synchros be out after only 66K?

Sure, why not? There are a lot of yahoo drivers out there. Did you do something to cause the grinding?

Normally, if you're grinding, you'll have to split the transmission case to investigate. Until then, double-clutch to keep from breaking things further.

I'm assuming that your clutch is disengaging fully... it's hard not to notice when a clutch isn't disengaging.
Ronbo4786

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ronbo4786Send a Private Message to Ronbo4786Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks pmBrunelle!

If I double-clutch or shift slowly from 2-3 or 3-4 it usually doesn't grind. I'll continue to do that.
I'm considering reaccomplishing the cable adjustment procedures although it probably won't change things.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
Muncie 4-speed
2.8L V6

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If double-clutching makes the transmission work as it should, that points squarely at the synchronizers, and not the cables.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2020 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try this... pull clip connector from coil so engine won't start. Put trans in 1st gear. Keep clutch pedal all the way down as you would normally do when shifting. Make sure your parked on level surface. Try to start engine. If car moves the slightest, you found the problem. Clutch disc not disengaging from flywheel properly.

If this is so, then have a willing subject monitor the clutch slave for proper movement of the push rod (with engine off) while you push in the clutch pedal.
Double clutching can also create further travel, sort of like pumping the brakes.

If travel is sufficient and the car didn't move in the 1st test above, then it may be time to entertain the idea of inspecting the synchronizers, just in case.

ps: Don't forget to put the coil connector back on.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Ronbo4786

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ronbo4786Send a Private Message to Ronbo4786Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon - Thank you for the suggestion . . . I will enlist the aid of my spousal unit and try those things this weekend.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
Muncie 4-speed
2.8L V6

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2020 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Realigning the shifter cables may also help. It may be that the select cable isn't allowing the shifter to move fully to the 3-4 gate.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock