Started on: 10-20-2018 09:54 PM
Replies: 13 (338 views)
Last post by: FieroGT42 on 10-22-2018 02:29 PM
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Domestic violence situation. Need to figure out how to move car that was undergoing work.

Cradle is out. Front crossmember is out. Control arms/struts off, hubs apart, etc. bolts for all these have walked off intentionally. Anyone else had experience doing this or good ideas? I don't even have access to look at the car until I say I'm ready to move it, so I can't really design anything myself.

Please let me know any good/cheap ideas. I'm trying to find some kind of trailer or flatbed big enough, but I'd need a way to get it on so... but hten not move. So making a dolly, even if there were really stable attaching points, doesn't sound safe.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A forklift with wooden blocks in appropriate locations could pick it up and place it on blocks on a trailer.
Depending on terrain and accessibility, the construction site type that lifts loads to upper building floors might be needed.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 10-20-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:
bolts for all these have walked off intentionally.

Uh oh...

I would suggest jacking up the car, and setting it down on a pair of wooden 4x4s (or other size, possible stacked 2x4s). Then, using beefy lag screws (two per side), screw through the floorpan into the 4x4s. Use large washers below the heads of the lag screws. Cut a bevel on the leading edge of the wood so it doesn't hang up on small bumps.

Your Fiero should now have a pair of skids on which it can be dragged around, without damaging its underside.

Obviously, you'll have to drill holes in the floor so the screws can pass through... this is a relatively minor issue to address when everything is back under control. You may want to drill these to a standard diameter with a stepped drill bit to easily plug them with caplugs. Or you can weld in patches after.

I did this to my previous Fiero (that was missing a cradle and rear wheels) that I was sending to the junkyard. The tow truck's winch was able to drag the car out the garage (without too much damage to the garage floor's paint), and onto the bed of the tow truck.
In the garage, on skids (you can see them if you look under the car), ready to go:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...25.msg33016#msg33016
On the tow truck:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...25.msg33056#msg33056

The more bodies you have to manhandle the car, the easier it will be.

If you have ramps on your trailer, you might be able to get the Fiero on it with a big come-a-long, but I'm speculating here.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-20-2018).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long shot but....Find a fiero in JY, pull front crossmember/suspension as a unit........Then, when you go get car, just install it- just snug up screws/bolts since you are going to put it on a trailer or flatbed. The subframe/suspension is almost totally self-contained....The only parts that attach to the chassis beyond the subframe are the rear lower A-arm bolts and the diagonal supports.......4 bolts on main subframe, 3 on each side for the upper angle brackets, 2 thru the rear A-arm mounts, and 4 on the 2 diagonal supports......

You should be able to roll the subframe on tires right under the chassis with no problem- even without the rear of the lower A-arms being tied down......
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Uh oh...

I would suggest jacking up the car, and setting it down on a pair of wooden 4x4s (or other size, possible stacked 2x4s). Then, using beefy lag screws (two per side), screw through the floorpan into the 4x4s. Use large washers below the heads of the lag screws. Cut a bevel on the leading edge of the wood so it doesn't hang up on small bumps.

Your Fiero should now have a pair of skids on which it can be dragged around, without damaging its underside.

Obviously, you'll have to drill holes in the floor so the screws can pass through... this is a relatively minor issue to address when everything is back under control. You may want to drill these to a standard diameter with a stepped drill bit to easily plug them with caplugs. Or you can weld in patches after.

I did this to my previous Fiero (that was missing a cradle and rear wheels) that I was sending to the junkyard. The tow truck's winch was able to drag the car out the garage (without too much damage to the garage floor's paint), and onto the bed of the tow truck.
In the garage, on skids (you can see them if you look under the car), ready to go:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...25.msg33016#msg33016
On the tow truck:
https://www.fieromontreal.c...25.msg33056#msg33056

The more bodies you have to manhandle the car, the easier it will be.

If you have ramps on your trailer, you might be able to get the Fiero on it with a big come-a-long, but I'm speculating here.

You still have 2 wheels, greatly reducing the friction. 2 rolling points, and the wooden "skids" are down to a small contact patch.

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Long shot but....Find a fiero in JY,

All near me were crushed at least a few years ago.
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroGT42

2992 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by Gall757:

How were you able to attach the frame to the dolly? And how to keep it from shifting on a trailer in corners or if any hard emergency braking takes place?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How were you able to attach the frame to the dolly? And how to keep it from shifting on a trailer in corners or if any hard emergency braking takes place?

All good questions. I saved that picture from a very old thread....I was not there to see what happened....
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Once it's on the trailer, you could jack it up from the dolly, put blocks underneath & strap it down tight onto the blocks.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be inclined to hire a flatbed/roillback wrecker. Let them drag the car up onto the bed. The rest of the stuff (rear cradle and front crossmember can be dragged/piled onto the flatbed, as well. There should be plenty of room.
Maybe have a pickup handy, for miscellaneous loose pieces.

You'll have to have a somewhat "understanding" wrecker driver.

Edit - I rolled a damaged spaceframe out of my garage on a single furniture dolly.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-21-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A trailer with a winch, preferably a tilt trailer.
If you can jack up one end of the car maybe you could back partially under the car then winch it on.
Ramps / boards, etc as needed.
?
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But the ground effects hang below the frame/seat pan, don't they?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My ideas may be kinda "out there."
What springs to my mind is how we move an ice fishing house. They just have basically wooden rails under them that are used like skis. If there was a way to get some 4x4s or larger under there. A couple 2x4s screwed together? You could use them like skis under the whole car. Could notch them so they grab something under the car, or bolt fasten somehow? Then it could slide on the ground. How high it is off the ground depends on the boards.
?

Securing to the trailer, maybe straps with one hook end in a frame hole and one to the trailer? Do you have time to remove the front or rear fascia, than might help?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-22-2018).]

FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, tying it down if it's on skids would be safe. Still not sure what to winch on without wrecking the front bumper and how to attach skids or a dolly without making big holes.

Unfortunately I can't just go look at the car when I want to.

Thanks for all the help so far.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock