Started on: 10-27-2018 11:24 AM
Replies: 22 (477 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 11-01-2018 02:46 PM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those having issues with posting images from PIP, Photobucket reversed their "lockdown" on photos. They took a ton of criticism, lost customers, and decided to unlock the free option once again. So people, please post away using Photobucket if that is your preferred way of posting.

Also, all of the threads that used Photobucket in the past are working......unless the photo was removed by the owner.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-27-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to know, I hated losing access all those photos.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CoolBlue87GT

8404 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I'd be afraid they would do the same thing years from now.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-27-2018).]

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buuuutttt, I think the damage has already been done. I like many others had an account and for me it just got ridiculous to try and use. I really do not understand why folks have troubles with PIP, unless they are on a very old machine. Its a simple program to work. The key is to make sure you resize your photos. I just use Microsoft paint to do this. Very simple.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few should trust Photobarf again. If pictures work now then save the pic or even the page before their dead again.
New users now tries to push paid plans but even Beginner $4.48 Per Month get 3rd Party Hosting.
Free plans are "hidden" on the plan page using fine print at bottom.
TOS page still says:

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits
  • Free Account: Each free account provides 2 GB of storage or space available for your Content. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Paid Accounts. Free account Members can upgrade to a Paid Account at any time.

IF A FREE ACCOUNT MEMBER EXCEEDS 2 GB THEY MAY: UPGRADE TO A PAID ACCOUNT BY SELECTING THE APPROPRIATE PAID ACCOUNT SUBSCRIPTION LEVEL, REDUCE THE NUMBER OF IMAGES IN THEIR LIBRARY TO GET BELOW 2GB OR CLOSE THEIR FREE ACCOUNT. ALTERNATIVELY, PHOTOBUCKET MAY TERMINATE THE MEMBER'S ACCOUNT AND PERMANENTLY DELETE THEIR CONTENT.
  • This is why many pictures have "moved or deleted by owner" under the old original rules. 2GB is nothing to store pictures from cameras etc built in 5 to 10 years without editing/resizing before upload. Example: My "old" Fuji camera uses ~ 4 MB per pic. Many new ones can eat 8 to 10 MB even more per pic.

Then add this for all plans:

Content & Privacy
  • When you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, non-revocable, right and license to copy, sell, convey, distribute, stream, post, publicly display (e.g. post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or is later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose with the right to sublicense such rights to others.
  • Photobucket has the right to place advertising, promotions, notifications or identifiers, banners and watermarks on or near your Content, and how and what are up to us.
  • Means they can do anything with your pictures and paid nothing to you.

------------------
    Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
    (Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Oh trust me, I have no doubt that something will change once again. For now at least, it gives people an option. I don't understand the issue with PIP. It has always worked fine for me since day one but others seem to have a nightmare posting with it.

But as far as that fine print, I turned off my Photobucket extension in Opera and can now see all of Car-lo's photos in his build thread. Before, they were all blocked.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    The good news is that all the nice pictures on the build threads in the Construction zone are back. Wish that Cliff could develop a program to get them in the forum archives. As for others grab those photos back now as you never know.

------------------
    " THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
    "THE COLUSSUS"
    87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
    " ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2018 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The good news is that all the nice pictures on the build threads in the Construction zone are back. Wish that Cliff could develop a program to get them in the forum archives. As for others grab those photos back now as you never know.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I post a Photobucket link, technically, I am posting it on Cliff's server since we are all on his webpage. I wonder if he were to decode (hack) and add one of the extensions to his server if that would fix future viewing issues should Photobucket lock down the images once again. The browser extensions work locally on our computers but I wonder if this could be done on the server side to basically "patch" the Photobucket link before we view it through the webpage.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    [/b]

[B]Originally posted by IMSA GT:

What I'm trying to figure out is if I post a Photobucket link, technically, I am posting it on Cliff's server since we are all on his webpage. I wonder if he were to decode (hack) and add one of the extensions to his server if that would fix future viewing issues should Photobucket lock down the images once again. The browser extensions work locally on our computers but I wonder if this could be done on the server side to basically "patch" the Photobucket link before we view it through the webpage.

Firefox had a Photobucket unlocking app and I used it during the lockout period. It worked but I still could not access my photos.
    RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    FWIW, I switched to Mediafire when they pulled that stunt.

Works just fine, won't be going back.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Of course they were going back. Dumbest idea ever. Too many other free or cheaper options out there and just opened up the opportunity for other sites to grab their disgruntled users.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 10-28-2018).]

PFF
    System Bot
    theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
    You post only the link to pictures on any 3rd party host. Your and anyone else browser DL the picture from same 3rd party host.

My guess that Cliff can't legally DL same files to host on PFF server because of copyright laws in US and other countries.

Example: PB TOS...

Content & Privacy
  • By making your content public, you are also giving all other Users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site, third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Members to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites), provided such use is not for a commercial purpose.
  • IOW PFF using Ads to make money mean copying PB pictures is very likely not "Fair Use" under US and most other Copyright rules.
    sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
    User Banned

Report this Post10-28-2018 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Don't use Photobucket if you want people to view your pics on their site. It's so polluted with ads and bandwidth sucking garbage I and others refuse to view any pics posted on the site. Give Photobucket the boot and just let it die in the way it deserves. Actually killing it with fire and ejecting the remains into a volcano would be deserved.
    Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Don't use Photobucket if you want people to view your pics on their site. It's so polluted with ads and bandwidth sucking garbage...

It's especially annoying when people use Photobucket to host their images, but don't know how to post them. Instead of simply embedding their image(s) within a post, they post links which would then take us to their Photobucket page. No thanks. If they can't be bothered to learn how to post their images properly, then I can't be bothered to look at them!

PIP FTW.
    IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's especially annoying when people use Photobucket to host their images, but don't know how to post them. Instead of simply embedding their image(s) within a post, they post links which would then take us to their Photobucket page. No thanks. If they can't be bothered to learn how to post their images properly, then I can't be bothered to look at them!

PIP FTW.

See and thats where it gets annoying. If they post the proper link which simply displays the image rather than take you back to Photobucket to view the image, it would be fine. I use PIP with no issue but for some people, they can never seem to get it to work......why, I have no clue.
    Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2018 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I believe the reason that some users don’t use PIP is because they can’t. It is still incompatible with cell phones. I’ve heard that some folks with apple computers also have issues, however I don’t know wether or not this is true.

This doesn’t mean I will use photo bucket just trying to give a valid reason why some folks can’t use PIP.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2018 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I'm glad the previous pics are now visible again

PIP is just not usable on mobile platforms and is cumbersome to use where it is able. That's my take on PIP.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2018 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    https://postimg.cc is just like Photobucket and is even easier to use to post images. Plus you choose the option on the duration of time that the images will post.

------------------
    " THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
    "THE COLUSSUS"
    87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
    " ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I can only imagine they lost their customers in droves. Throwing out the nets now to salvage what they can.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I can only imagine they lost their customers in droves. Throwing out the nets now to salvage what they can.

Oh yes, and they were sending an email every few weeks giving "special offers" trying to get people back, but none of their special deals were good.
    Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    Photobucket is like that ex-girlfriend who wants you to take her back. Sorry, sweetheart. Better luck next time.
    PFF
    System Bot
    fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

PIP is just not usable on mobile platforms and is cumbersome to use where it is able. That's my take on PIP.

For me the issue is that PIP doesn't allow hot linking anywhere besides PFF.

So if I want to post the same picture to PFF and LS1 Tech, to use PIP, I would have to upload it and post it here. Then upload the pic somewhere else, get the link and post it on LS1 Tech. The simple solution is to host them where both sites can use the same link, which also allows me to copy/paste the post from one forum to the other and everything works.

I have had a paid account with Photobucket for many years ($39/yr) and have over 10,000 pictures hosted with them. When they shut off the hot linking to free accounts, they gave all paid accounts 1 additional year before being impacted. I figured they would eventually come around, so didn't do anything with my historical pictures, but haven't uploaded a picture to their site since. I switched to using my website to host all my pictures.
    Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
    Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru: For me the issue is that PIP doesn't allow hot linking anywhere besides PFF.

Same here. I like PFF, but not enough to bother with a completely separate image hosting system.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
    Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock