My funny visit to the Pontiac Plant #17 by Quad Raider
Started on: 08-07-2018 09:16 AM
Replies: 14 (584 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 08-09-2018 12:32 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Fiero guy?" the security guard asked me. The question surprised me so much all I could say was, "What?"

"Fiero guy?" he asked again. I just started laughing and finally said, "Is it that obvious?" He smiled then said, "You're not the first."

My wife and I had made a detour to the Detroit area on our yearly trip from Oologah, Oklahoma to visit my sister in southeast Pennsylvania. On the afternoon of Saturday, August 4th, 2018, I parked our rental car in that little side driveway outside the old Fiero factory at 900 Baldwin Avenue in Pontiac and got out to take pictures of the sign.

After a few minutes I moved the car to the north end of the building and was snapping more photos when the security guard finally walked up to me. I told him I'd bought my Fiero in January of 2011 but still hadn't gotten it on the road. "You will," he said. I laughed again and thanked him.

I took some more photos then got back in the car and headed south on Baldwin to resume the trip. About a hundred yards south of the factory a red GT in excellent condition passed us headed north. My wife and I started laughing at the serendipity.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly thought this was all torn down a few years ago. I remember people going over to pickup bricks during the demolition.

I have the same photo with my Subaru next to the Pontiac Sign.

Thanks for the update.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 08-07-2018).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a great story, thank you for posting it. I'll have to get down there someday WITH my GT. I would love a pic of it under the sign.

Tim

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I told him I'd bought my Fiero in January of 2011 but still hadn't gotten it on the road. "You will," he said.

I like it
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the Fiero going past you have....Angel wings....? (Great story, by the way!)
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my picture there in the 25th. Back then the sign was still showing good. Back then I lived in FL. Funny now I pass by all the time I go to the GLC outlets.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

I honestly thought this was all torn down a few years ago.

Most of it was, yes. Hard to see from this angle, but the older, brick-wall portion of the plant is gone, leaving this end of it still standing (the part with the corrugated metal walls).

The sign really looks weatherbeaten!

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool story!

Ten years of neglect have really done a number on that sign... Here is how it looked for the 25th.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2018 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made the trip several times before I finally got there with a Fiero

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2018 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was lucky as back in the 90’s I got a photo of my car and the Fiero sign and bridge while they were still up.

I would post it but it was BD, Before Digital.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2018 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might have been me passing you in the '87GT. Live about 10-12 miles north of there off Baldwin. Often go cruise Woodward and use Baldwin Rd. to get to the old "Widetrack", now the Woodward Loop (in Pontiac). Funny, if you drive some of those neighborhoods around the old plant site you will see a few Fieros sitting around.

There was a "brick grab" going on there for some time as they were tearing down most of the south end of the complex along Baldwin.

Like most of the old Pontiac facilities, GM has done a great job of deidentifying, or turning back to brown fields, many of their closed plant sites. Guess they've had enough bad PR over the years.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A very long time Pontiac person here. I have owned GTO's, Firebirds, Grand Prix's, Catalinas and of course, Fieros. To me, this thread is depressing.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Might have been me passing you in the '87GT. Live about 10-12 miles north of there off Baldwin. Often go cruise Woodward and use Baldwin Rd. to get to the old "Widetrack", now the Woodward Loop (in Pontiac). Funny, if you drive some of those neighborhoods around the old plant site you will see a few Fieros sitting around.

There was a "brick grab" going on there for some time as they were tearing down most of the south end of the complex along Baldwin.

Like most of the old Pontiac facilities, GM has done a great job of deidentifying, or turning back to brown fields, many of their closed plant sites. Guess they've had enough bad PR over the years.

I hoped it was another forum member. Would’ve been about 2:25 p.m. on Saturday.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

A very long time Pontiac person here. I have owned GTO's, Firebirds, Grand Prix's, Catalinas and of course, Fieros. To me, this thread is depressing.

Same here. I grew up loving Pontiacs, especially GTOs. My first car was a 1970 LeMans Sport, so I had serious GTO envy. I didn’t stop to think what other models had been built here until after I’d already visited it. Learning that GTOs and so many of the other great Pontiacs were built here made me even more thankful to have made the journey.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2018 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was not me at 2:25pm

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 08-10-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock