Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What 88 specific parts are no longer available?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What 88 specific parts are no longer available? by smartaxel
Started on: 10-14-2018 09:25 PM
Replies: 28 (924 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 10-22-2018 02:37 PM
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our Fiero club was having a discussion today about pre-87 versus 88. The topic of parts availability came up and we wanted to document a few things. Can you all help with listing what 88 specific parts are no longer available? Are there parts that someone buying an 88 may need to keep an eye out for?

I have been out of the Fiero game for a bit, and just picked up an 88, so really this will help me as well in case there are parts I need to look out for too.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well lets see how good the old brain works. It has been a while since I had an 88. I drove the 88 for 12 years- year round and put 100,000 miles on it. When I bought it, it had 87,000 on it. It was replaced with an 87. Front hubs/wheel bearings. I dont think you can get them. Rodney did them for a while but not sure if he still does. The parking brake cables are different, last time i tried to get them from AC/Delco several were not available. I used to have a couple, but not sure if I still do. Steering racks, cores were hard to get for rebuilds. Brakes are completely different. Seems like the rear calipers(rebuilts) were hard to get because of the lack of cores. Rear splash shields. Seems Rodney stopped making them. His were correct, the ones I got from Fiero Store where not correct and I had to make lots of "adjustments". Seems like some parts for the 2.5 but I dont recall. Sorry Smartaxle that's about all this old brain can remember. LOL I have a set of fairly nice front 88 hubs that I am keeping. Stored up in the garage. Oh brake parts like pins and the tiny springs to keep the pads on used to be hard to get. I have kept a few. I mentioned brakes. Standard brakes... the slider pins are different than 84-87 brakes and sliders. I got to the point I could get the sliders out and get them smooth and back on and working in a decent time. Oh I almost forgot. I was on a mission to find better slider boots. The ones I got from the Fiero Store were not the same. As in the size was incorrect. In my estimation They were bad. They may be different now but back about 5 years ago when I had an 88 they were NO GOOD. AS in the Fiero Store boots were not the same as the factory boots. I have pictures stored that I took comparing them. I did find a source in China, but I would have had to buy thousands of them and at the time I think I was unemployed or auto sales were bad. So I learned to save good boots when ever I ran across them. Read the factory service manual for installing these little buggers. It seems their method worked the best most of the time. LOL I use to buy new HD(several grades better than standard) Cavalier rear rotors and keep them handy. They were a tiny bit larger( a fraction) but worked perfectly and they were cheaper than "88 Fiero". I used them on the rear for standard 88 Fiero brakes for many years and many many miles. Sorry I dont remember if they worked on the front or not. Seems like they did but.. I dont recall. Well this has been good. I got the old brain working. LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-14-2018).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Duplicate

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-14-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unique parts would include exhaust and coolant crossover pipes and both cooling pipes under the car.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Unique parts would include exhaust and coolant crossover pipes and both cooling pipes under the car.

Front suspension,rear suspension
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the gas tank? I thought that the 88 had a slightly larger tank. Is this correct ?
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone..

Gas tanks for 87 and up were larger with the sep. expansion tank. I see rodney has 88 bushings and wheel bearings. Some calipers I still see avail, and FS has 88 suspention parts. I wonder if there are any parts that are truly not avail?
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alternator heat shield is 88 only.
Also, there must be some Formula parts that are 88 only like the lower door Formula decal.
Thanks, Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 10-15-2018).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if Rodney is still doing the wheel bearings?
FIERO JOHN-WI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get you a parts car, cheap, peel off all the stuff people mention on here you should put away. It's a lot cheaper then buying each piece individually, here is a link to theprezzz (wisconsin fiero fanatics president) that he just listed...
https://milwaukee.craigslis...mula/6722865021.html
Formula Owner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The brake master cylinder is slightly different. Slightly smaller bore. The pre-88 version will work, but you won't get quite as much braking for a given amount of pedal pressure.

Front wheels. The GT and Formula front wheels are narrower than the rears. The rears are the same as the pre-88 GT's, but the fronts are unique to 88's.

"Dot matrix" instrument panel design. The pre-88 instrument panels will fit fine, but the "dot matrix" design was 88 only.

Rear sway bar on the V6 models? Not sure about that one.
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While we're at it then.,,,
88 only lined seat skins
88 only interior color (forgot what they call the dark brown)
88 only cradle
88 only rear strut brace
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 10-15-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 Brown is Beechwood.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2018 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of these comments have been spot-on.
With that said, I wouldn't let parts availability be a show stopper. Both of mine are 88s, and even if I didn't have my stash of spares, I would still not hesitate to buy one.

BTW... there are still NOS 88 loaded front calipers available. They will also work in the rear, in a pinch. You'll lose your e-brake, however.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a pair of front brake calipers from O'Rileys about a year ago. Usually im a Fiero Store regular though. Don't remember exactly what I paid for them, but I remember they were a bargan at around $30 a piece.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2018 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Most of these comments have been spot-on.

BTW... there are still NOS 88 loaded front calipers available.

Available where?

Also anything wrong with the remans?
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years back I couldn't find the radiator hoses for an '88 4-cyl Coupe to save my life...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow - SOLD 9/5/2015 //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070673.html
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone' - now enjoyed by my older brother in memory of Dad

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

A few years back I couldn't find the radiator hoses for an '88 4-cyl Coupe to save my life...

Yes I remember that. Seems like some other hoses, like may be fuel filler hoses? Seems like I had an extra coolant hose and sold it to someone on the forum.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 10-17-2018).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Available where?

If I understand correctly, the fronts sold by calipersonline .com are new old stock. The rears are remans. It had been a few years since I looked at their site so I checked again just now.

In all honesty, though, my '88 has remans from Advance Auto at each corner and I have no complaints.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2018 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few things that I have not seen mentioned.

88 only Dot Matrix interior
88 only rear sway bar/brackets
88 only 6 x 15 rims, (front are 88 only)
88 only rear strut top brackets
88 only rear trunk lid. (88 had the radio noise filter put into the lid)
88 only twin exhaust cut out, coupe/formula rear fascia.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 10-17-2018).]

Skull_Bandit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2018 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Skull_BanditSend a Private Message to Skull_BanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that Autozone carries front struts, and the wheel hubs. And as mentioned above Advanced does carry rear calipers still. I think all of the local parts stores have front calipers. And my 86 has the mentioned alternator heat shield. Don't know if a prior owner installed it but it looks original. I know that rear calipers for the 84-87 Autozone doesn't carry, but they do carry the rebuild kits. I've snagged up all of those I could get.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT. 2.8 5 spd
1988 Monte Carlo SS. 350 sbc 700r4

My profile picture will be my Fiero when it is picture worthy.

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skull_Bandit:

I know that Autozone carries front struts, and the wheel hubs. And as mentioned above Advanced does carry rear calipers still. I think all of the local parts stores have front calipers. And my 86 has the mentioned alternator heat shield. Don't know if a prior owner installed it but it looks original. I know that rear calipers for the 84-87 Autozone doesn't carry, but they do carry the rebuild kits. I've snagged up all of those I could get.

You mentioned Pre 88 how about 88?
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skull_Bandit:

Since when does any Fiero have front struts???

Joe
Skull_Bandit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2018 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Skull_BanditSend a Private Message to Skull_BanditEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

You mentioned Pre 88 how about 88?

They do not carry the 1988 rebuild kits

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2018 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Available where?

Also anything wrong with the remans?

calipersonline.com carries the NOS 88 fronts. Sorry. Should have mentioned that. They also carry remanned rear calipers.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Since when does any Fiero have front struts???

Joe

Yeah I see that as a newer / fwd car term that infiltrated Fiero world.
Shocks would be more proper.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I see that as a newer / fwd car term that infiltrated Fiero world.
Shocks would be more proper.

FYI... LOL Struts were invented by a Ford engineer in the late 40's. LOL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

FYI... LOL Struts were invented by a Ford engineer in the late 40's. LOL

Sure..but on the front of rear wheel drive American cars?
I take a strut to be different from a shock, though a shock can be part of a strut.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-22-2018).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2018 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[/b]

[B]Originally posted by 2.5:

Sure..but on the front of rear wheel drive American cars?
I take a strut to be different from a shock, though a shock can be part of a strut.

I understand what you are saying. LOL I find the younger generation, like my children, mid 30's to 40 dont care about cars like my generation. I was a teen in the mid to late 60's. Awesome time to be a "gear head". LOL

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock