Rear bumper reflector installation? by Blowerwhine
Started on: 07-09-2018 07:51 PM
Replies: 7 (779 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-14-2018 05:31 PM
Blowerwhine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey folks I haven't gotten the rear bumper off yet but how exactly do you install those rear bumper reflectors on the back? There doesn't seem to be any obvious clips and they didn't come with anything.....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are held in place with thread cutting nuts from the rear of the reflector.

Take the ones off the originals and reuse them on the studs of the new reflectors.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-09-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 569
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
remove the taillights, marker lights and rear bumper enough to access the inside.
put reflector in the holes
put big "speed nut" on the plastic showing thru the bumper. (2 per reflector)

Many types "speed nut," clips, etc, works here but watch too tight or loose... too loose can fall off, too tight can break the plastic over time. Should be fairly easy to push/thread them on.

If you don't want to remove the bumper...
maybe thick 3M trim tape. Thicker is often needed because both parts aren't completely flat. You want weather/water resistant tape not most 2 sided tape made for indoor use sold by HD Kmart etc.
You Must clean both to remove any dirt, oil, wax, etc. Spray a rag w/ brake cleaner then wipe areas for tape.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cheated when I put them on my car. Mine were faded and cracked when I took mine out when prepping the car for paint. I found some decent ones at the scrap yard. I did not feel like taking the bumper off my freshly painted car to install them. I used a silicone adhesive on the back of the reflectors, and the studs lined them up perfectly when I pressed them into place. Not professional I know...... but 4 years later they are still there, and I doubt will ever come out without a whole lot of work hahaha!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 07-09-2018).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
They are held in place with thread cutting nuts from the rear of the reflector.
Take the ones off the originals and reuse them on the studs of the new reflectors.
Many don't have OEM ones and many that have them are rusted and break trying to reused them.

The ones I've seen are just push on clips to hold them. Not even a "speed nut." I can't take a picture right now. Have one but not sure where.

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
I cheated when I put them on my car. Mine were faded and cracked when I took mine out when prepping the car for paint. I found some decent ones at the scrap yard. I did not feel like taking the bumper off my freshly painted car to install them. I used a silicone adhesive on the back of the reflectors, and the studs lined them up perfectly when I pressed them into place. Not professional I know...... but 4 years later they are still there, and I doubt will ever come out without a whole lot of work hahaha!
Any "glue" often need cleaning too. Example, RTV Silicon hates oil wax etc and only luck holding it. Wrong "glue" can hurt the plastic bumper or both so watch what you use.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2018 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All ive seen use the push on flat clips Ogre describes. They just have a hole with a little barb on 2 sides, You just push them on the stud with a socket. Getting them off is harder. I use 3M 2 sided tape myself.
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2018 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

NIce trick. I would do the same especially on a newly painted bumper.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2018 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old rusted OEM clip...

Clip is "dome shape" so goes on one-way
Can stack 3-4 clips trying to = thickness of quarter next to it.
I didn't reused because of rust... Other clip broke because rust made stress risers.
Seen others w/ ear tips are gone.

To "fix" crappy reflectors... I cut reflector tape to fit OE one.
You carefully hold/clip to the reflector then carefully cut the tape inside the "boarder" and DOT label w/ Xacto knife. If done right the "boarder" area can act like 1/2 of scissors as you cut so can get good fit w/ little effort.
Did mine out of bumper but could be done in it w/ different shape blades. Clearing DOT marking is so won't lift the tape letting water etc under.

My D side reflector went "bad" from dirt/exaust inside and can't clean it because nearly 100% "glued" or welded to the back. This one has broken mount ears too so had to fix asap. I drilled 1mm hole of leftover mount and held w/ small SS wire on back of bumper.
Have better one to replace but couldn't find it to pass inspection. A few feet away no-one notice except colors don't mach exact.

If you have dual output exhaust soot can inside both easy...
Dirt Kills Reflectors? Plastic/Glass prismatic reflectors need clean backs to work well because uses plastic/air interface to bounce light. Dirt Exhaust etc can change refractive index and stop working. I clean many taillight fixture w/ builtin reflectors for this reason alone.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock