Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Good shop for A/C 134a conversion in North/Central WI?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Good shop for A/C 134a conversion in North/Central WI? by Time Traveller
Started on: 06-13-2018 09:57 PM
Replies: 11 (183 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-20-2018 04:19 PM
Time Traveller

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Time TravellerClick Here to visit Time Traveller's HomePageSend a Private Message to Time TravellerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been putting this off for years, but it's time to get my '86 GT A/C converted to 134a and working again. I will be up in July to collect the car and prepare it for moving to Florida. I'd prefer to drive the 1400 miles back down with cabin temperatures under 100°F. Anyone know a shop in northern WI that can be tasked and trusted with this undertaking? Car is based in Price county, but suitable to drive anywhere within reason (if it's under 85°F out). Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be easier to find a shop that is qualified to work on R12 systems. It is still legal to do so and the last I heard R12 is still available although none is being produced any more.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2018 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can order R12 "compatible" recharge kits for $60 although I don't know how well they work. They are designed for 1994 and older cars.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You can order R12 "compatible" recharge kits for $60 although I don't know how well they work. They are designed for 1994 and older cars.

Assuming all it needs is a recharge.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent a couple weeks looking for a shop around Seattle to fix my AC. I'd taken it a place someone recommended a couple years ago and they claimed to have "converted" it to 134a, but it was leaking at the compressor and the front end.

Every place I called declined the work.

I eventually ordered everything and did the work myself. Valves, O-rings, dryer, compressor, misc. pressure switches, and 134a. Plus a manifold and vacuum pump. All it in was about $600 and that included a *new*, not remanufactured, compressor. I took advantage of the 'free' tool rentals at O'Reilly's to use their AC system flush tool.

We did the work ourselves over two days. I had a lot of advice from a couple people who'd done them before. As with most Fiero work, the difficulty is access, not the work itself. If I was to do it again I could cut the time in half.

And apparently all that shop did was charge it with 134a and *maybe* change the high and low side valves. It was leaking from the compressor, which wasn't 134a compatible, and the high side valve. So that was lame. Now I know it is completely done, and done right.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a stock car nearly any decent AC place should be able to do it.
Problem cound be if any fittings sont come apart due to corrosion/age.
As far as I can tell having a few cars done: They'd flush the lines and condenser and evaporator, replace your accumulator and compressor with new, and put the 134 adapter fittings on, pull a vacuum , and ten charge it with the right amount of oil and R134. Check for leaks, not exactly in that order perhaps.
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2018 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

For a stock car nearly any decent AC place should be able to do it.

Able to, yes. They just don't want to around Seattle because they have plenty of other work to do that's easier (like selling $35 of 134a for $200 for a five minute recharge).

Time Traveller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Time TravellerClick Here to visit Time Traveller's HomePageSend a Private Message to Time TravellerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I considered doing the work myself, but I'm up against an unusual constraint: I will be in WI for two weeks, at the end of which time I'm planning on driving the car back to FL with me. There is a shop here in Gainesville, FL that had already quoted me on a conversion (they've done decent work on my old Mercedes), but that's at the wrong end of the trip.
I tried looking for an R12 qualified shop a few years back, but came up empty. The car's charge leaked out probably 10 years ago, it was just never a priority to get it fixed back then as rolling down the windows usually sufficed! That said, I'm still soliciting recommendations for places in WI. Meantime, I'll reach out to some non-Fiero car guys and see if I can find a competent shop that way.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:
Able to, yes. They just don't want to around Seattle because they have plenty of other work to do that's easier (like selling $35 of 134a for $200 for a five minute recharge).

I know what you mean.
I'm a fan of going out of the overpriced big city areas.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2018 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Time Traveller:

I'm up against an unusual constraint: I will be in WI for two weeks, at the end of which time I'm planning on driving the car back to FL with me....

You may not want to open that can of worms while in the middle of a 2 week stay. Do you have another car to drive in case they work on it a few days? Sometimes it takes a few days to get a compressor, and then if they found a leak hopefully you wouldn't need a hard line or something Fiero specific.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-15-2018).]

Time Traveller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2018 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Time TravellerClick Here to visit Time Traveller's HomePageSend a Private Message to Time TravellerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have another vehicle available, yes. I was hoping to take the Fiero in at the beginning of the stay and hopefully have it ready by the end. I just don't have the connections up there anymore since I moved, my trusted mechanic moved, and I've been out of the Fiero scene for 5 or so years.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2018 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing is as cold as a working R-12 system. Shops that do have it charge a lot for it. Not even factory 134 system is as cold, and conversions Ive seen are pretty iffy. In my Ferrari kit, with R12, I could put a can of pop in the center console with the center ducts blowing at it and it would stay cold for hours like a mini fridge.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock