Crank window handles by fierofrenzy
Started on: 07-02-2018 09:03 PM
Replies: 6 (308 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-03-2018 11:48 AM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, real quick now. The crank window handles on an 87. I don't see any center screw, so I imagine they just pull off. Am I correct? I got my new dew wipes from F.S. today, I plan on doing the job on the 4th since I have the day off.
I did this job twice already, but on both cars they had power windows. so, do I just pry them off ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a clip that hold them on. They make a tool that you can buy at the auto parts store or you can use a red shop towel, slide the edge under the crank til you pull it to the center, then pull it around the handle. It should catch the clip and pull it free. The handle then comes off easy.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't find a close up image so this is from a different car but still the same attachment.

Here is the tool:

You can get away with using a long micro flat blade to slide the clip off if you are careful.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A straightened paper clip with a small hook bent on the end also works. Use one of the large paper clips for strength.

Ron, I like that shop towel trick. Never heard of that one before.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ron768:

...or you can use a red shop towel, slide the edge under the crank til you pull it to the center, then pull it around the handle. It should catch the clip and pull it free.

Years ago when I first read someone posting this method, it didn't make any sense to me. Then one day when I wanted to remove my window cranks, I couldn't find where I had put "the tool". So I tried the rag method. It works so well that I've never bothered with "the tool" since. Seriously!

[EDIT] The tool that I have dates back to when my parents had their '55 Chev. Yeah, I've had it a long time. It looks exactly like the unit on the right.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-02-2018).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
excellent ! Im gonna try the shop towel trick first. We got heavy paper clips in work, so I'll rig one of those too. I already have the "tool" made to get to the screws. I love the way new dew wipes improve the look of the car big time.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2018 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most can use the simple black tool above. (Dorman 76951 and other PN's) This is make to operate w/ 1 hand. Push tool under the arm/knob until stops. Squeeze knob end toward the bend section of tool a bit to release the clip and crank and tool should easily come off as one piece and clip often still in the slot some so you won't loose it.

Use other hand under them to catch the clip if it falls.

Notes:
Most have a big plastic "washer" under the crank and many of them are worn so can't see easy.
(Dorman 76981 picture shows door side.)
Tool must go between the washer and crank to get at the clip.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
This in wrong way to install the chip... Like Many cranks have been removed at some point and clip installed backward.
OE, Dorman, etc, installs the clip w/ open side pointed to the knob end like this...
(Typical Dorman example.)
So don't force the tool when won't work and try flipping it 180°.

I have the tool etc but way too hot to take pictures how to use it. Can't even be in the garage for a few minutes to find the tool.

To install the crank...
Put the clip fully in the slot then washer and simple push all onto the shaft.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-03-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock