Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  $30,000 ?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
$30,000 ? by mousemeat
Started on: 08-14-2018 06:39 PM
Replies: 14 (559 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 08-26-2018 11:11 PM
mousemeat
Member
Posts: 124
From: Memphis, TN.USA
Registered: May 2018


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatClick Here to Email mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a '88 Fiero GT for sale...out of PA.....with only 41 original miles....original plastic still in seats, floor, etc...

the asking price...$ 30.000......so whatta think ? myself, little to rich for my blood....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua
Member
Posts: 14269
From: Hillsborough, NJ U.S.A.
Registered: May 2000


Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 324
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that anyone who buys this car for $30K is paying a high price but it is the one year production 88. A rich car collector like Jay Leno might go for it.
In comparison you can find low mile Corvette ZR1's and low miles Challenger Hemi's advertised for less. What car would you rather have for $30K?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
armos
Member
Posts: 583
From:
Registered: Aug 2010


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2018 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure there are collectors who could pay it, but I don't get the impression Fieros have much of a following among people who play in that end of the pool. I'm guessing it will come down significantly before there's a buyer - but it only takes one person who wants it.

I think a completely undriven car like that is an awkward niche. After 30 years I'd feel guilty removing the plastic or adding miles to it, because that's what makes it special at this point. If you want to drive it then you might as well spend 1/3 as much and get a pristine low miles driver instead. The latter will probably have less mechanical issues then a car that has been 100% idle. The fuel system would be the biggest concern, but if it still has gasoline from 1988 in the tank, maybe it doesn't have any ethanol and was spared the worst. Best case would be if somebody had the foresight to fill it with racing or aviation fuel.
IP: Logged
USMUCL
Member
Posts: 587
From: Purcellville, VA
Registered: Jan 2017


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2018 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A car like that stops being an automobile and becomes a stationary trophy or conversation piece. As said above, if you drive it, you kill the reason it MIGHT be worth $30k (or $30k+ in the future).

To even drive it, you'd have to put more money into it to make it road worthy.

If I was a collector that had a warehouse full of trophy cars, it would be a cool addition. Frankly, if you have the kind of money to have a couple dozen collector cars, it probably doesn't matter to you if you pay $15k or $30k. The difference would be peanuts in the long run and in comparison to your other vehicle investments.
IP: Logged
andreww
Member
Posts: 232
From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Registered: Sep 2011


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never really understood why people do stuff like that? I can see having a low milage car, mine has less than 500kms on it this summer, but to buy a car and let it sit for decades just doesn't make any sense. Even if the guy were to get $30K, which he definitely won't, he would have been far better off investing his original purchase price over 30 years. But if he was going to buy a car and let it sit, I wonder why he wouldn't have picked up a used Ferrari 308, which could be had for not much more than a new Fiero back in 88? Nice examples of a 308 are now in the area of $100K. Even a Porsche 914 would have been a far better investment.

Anyway, I remember taking my beautifully cared for 84 2M4 to my first Fiero show back in 2002. I'm feeling pretty good about my car until some girl from Michigan rolls up her trailer and pulls off the identical car, only with about 200 miles on the odometer. Still in plastics, dealer stickers on the windows, etc. Kind of demoralizing as by that point I'd put in about 18 years of care, and this girl shows up with a car that she'd bought a few months previous and gets ALL the attention. So I hate those cars

IP: Logged
USMUCL
Member
Posts: 587
From: Purcellville, VA
Registered: Jan 2017


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by andreww:

Never really understood why people do stuff like that? I can see having a low milage car, mine has less than 500kms on it this summer, but to buy a car and let it sit for decades just doesn't make any sense. Even if the guy were to get $30K, which he definitely won't, he would have been far better off investing his original purchase price over 30 years. But if he was going to buy a car and let it sit, I wonder why he wouldn't have picked up a used Ferrari 308, which could be had for not much more than a new Fiero back in 88? Nice examples of a 308 are now in the area of $100K. Even a Porsche 914 would have been a far better investment.

Anyway, I remember taking my beautifully cared for 84 2M4 to my first Fiero show back in 2002. I'm feeling pretty good about my car until some girl from Michigan rolls up her trailer and pulls off the identical car, only with about 200 miles on the odometer. Still in plastics, dealer stickers on the windows, etc. Kind of demoralizing as by that point I'd put in about 18 years of care, and this girl shows up with a car that she'd bought a few months previous and gets ALL the attention. So I hate those cars


People did it because common "knowledge" in the early 90's was that the Fieros would become valuable collectors.

Who knows . . . maybe they still will.

IP: Logged
andreww
Member
Posts: 232
From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Registered: Sep 2011


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by USMUCL:


People did it because common "knowledge" in the early 90's was that the Fieros would become valuable collectors.

Who knows . . . maybe they still will.


I take it you are saying that sarcastically? Cars that are produced in the quantities that Fieros were produced never become valuable collectors cars. The 88 cars have become slightly collectable as that was the only year they were produced with the upgraded suspension, but even those were produced in huge numbers. Look back at the American made cars that have become valuable and you will find they all have one thing in common, low production numbers.
IP: Logged
Tony Kania
Member
Posts: 20794
From: The Inland Northwest
Registered: Dec 2008


Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2018 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Statistically speaking, the Fiero is the only Fiero.
IP: Logged
Thunderstruck GT
Member
Posts: 2657
From:
Registered: Oct 2015


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL!

A lot of jealous people in here.

Some of them should trade their Fiero in on a Cavalier or Dodge Neon.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 08-21-2018).]

IP: Logged
Dennis LaGrua
Member
Posts: 14269
From: Hillsborough, NJ U.S.A.
Registered: May 2000


Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 324
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

LOL!

A lot of jealous people in here.

Some of them should trade their Fiero in on a Cavalier or Dodge Neon.


Jealous? Surely you are kidding What the heck is one going to do with a virtually new $30K Fiero except keep it as a trailer queen or as an exhibition piece.? If you drive it the value drops by more than half. Quite frankly if I cannot drive my cars and enjoy them, they are useless. I would say most of us here are Fiero drivers and that's the fun of owning one.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38922
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 455
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2018 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by andreww:

... Look back at the American made cars that have become valuable and you will find they all have one thing in common, low production numbers.


Late '60s - early '70s GTOs, Chevelles, and especially Cudas and Challengers are going for some huge coin. Especially in nice original condition.
Even "tribute" cars (clones) are going for fairly big money, if they're nicely done. None of them were really low volume. Especially the cars that become "tributes". Chevy sold a bazillion '70-'72 Chevelles.

With that said, I don't care anything about collector cars. I also want something that I can drive around, and not worry about it getting wrecked.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-21-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
andreww
Member
Posts: 232
From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Registered: Sep 2011


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Raydar:


Late '60s - early '70s GTOs, Chevelles, and especially Cudas and Challengers are going for some huge coin. Especially in nice original condition.
Even "tribute" cars (clones) are going for fairly big money, if they're nicely done. None of them were really low volume. Especially the cars that become "tributes". Chevy sold a bazillion '70-'72 Chevelles.

With that said, I don't care anything about collector cars. I also want something that I can drive around, and not worry about it getting wrecked.



Exactly my point. Compare Cuda production numbers to that of the Fiero. In 1971 there were only 108 Hemi Cudas + 11 convertibles. Those cars were rare in 1971, and obviously uber rare in 2018.

[This message has been edited by andreww (edited 08-22-2018).]

IP: Logged
USMUCL
Member
Posts: 587
From: Purcellville, VA
Registered: Jan 2017


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2018 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by andreww:


I take it you are saying that sarcastically? Cars that are produced in the quantities that Fieros were produced never become valuable collectors cars. The 88 cars have become slightly collectable as that was the only year they were produced with the upgraded suspension, but even those were produced in huge numbers. Look back at the American made cars that have become valuable and you will find they all have one thing in common, low production numbers.


I was being sarcastic . . . but only in that we were wrong (to this point). Around my old stomping grounds (Northern VA), I heard on countless occasions in the early 90s how these cars were going to be worth serious money someday because of their uniqueness and because they were only made 5 years.

And the production numbers weren't THAT great. And certainly there aren't that many that have survived to this point. So, in the "supply and demand" calculation, your argument is faulty -- its not that the supply is high, its that the demand is still relatively low. That could change, but we'll have to wait and see.

IP: Logged
johnyrottin
Member
Posts: 5238
From: Northwest Florida
Registered: Oct 2007


Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinClick Here to Email johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, If anyone is looking for $30k trophy car I have the 88 GT that belonged to Hulki!!! Just PM me...
IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38922
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 455
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2018 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by andreww:


Exactly my point. Compare Cuda production numbers to that of the Fiero. In 1971 there were only 108 Hemi Cudas + 11 convertibles. Those cars were rare in 1971, and obviously uber rare in 2018.



No... My point was that even the clone/tribute/resto-mod cars are going for decent money, in good condition. Never mind the low volume Hemi stuff.
There's nothing really special about a Chevelle 2-door post (sedan) that's been made into an SS clone, with an LS engine, other than it is what it is.
Even though there's nothing original about it, I don't think you could buy it for less than $30K, in decent shape. Just a SWAG. Maybe more, by now. I don't follow them that closely.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-26-2018).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock