Started on: 09-19-2018 10:03 PM
Replies: 11 (557 views)
Last post by: Orig88GT-NC on 09-27-2018 09:03 PM
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's that wire/connector for? Don't recall ever seeing that on mine

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2018 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

What's that wire/connector for? Don't recall ever seeing that on mine

Door lock actuator???? Just a guess.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2018 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the door lock actuatorsive seen are in the door and use a bell crank to move a rod that operated the lock part of the lock/catch mechanism

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2018 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wire is for the "door open" switch - not on earlier cars. I forget what year they were added.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2018 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That must be a lock from a later (Non-Fiero) car......The biggest problem with the door latches is that the plastic coating on the contact pieces wears off....And I don't know of any way to replace/repair it.....

Does anyone know which cars used the same basic latch, especially cars manufactured later......so we could get some "lower mileage" ones? A list would be great!
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

That must be a lock from a later (Non-Fiero) car......The biggest problem with the door latches is that the plastic coating on the contact pieces wears off....And I don't know of any way to replace/repair it.....

Does anyone know which cars used the same basic latch, especially cars manufactured later......so we could get some "lower mileage" ones? A list would be great!

What makes you say it is from a "non-Fiero"?

The assembly in my 88 is exactly the same. I do agree about the plastic part being worn.

I do know that there was some difference between the lock that came from my 85 parts car compared to the 88 - but I don't recall what this was exactly as that was more than 5 years ago that I was going to install the 85 locks (that I refurbished) into my 88. Might have just been something simple like the bracket for screwing on the switch was missing (earlier cars had the door ajar switch at the front of the door vs at the latch).

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-26-2018).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ajar switch for Fiero in on the latch inside for door for most or all years. Think is a 2 wire connection at A pillar to the door.
84 maybe on the jam switch(s) that turn on dome light etc.

Latch switch turn on sooner then many jam switch at front of door framing.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2018 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have only a no-options 85 Fiero and read the statement above mine (Possibly mis-interpreted) that the Fiero did not have a wire on the latch assembly......And assumed that this made it obvious that this was NOT a Fiero latch........My mistake.......

I still ask the question; Which cars had a similar latch to the latest date? I would like to get some less-worn latches if possible....It would really be good to get a four-door GM car with rear latches that would fit...The "mileage" on the rear latches would generally be much lower than the fronts.....
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2018 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Part nos are 16608172 for pass side, 16608173 for drivers side.
I found one site that says it also fits a 1984 Olds Toronado. Good luck finding one of those!

------------------

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 09-27-2018).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2018 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is OLDER.....We need a YOUNGER car so we get less-worn out latches.....
PFF
System Bot
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2018 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
REF:
Since the Door AJAR switch (type installed on the latch mechanism) was brought up. I thought I would pass on a little discovery/information...

I have an 88GT and the LH Door AJAR switch broke several years back. I was unable to find a new LH switch. (GM#1660249).. Fiero Store doesn't carry them, and no other vendor showed them available any longer.

After a bit of research I found the same switches were used on some other GM's/ Bonneville, Cadillac's etc /, they just used a different wire connector and of course a different part number. These switches I found to be readily available across the internet, all that is needed, is to splice the original Fiero wire connector on to the replacement switch.

RH DOOR AJAR SWITCH - Fiero #16602428 - Replacement # 16601912
LH DOOR AJAR SWITCH - Fiero #16602429 - Replacement # 16601913

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Hope this helps someone wanting to fix theirs...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock