Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What stupid thing I did to my Fiero today......

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What stupid thing I did to my Fiero today...... by kgoodyear
Started on: 07-16-2018 09:18 PM
Replies: 19 (486 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 07-19-2018 12:45 AM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I'm mounting my new racing seats into my 87 GTP. I had to kind of modify how they are mounted to make a bit more room for my head. I drilled a hole through the floor and right squarely into the radiator pipe. I patched it until I can figure out what I am going to do. Now I have to figure out another way to mount my seats too!!

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

So I'm mounting my new racing seats into my 87 GTP. I had to kind of modify how they are mounted to make a bit more room for my head. I drilled a hole through the floor and right squarely into the radiator pipe. I patched it until I can figure out what I am going to do. Now I have to figure out another way to mount my seats too!!

We have all had days like that.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero store carry's new coolant pipes for $129.00. or you could try taking the pipe down and soldering up the hole. Either way you'll need a high lift but I don't see too many alternatives. If you have an 88 then the high lift may not be necessary.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The Fiero store carry's new coolant pipes for $129.00. or you could try taking the pipe down and soldering up the hole. Either way you'll need a high lift but I don't see too many alternatives. If you have an 88 then the high lift may not be necessary.

Fortunately I do have a car lift. After the car, it was the first thing I bought. I don't see how anyone can work on a Fiero or for that matter any car without one! Right now just wrapped it in a rubber hose with a pipe clamp while I continue working on finishing up the interior.

------------------
Goody

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:0
Isn't pipe made of low grade SS?
SS and most solders hate each other. Many time may look joint is stuck but act as "Cold joint" and fail anytime later.

Many Epoxy and other "glues" can have similar problems.

hole need a patch or plug not just solder etc.

Can use rubber and whatever clamp(s) to seal simple holes.
Normal house plumbing as example... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B...129011_t2_B00HYWESX2
Small hole can be done w/ smaller clamp.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Kgood, welcome to the human race ! We all goof up here and there.
To bad you don't live by me. I work in a steel fabrication shop and the welders there would easily be able to patch it up. I brought my whole Fiero in there for frame repair If theres a similar shop near you give them a try. Maybe theres a helpful person there who can remedy your problem.
Theres also a pair of coolant lines on ebay. There for an 88,
Whatever the case, I hope you find a fix to your problem.
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofrenzy

851 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Hey Kgood, welcome to the human race ! We all goof up here and there.
To bad you don't live by me. I work in a steel fabrication shop and the welders there would easily be able to patch it up. I brought my whole Fiero in there for frame repair If theres a similar shop near you give them a try. Maybe theres a helpful person there who can remedy your problem.
Theres also a pair of coolant lines on ebay. There for an 88,
Whatever the case, I hope you find a fix to your problem.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok....This is a sarcastic comment so just laugh at it; Said with unabated enthusiasm, "To mount your seats, you should go inward! Mount them to the center console! Use a Loooooonnnnggg drill and drill holes thru the center console for mounting screws.......WAIT! Was there something special about the center console on fieros....? Anyway, you may want to smoke a cig while doing the drilling!"

(Actually, there was a couple of guys WELDING on a gas tank somewhere- You can imagine how that.....Flamed out......).
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Ok....This is a sarcastic comment so just laugh at it; Said with unabated enthusiasm, "To mount your seats, you should go inward! Mount them to the center console! Use a Loooooonnnnggg drill and drill holes thru the center console for mounting screws.......WAIT! Was there something special about the center console on fieros....? Anyway, you may want to smoke a cig while doing the drilling!"

(Actually, there was a couple of guys WELDING on a gas tank somewhere- You can imagine how that.....Flamed out......).

That's funny!!!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have actually recently set myself on fire.......HIGH FIVE!
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have actually recently set myself on fire.......HIGH FIVE!

You win! cvxjet, i hope you are alright.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was trying to burn a bucket of Goathead weed.....It was down to smoldering, so I took a paper cup of gas and threw it on it....Then my hand/cup caught fire....Never felt any heat- just slapped it out (The cup was a little worse for wear, tho.....) (Lesson learned...Let the fire go out completely, then add gas)
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was trying to burn a bucket of Goathead weed.....It was down to smoldering, so I took a paper cup of gas and threw it on it....Then my hand/cup caught fire....Never felt any heat- just slapped it out (The cup was a little worse for wear, tho.....) (Lesson learned...Let the fire go out completely, then add gas)

A mistake is just a lesson learned only if one reflects on it. You still win!! I am glad you are good to go.
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah. I really don't want to talk about it. Not happy.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTGeff:

Yeah. I really don't want to talk about it. Not happy.

It's like flying, if you walk away it's a good landing......

GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

It's like flying, if you walk away it's a good landing......

I did walk away but did not stick the landing. It will not just buff out.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can you blame someone else?

------------------
Goody

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What did I miss? I hope everything is Ok.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

What did I miss? I hope everything is Ok.

So GTGeff you can see here you have some good folk wondering how things are going. I think maybe you should cowboy up and let us know what is going on. Perhaps we might be able to help.

------------------
Goody

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something similar happened on a non-Fiero race car, but a metal coolant pipe with a hole. Used a piece of appropriately sized radiator hose, smeared a thin coat of RTV on it, and then used hose clamps to hold it in place. It wasn't a problem before we scrapped the engine years later.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock