Dont ask me how I know this advice... by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 05-14-2019 12:18 AM
Replies: 27 (1007 views)
Last post by: fierofrenzy on 05-26-2019 09:43 AM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don’t ask me how I know this but.....
1) Always make sure you are running an alternator heat shield.
2) Always put Loctite on your caliper bolts.
3) Always make sure you go back and check and/or re-tighten any suspension pieces that you installed recently.
4) Never rest your arms/body on the trunk weatherstrip seal when working on the engine.
5) Never stop refreshing your brake fluid in your master cylinder and clutch resovoirs.
6) Never put your hand inside the headlight frame assembly when plugging the motor back in.
7) Never buy anything till you check Rockauto first.

Feel free to add to the list.
Thanks, Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 05-14-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never jack on the coolant tubes! (easy one)
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

2) Always put Loctite on your caliper bolts.

Ha ha I know that one all too well!

Turns out, someone *cough*twinlakesfiero*cough* serviced my calipers many years ago and on one of them, they re-installed the caliper sliders backwards, and if you've ever seen the sliders on an '88, you'll know that one side is countersunk for the bolt head, and the other side isn't.... Install them backwards and the bolt won't be in far enough! Barely a couple or three threads were engaged into the steering knuckle. At some point one bolt came out and got lost, then soon afterward the other one started getting loose and there was a "clunk" every time I hit the brakes. Needless to say that was one very impromptu roadside repiar so I could limp home.... I used tie wire to help hold the other end of the caliper where the bolt was missing.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Twin Lakes Fiero. That's a blast from the past.

Don't even get me started.......
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, to borrow from an old nursery rhyme: "When they were good, they were very good, but when they were bad, they were horrid."
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

6) Never put your hand inside the headlight frame assembly when plugging the motor back in.

I actually feel good about this one...Because I fig-ured it out before doing that..........

How about "Always make sure the nut behind the steering wheel is tight after removing and re-installing the steering wheel"....? For some reason, I have a loose nut behind the steering wheel on both of my cars AND my boat...........

JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always double check grounds before assuming electrical parts are bad.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unclog the four drainage holes instead of silicone sealing the sunroof shut. (No, I haven't sealed any of mine shut, but I've seen it done often enough!)
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Unclog the four drainage holes instead of silicone sealing the sunroof shut.

What? This isn't the right way to do it?

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't use the spoiler when pushing a Fiero.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

What? This isn't the right way to do it?

PFF
System Bot
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ALWAYS carry an extra ICM and the correct socket to install it.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

ALWAYS carry an extra ICM and the correct socket to install it.

And don't forget the cooling lube...

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you want to move the car, don't do it by pushing the taillight lenses.
Don't park a car for a relatively minor reason, then watch as the months turn into years and you have a tank of funky gas and a burned out fuel pump from trying to get it out.
Don't drive it in salty northern winters.
Don't hack up the wiring and vacuum hoses trying to outsmart the factory sensors/etc without knowing what any of it does.
Don't get into a habit of tail sliding on rainy Interstate on-ramps until one day you spin out in front of 70+mph traffic, thereby forced to face the possibility that even your badass 20-something self is, in fact, not only fallible, but also pretty stupid. And God loves you, apparently, which isn't so bad, but it's not the best way to find out.

Not that I ever would have done any of these things, at any age.
And my old car is totally not a hacked up, badly rusted donor of spare parts to the current one.

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 05-16-2019).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2019 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't slam down the deck-lid when closing it...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't think you have a couple of gallons left in the tank when it hits empty.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't leave the ignition plugged in while clearing a flooded engine! Always have a fire extinguisher nearby when working on the fuel system.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't stand over the engine under the middle of the decklid on a windy day.
Don't remove the thermostat housing cap while the engine is still warm.
anaverin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't ask for help from strangers or friends when your fastback dies randomly on the side of the road and you need to push it. If you have to, make sure they push on the bumper or under the spoiler on the decklid only.

haha wish i didn't know this!
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't try to start engine with gas line disconnected from throttlebody.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't try to weld shut the Fiero's gas tank, while there is fuel still in the tank. (Not me, but I witnessed it on an 84').
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2019 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vicophine:

Don't try to weld shut the Fiero's gas tank, while there is fuel still in the tank. (Not me, but I witnessed it on an 84').

Yeah, that's what I would say.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don’t ask me how I know this but.....
4) Never rest your arms/body on the trunk weatherstrip seal when working on the engine.

Corollary to the above:

4a. Never rest your belt buckle on the body when working on the engine. $&*@)(#$@^& paint scratches...

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Always have a fire extinguisher nearby when working on the fuel system.

People ask me why I have one in the trunk and more than one in the garage. There are two kinds of people: Those who *don't* keep fire extinguishers handy ... and those who haven't yet set fire to their car/shop/lawn tractor.

Also, don't ask me how I know this, but you can easily identify a bad O-ring in your cold start injector by the following:

1. Bad fuel smell *inside* cab.
2. Gas spraying onto transmission and exhaust manifold (urp!)
3. Two foot diameter puddle under the car as soon as you stop.

Amazingly, the car did not self-immolate.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 05-22-2019).]

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2019 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never forget to chock the vehicle while working under your friend’s pickup. And, after you’ve forgotten to chock the wheels of said pickup, don’t get under the truck and disassemble the VERY part that keeps the truck in park.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Never forget to chock the vehicle while working under your friend’s pickup. And, after you’ve forgotten to chock the wheels of said pickup, don’t get under the truck and disassemble the VERY part that keeps the truck in park.

I categorically deny ever disconnected the driveshaft on a 6000# truck, which then rolled down my gently slope yard into my garden shed. Final score was Truck:1 Shed:0.

-- A
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2019 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never forget to GAS UP !.....Gas up, gas up, gas up ! Those completely inaccurate fuel gauges can leave you stranded out of gas, when you thought you had a quarter tank.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2019 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

Those completely inaccurate fuel gauges can leave you stranded out of gas...

Not if you fill up and reset the trip odometer every gas purchase. Seriously, it's a good habit to get into.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know all about it Pat....Instead of doing the math, I just always gas up when my gauge reads 1/4 tank. I did learn the hard way though.....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock