Started on: 09-02-2018 12:01 AM
Replies: 9 (443 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 09-05-2018 10:43 AM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

However, the 4.9 seems to have an intake (or head) gasket leak since when I drove it home, the coolant overflow boiled over after I park infront of my house. Ugh, not in the mood for another swap. Any offers?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might just be a bad radiator cap. That will cause the coolant to boil over.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

Might just be a bad radiator cap. That will cause the coolant to boil over.

LOL

Radiator cap will not cause that.

It's a Northstar..... The head bolts are pulling out of the block. I do not understand what it will take for the Fiero world to realize these are bad engines. Even Cadillac dealers are glad they are no longer made.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4.9 is a pushrod engine and predates the N* (4.6 and smaller 4.0 Aurora version).

Overheating can be caused by a lot of issues from poor coolant flow to poor air flow through the radiator, as well as engine related items. Checking the oil for coolant is a good place to start, but if it is clean, then I would start looking at the water pump, pinched coolant tubes, radiator fan working with proper shroud, lower air dam in place, missing air seal flaps on the side of the radiator, etc.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did just have the water pump replaced... FML!
Oddly the temp gauge seems read OK but the temp light would fade on. Perhaps those two wires are reversed?

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-02-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many times the temp light is hooked up to the metal head temperature switch, usually located on the head below the fuel rail fittings.
The 4.9 is the predecessor of the Northstar. Cam in block, OHV.
I've had a few Northstars. Great engine, gobs of power, had no issues and went over 230K miles.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2018 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Many times the temp light is hooked up to the metal head temperature switch, usually located on the head below the fuel rail fittings.
The 4.9 is the predecessor of the Northstar. Cam in block, OHV.
I've had a few Northstars. Great engine, gobs of power, had no issues and went over 230K miles.

This was originally one of the latter lower quality 4.9 swaps the Fiero Store did before Ed retired...in case that makes a difference. I'm still leaning towards an intake gasket leak... I guess only a compression test will tell me for sure if it's heads or intake...
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2018 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
seems like it takes a few minutes for both ends of the radiator to get warm...as it the driver's side gets warm first then several minutes later the passenger side finally gets warm...
so is this a cap issue or is the radiator clogged up
car was sitting for a while only got it running again recently then it showed the cooling issues...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-04-2018).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2018 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about from bottom of the radiator compared to the top? Lots of sediment can accumulate in the bottom of them blocking flow.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

How about from bottom of the radiator compared to the top? Lots of sediment can accumulate in the bottom of them blocking flow.

Didn't check that...but that would confirm a radiator issue, correct?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock