1987 Fiero GT with only 17k miles! by det45
Started on: 07-15-2018 01:50 PM
Replies: 30 (648 views)
Last post by: JJFieroFan on 07-21-2018 10:12 AM
det45

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for det45Send a Private Message to det45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one clean car. Congratulations!
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks minty very nice!

shem
mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by det45:

Hello all, just purchased a 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT with only 17k original miles. I paid $9,800.00 for the car. What do you all think?

http://s1174.photobucket.co...zkhfcz2.jpg.html?o=4
http://s1174.photobucket.co...brcr5tk.jpg.html?o=0
http://s1174.photobucket.co...vlj9ou3.jpg.html?o=3
http://s1174.photobucket.co...7k5kkl2.jpg.html?o=1
http://s1174.photobucket.co...d6087ro.jpg.html?o=2

Mike Morris

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MorrisSend a Private Message to Mike MorrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car. Good luck with it

------------------
1999 Camaro Z28 B4C Heads Cam Intake Stall etc
1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 331 R block S trim Intercooled
1988 MR2 SC Cammed,Pulley etc
1988 Corvette Cammed stalled bolt ons
1985 Fiero SE V6-Transgo,stall,K&N

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2018 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the club.

Got one just like it except it’s a 5 speed, 69,000 mi.. Yours sure looks well kept!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really nice but IMO you payed a premium price. Low mileage 30 yr old cars will still require replacement of rubber parts like tires, belts, hoses, seals and hoses. If the previous owner was diligent perhaps he replaced some of these parts. I would start by replacing the brake hoses as if they collapse internally they will eventually lock up the brakes. I would then work on the coolant hoses, belts and check the tires for the date of manufacture. If the A/C needs to be topped off then you will need to find some obsolete R12 or convert to R-134a. All things considered, this is a very nice clean car.
Welcome to the club and be prepared to roll up your sleeves!

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the tires don't have date codes.

Anything rubber is suspect. Check the motor mounts, transmission mounts, radiator hoses, fuel hoses, end links, tie rods, and ball joints.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 07-18-2018).]

lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Looks really nice but IMO you payed a premium price.

Good grief, always someone has to chime in like this. I disagree about the price being high. For a mint 87 GT it's not too high at all. Yes, it's likely some old plastic/rubber parts will need some TLC, but so what? You couldn't take a $500 shitbucket and make it this nice for $9300, and even if you did it wouldn't be a survivor like this one. Survivors/unrestored cars in good, great, and especially excellent condition are highly desireable...in all makes/models.

Quit dumping on people's purchases. And it's "paid", not "payed".
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2018 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you all think?

http://s1174.photobucket.co...zkhfcz2.jpg.html?o=4

I think you should get a handle on embedding images, like this... (although if you're running a Windows PC, PIP is the preferable way to host/post images here. Max width - 1024 pixels. Max file size 300 kb.)

Nice car.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one just like it, but with 160,000 miles
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wowww That's nice ! Looks like Fiero Stores calendar car for next year ! Every month too !

P.S. some guys get a little to deep on here. Checking out rubber and ageing parts is a good idea though. You have a beautiful Fiero to be proud of.

oh, check the air in the tires.....is it freah ? lol
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofrenzy

851 posts
Member since Nov 2006
"FRESH " that is...…..
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, OP. I think your price is reasonable . . . . I paid $7500 for mine with 9970 miles on it. But, mine is an 86 SE. It is what I wanted, but doesn't command the price the fastbacks do.

As for maintenance expectations, I had to do a lot to "refresh" mine, and it is just about done -- I'll be doing a thread on it soon. It was garage kept, but sitting still was rough on some parts. Some of the things I did:

Tires, brakes, brake cables, bearings, shocks, struts, oil pan gasket, axle seals, all fluids, all filters, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap/rotor, headlight motors, clutch slave and master cylinders, headliner, speakers, fuel tank cleaning, fuel sender/pump, and multiple sensors.

So, expect some work ahead of you. But, you have a solid canvas with which to start
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Good grief, always someone has to chime in like this. I disagree about the price being high. For a mint 87 GT it's not too high at all. Yes, it's likely some old plastic/rubber parts will need some TLC, but so what? You couldn't take a $500 shitbucket and make it this nice for $9300, and even if you did it wouldn't be a survivor like this one. Survivors/unrestored cars in good, great, and especially excellent condition are highly desireable...in all makes/models.

I guess that by your standard I am not allowed to express my opinion . IMO the price you payed was way too high as 30 year old cars are still age worn, and always need repair but it's your money to spend as you wish. You criticize my spelling but there are two errors in your post Mr perfect! . You just sound like a hyper sensitive person, where others are not permitted opinions other than your own. Fact is that unless it's an 88, a Fiero is in poor demand.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

opinions are like rear ends...everyone has one....Did the person paid too much ? hard to say....perhaps he had the money in his budget, for such an purchase....the bottom line being..you can't put an price on pleasure..something his fiero has certainly done..

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fact is...

Fact is...
I seldom see a for sale thread (or a "done deal", such as this thread) that involves more than a pittance, that you don't feel the need to piss all over.
And you're about the only person here who does this sh!t.

Maybe your cars are just not worth that much. Feel free to sell them at giveaway prices when you sell.
You come off like an arrogant know-it-all troll. Frankly, I'm embarrassed for you.

I congratulate the O/P for his purchase. It's a very nice car. I hope he gets many years of satisfaction from it.

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess that by your standard I am not allowed to express my opinion . IMO the price you payed was way too high as 30 year old cars are still age worn, and always need repair but it's your money to spend as you wish. You criticize my spelling but there are two errors in your post Mr perfect! . You just sound like a hyper sensitive person, where others are not permitted opinions other than your own. Fact is that unless it's an 88, a Fiero is in poor demand.

Just tired of Fiero people whining about the cars not being appreciated, and then whining and pontificating any time one sells for more than $1000. Oh, and especially when they do that on someone's "I'm excited about the Fiero I just bought" thread. If you want to moan and whinge about Fiero prices, start a separate thread. When it comes to new owner threads, if you don't have anything nice to say, STFU.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the posts here are really comical especially when they start the personal attacks. Thanks for the good laugh! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I talk only about cars not people. Fieros ( except for 88's) are just not valuable or desirable collector cars, mine included. The reason that I own one s because its a cheap low end car with decent looks that I can modify. They are worth very little and most GM collectors won't even touch them. Exclude the 88's (that are valuable) then look on eBay to see what Fieros are selling for. You can buy a very nice 80's Vette for $9,800.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand by my comment.
mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Some of the posts here are really comical especially when they start the personal attacks. Thanks for the good laugh! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
I talk only about cars not people. Fieros ( except for 88's) are just not valuable or desirable collector cars, mine included. The reason that I own one s because its a cheap low end car with decent looks that I can modify. They are worth very little and most GM collectors won't even touch them. Exclude the 88's (that are valuable) then look on eBay to see what Fieros are selling for. You can buy a very nice 80's Vette for $9,800.

Doesn't matter if he bought it for $ 900.00 or $ 9,000....if the buyer was happy with the price, and the Fiero was exactly what he was looking for...well, it's all moot point. you can't put an price on pleasure..Sure, anyone could find one..cheaper....then again, depending on the overall shape of the car, from body-paint-interior..to engine,brakes, drive train ..You could drop several thousand into 'restoring' one..with higher mileage...if you want an near mint Fiero, you'll pay a good price...If you want an beater, you may get it for cheep-loa, but you will probably end up spending long green to bring it up to snuff....anyhow, I'm excited for his purchase...low mileage cars, are always better !
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I see how much Fieros are selling for now, it makes me feel better about what I paid for mine. The prices just keep going up--and the Fieros are selling! This looks to be a nice Fiero, and is probably well worth the purchase price. That having been said, when someone buys a Fiero with 250K unrestored, rusty miles on it and the car won't run, has bad paint, and is missing parts, but the buyer paid $10K for it, I'm PISSED at the seller.

I'm sure the OP will get many happy miles from this Fiero.
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's totally neat one man. Good score

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Welcome to the club.

Got one just like it except it’s a 5 speed, 69,000 mi.. Yours sure looks well kept!

We'll be looking at another 5 speed as well soon right after we finished installing the new rack and undercover flex tonneau cover for kayak mount on the current truck project. It got 90k+ miles but seem in mint condition.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2018 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
det45 , Welcome to the forum. Very nice car. Hope we can help you out with any questions you might have. PFF is the best place for Fiero information.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I think you should get a handle on embedding images, like this... (although if you're running a Windows PC, PIP is the preferable way to host/post images here. Max width - 1024 pixels. Max file size 300 kb.)

Nice car.

Absolutely! Right color too.

And don't let the fear mongers get to you. The car and its price are just fine. All the rubber on my '88 is still like new and my tires, although not original, were installed back in '91.

det45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for det45Send a Private Message to det45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some info I found from Hagerty on the values of these Fieros. Sorry for not posting the pictures correctly. [url=]https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1987-Pontiac-Fiero-GT[/url]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry for not posting the pictures correctly. [url=]https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1987-Pontiac-Fiero-GT[/url]

You've now also botched up the link.

https://www.hagerty.com/app...987-Pontiac-Fiero-GT

Or an even better way to present a link...

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USMUCL:
Tires, brakes, brake cables, bearings, shocks, struts, oil pan gasket, axle seals, all fluids, all filters, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap/rotor, headlight motors, clutch slave and master cylinders, headliner, speakers, fuel tank cleaning, fuel sender/pump, and multiple sensors.

So, expect some work ahead of you.

The thing is, that's hardly any work at all.

If you start with a turd, the to-do list is much longer.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 07-19-2018).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a showroom condition, indoor kept Formula 5 speed In 2008 from the original owner for $10K Canadian with 5200 kilometers (3200 miles) on it.
The heater core and battery were the only things not original. It now has 37,000 km (23,000 miles) on it, the original tires are still looking good.
Over the 10 years I've had it, I replaced the speakers, headlight motor drive pins, brake master cylinder, one caliper, the distributor, the distributor oil seal again, the ignition coil, the pickup coil, the select cable, and the front shocks.
My inclination is to repair or replace as needed; so far - so good. During my 34 years of driving Fieros, I've never been stranded by the failure of anything some suggest should typically be replaced due to age.
Your results may vary...

Pictured here with its barn mates: red '86 2.5L 5 speed with 137,000 km (85,000 miles) (2nd owner), and my original, purchased new '84 SE 4 speed with 379,000 km (235,500 miles) on it.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2018 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

...the original tires are still looking good.

David, please tell me you're not still driving on them!
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2018 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinion: When you look at what it costs fixing them up, that is a great deal. If I find a low mileage for that price I will snap it up. I absolutely love mine, but I will have twice that in it or more and hope to have the reliability. I do have the appearance but will never have low mileage. You get what you pay for. I think as they get older it is more difficult for the non mechanic to bring them back. Tough to get them worked on at a reasonable price. So well done!

------------------
JJFieroFan

85 2m6 (85-91) Black
85 2m6 (CLONE) (00-14) Black
My cars now:
87 Fiero GT (13-now) Back in Black
07 Nissan Murano SL AWD (07-now)
15 Nissan Juke S AWD (15-now)

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic