Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Found FIERO GT in Texas.... fake motorsports? (maybe it was a SCCA effort?)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Found FIERO GT in Texas.... fake motorsports? (maybe it was a SCCA effort?) by rickwtexas
Started on: 10-22-2018 08:38 AM
Replies: 12 (601 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 11-03-2018 01:05 PM
rickwtexas

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rickwtexasSend a Private Message to rickwtexasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://ibb.co/dD3Q6L

Found Fiero - and before I approach owners again I'd like to be better informed. Does anyone recall a Fiero like this being used in motorsports? I competed in SCCA North Texas back in the mid 1980's and remember a few Fieros, but none painted like this (nor does it have a class designation on the sides, like S/P). Maybe this was the Fiero that David McDavid Pontiac had on the showroom floor... just can't find anything thru web searches or jogging my memory (

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the outside it looks like a stock Fiero with painted side moldings and decals.
Is a stock powertrain in it?
rickwtexas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rickwtexasSend a Private Message to rickwtexasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't examined it closely yet but it appears 100% stock. The owners won't answer the door when I knock and the one phone call I had with them that lasted 10 seconds. When I go back I fear I'll hear "that's a valuable car that was raced by the factory.... etc etc etc..." You know how people see stickers and figure it's all legit and build a giant story around them.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to lots of the Fiero gatherings in Texas in 1st decade of 2000s. I don't remember seeing that one at any of them.
Better get it out from between those 2 halloween colored Japanese tractors before something bad happens to it tho.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, do I think that Fiero is totally cool ! I love the red white and blue nose art. There's a good chance that will end up on my white 87. Nice car !
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2018 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

From the outside it looks like a stock Fiero with painted side moldings and decals.

I agree. Even the hood "vents" are fake.

...although I'm a little curious what the decal in the following image says. Squint, and you can almost see 4.9 LITER V8

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-23-2018).]

rickwtexas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2018 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rickwtexasSend a Private Message to rickwtexasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some progress... owner is thinking about a price so I'm getting closer. To be honest I have never owned a Fiero, only borrowed a 86 GT from time to time many years ago. I'm a Pontiac nut and I'm thinking about letting my 1975 Grand Am go and try out a Fiero project. In the 1980's I raced a 1974 SAAB 99 in SCCA and a Fiero owned by a dentist was always winning my class.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2018 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rickwtexas:

Some progress... owner is thinking about a price so I'm getting closer. To be honest I have never owned a Fiero, only borrowed a 86 GT from time to time many years ago. I'm a Pontiac nut and I'm thinking about letting my 1975 Grand Am go and try out a Fiero project. In the 1980's I raced a 1974 SAAB 99 in SCCA and a Fiero owned by a dentist was always winning my class.

When was it last inspected? Last time driven? I assume an 87 model but the 88's are the best stock for stock. Besides the paint job it's probably just a stock auto 2.8 which is not so great in todays standards.
IMO, a Fiero are great cars once you fix the stock shortcoming's (Drivetrain, Brakes, Lights, Suspension, etc). If you can find an 88 3800 swapped Fiero I'd start my project there.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI, Fieros aren't very competitive in SCCA anymore. Nowadays, it's all about the Miatas.
rickwtexas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rickwtexasSend a Private Message to rickwtexasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah I figured Miatas rule the roost. Back then Lotus elans, 240z's and Civics were the quickest. I raced a Toyota FX16 for a bit too before kids came along I gave up fun for family. Maybe this will good for weekend run arounds.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check it good for rust.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2018 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by maryjane:

I went to lots of the Fiero gatherings in Texas in 1st decade of 2000s. I don't remember seeing that one at any of them.
Better get it out from between those 2 halloween colored Japanese tractors before something bad happens to it tho.

Glad to see ya post MJ!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2018 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the decades I with I had a dolloar for every Fiero I have seen that was made up to look as a racer.

The sad part is some o& the owners I spoke to claim they race them and it was obvious they were never on the track driven in competition.

I remember one from the 90’s done up like the goodwrench car only in all black it really looked nice. The owner also did not claim it as a race car either. It was kind of an EARNHARDT tribute car crossed with Huffaker.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock