Help wanted for a custom 84 by Wraith177
Started on: 09-24-2018 10:28 PM
Replies: 8 (276 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-01-2018 04:50 PM
Wraith177

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I’m in a bit of a bind and I’m coming here hoping for a miracle. I have an 84 that I have all the plans in the world for. But I guess that’s how we humans humor the Lord; we tell him our plans. I blew a brake line the other day, bought the replacement part, all is well... and the old line is so rusted to the car metal line, that there wasn’t even anything to really work with to get it off. So now I’m left with a Fiero that needs to be towed, or have tools brought to it to fix it. Long story short, and factor in personal problems of my own; I have to do something with this car before the first week of October. If I can’t get her fixed I’ll need to sell her. I live near Parker Colorado. She runs and drives, holds a good temp and had the 86 GT rear body panels put on.

------------------
This signature adds .5 bhp.
When in doubt, gun it.
84 2m4 —in progress to— 84 2m8sc
1984 Fiero, LS4, Procharger, F40 6speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hold the brake end w vise grips to get it loose, or tow it to a shop

shem
Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2018 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the vise grips, it’s really on there. And I would have taken it to the shop, but no money and my insurance cancelled on me so they won’t tow it.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2018 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the car currently stuck on the side of the road or at your house? If the brake hose is still attached you can use the vise grips to pinch off the rubber hose and then limp the car home using only rear or front brakes (not certain which one blew). Have a buddy follow you with hazards so you can go slow. Once at home you can try soaking it with PB blasters for a couple days (soaking at least twice daily). If at least home you can save up to have it taken to a shop.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2018 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No insurance. Broken record, but my playing along nicely with others cost me more when other's do not play along accordingly. Kind of a drag on the system. Parasitic even. My $.02, in which it has cost me more than that in life.

Like stated, vice grip the damaged line. Drive home with extreme care. Honestly, good luck.
Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2018 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It’s been at home; thank heaven for that. More WD-40. Still no luck. My vise grips are really old, I’m wondering if they aren’t holding their grip.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2018 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use PB blaster for penetrating oil, WD wont do it. PB any metal nut and bolt think you will ever have to take apart.
What exactly is stuck? the metal end of the brake hose to the brake line fitting?
You may need to replace the line and splice in farther up to a solid less rusty line.
If ths car is really rusty all over I recommend getting a different one to build up your plans with.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-25-2018).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting the tube nut off that fits into the brake line is often a problem. You put a flare nut wrench on them and sometimes that doesn't even work. When all else fails I hold the brake line end with an open end wrench and use a small size Stillson wrench on the tube nut as it gets tighter as you turn.
BTW, if you lost your insurance you should not be driving. If you get caught you will lose your drivers license. if you cause an accident you will be sued and possibly end up in jail. Do what you wish but understand there are consequences.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2018 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In locations where it rusts, the tube nut usually seizes itself to the tube and the tube twists.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock