Started on: 06-03-2018 10:49 PM
Replies: 56 (3669 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 08-06-2020 09:32 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

Yes! I saw it as well. I never knew there were fans on them. IS there any advantage to the new LED headlights?

Don't listen to the naysayers about LED's . They are spreading false information. I own loads of LED lights and have never experienced a failure. As for headlights all you need to do is watch that they are not too bright. I run LED headlights with the single LED element at the center and they work great. Even the police like them! All cars for the last few years have come with LED headlights. They represent the technology of today,
IP: Logged
Fiero Ron

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero RonSend a Private Message to Fiero RonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Dennis, I just want to throw in my $0.02 since I have spent some time researching this subject. For my car I have two of these Hella Vision Plus 5X7 assemblies that take H4 bulbs (haven’t installed them yet though, I am in a parts-hoarding phase of my build), and the bulbs I want to use with them are GTR Lighting Ultra 2 Bulbs. Yes they are pricey, but based on their design, they place the LED chips where the low/high beam filaments in a stock H4 halogen bulb would be. This allows the beam pattern for the low beam and high beam to be almost exactly as if it were an H4 halogen bulb (no light scattering, and a stock looking cutoff line), while having more light output and a more pure white color temperature. I have made my decision based on a comparison of different style bulbs in a halogen housing on YouTube from Headlight Revolution. I actually believe these guys were the same people as Black Top Racing which used to sell some Fiero parts. Also, years ago I have used improperly designed, cheap LED bulbs before that had low output and they scattered light everywhere. This gives using LED’s in a projector housing a bad reputation. But LED technology has come a long way, and with a properly designed bulb it should be an upgrade to halogen. I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Ron (edited 02-19-2020).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Don't listen to the naysayers about LED's . They are spreading false information. I own loads of LED lights and have never experienced a failure. As for headlights all you need to do is watch that they are not too bright. I run LED headlights with the single LED element at the center and they work great. Even the police like them! All cars for the last few years have come with LED headlights. They represent the technology of today,
More aftermarket = or even better then OEM again? Please Stop smoking the Hype Pipe.

Unless you have Truck-lite and related that actually Meets FMVSS and other rules to sell them legally...
All are crap from China and elsewhere w/ HL w/ bogus DOT labels and now seems to have fake DOT certs too.
or
Made by Sylvaina et al to sell whatever hind behind "off road use only" "Check local laws" knowing 99+% of parts are used illegally on the street.
Sylvaina GE and other well known brands "makes" Legal LED HL that meets US laws then also uses "off road" to sell other LEDs for cars.

Sadly Truck-lite and others w/ legal HL upgrades maybe better some OEM units as IIHS has many problems w/ OEM HL of all types including LED.
Because most OEMs like GM make all lights to be as cheap as possible and Not the best light available even for many high $ models.
https://www.iihs.org/api/da...atus-report/pdf/51/3
https://www.iihs.org/news/d...-drivers-in-the-dark
https://www.carsdirect.com/...t-iihs-safety-rating for 2020 Kia Telluride
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Many crap and illegal items get 5 stars "Reviews" because fools flooding w/o a clue or worse often paid by whatever like gift card offer in An Amazon Scam: The Mofut Key Lock Box YT by LockPickingLawyer

This is funny that claim "Real DOT SEA" but can't even spell check the image...
Says can lookup data in NHTSA etc but can't find the company let alone bulbs.

Ameca and ISOQA Technical Service are real but can't find the cert is real.
Ameca is US but actual Lab used is in China...

Looks like Lenses does not have Logo/Name of maker and that alone is Not Legal for a bulb claiming meets FMVSS 108.
I need a better picture that shows all markings on the lens. Lighting a clear lens showing marks is harder to do. Might be easier outside in sun w/o flash on for camera.

I'm betting the 1 and 2 stars are more accurate plus Q/A w/ saying scratch easy etc
Worse if true, scratch easy will very likely fail FMVSS test and that cert is Bogus. In 108 NHTSA have publish data for how to test for scratching etc.

NHTSA can and does order Recalls for aftermarket parts but even if does here, the "company" just play games and get all money selling crap and most buyers will still use them.

Cool story, completely unrelated to my question though.

Ordered them and will post back once I install them today/soon.

[This message has been edited by Vicophine (edited 02-20-2020).]

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vicophine

102 posts
Member since Mar 2019

Success!
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just installed mine on my 85 GT and love them. DOT is all important for legal reasons and for proper cutoff design. I bought mine from Amazon. Grinding out the metal headlight bucket shells was a major pita, at least for the brand I bought. This is why every Fiero mechanic needs a Dremel in his toolbox. See pics... Kit[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimage s/Kitskaboodle/50BB0880-4270-4DD8-92DF-041F65869777.jpeg[/img]
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2995 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Sorry, forgot to include a pic of the buckets after grinding and painting....
Kit
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its good to see the many successful upgrades to LED lighting here. Ignore the hysterical negativism about this type of lighting and go for it. People who preach that way are the ones stuck in the 1970's that still want to use a carburetor and points. The smart Fiero owner tries to use the latest technology.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vicophine:

Reading some reviews of these and they look great! Were they plug and play? What is required in installing these?

I see a review about how using them on an MR2 required a conversion harness.

They were plug and play from what I remember. I would have remembered if I had to modify something and I do not.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 02-22-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As to Amazon 5x7 LED Headlight...

I Finally Found the Cert is Real... Ameca just release a new list on 7-Feb-20 and didn't popup a few days ago in last search.
https://ameca.org/wp-conten...-February-7-2020.pdf

Page 13. Near Bottom.

So many errors and so make places where they copied/past the same crap ad they Scream is as bad as all the rest and not only to me. Really, just search "MS-5786" nhtsa to find same ad.
Some other China HL may final have actual DOT legal units too. Doubtful...

Assuming This Bulb is the actual bulb tested and have the DOT code on the lens. Can't see the DOT code/string in the pictures at Amazon. Only fake DOT SAE, Maybe old pictures there.Can't see the DOT string in Kitskaboodle pic too but doesn't seem to have fake DOT SAE.

Note that DOT SAE MS-5786 HL VOR 19 .... 19 as is 2019 essentially is first year make.
That whole string should be molded in to the Lens but only see same bogus DOT SAE in upper corner of the lens in some pics.

Even if their "real" legal bulbs... many reviews saying scratch easy etc makes me wonder how long will last. If not long... at least doesn't cost $200 to $300 per set like Truck-lite and others.
Might be cheaper even if last 3-5 years vs. SilverStar and others sell at $20 to $30 each that have problems and often won't last long resulting in several Lawsuits for false ads etc.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-19-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32255 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Its good to see the many successful upgrades to LED lighting here. Ignore the hysterical negativism about this type of lighting and go for it. People who preach that way are the ones stuck in the 1970's that still want to use a carburetor and points. The smart Fiero owner tries to use the latest technology.
More like get conned or actively pushing Fakes Counterfeits and Illegal parts sold thru BTR Amazon Ebay Wish Alliex etc.

If You actually Read my posts for HL for Years I basically say can upgrade the HL but do so the right way. Even my Cave has notes for legal HL upgrade > 5 years now.
Why?
Because Many got screwed by Munson and others selling their "upgrades" having many problems for 20+ years ago and hasn't gotten any better. Like a more recent Fad was BTR selling Plastic Covers w/ projector lamps is Illegal in most places in the US and Canada. Covers is just one problem for people bought Munson et al "upgrades" because that alone can Fail Inspection and Cops can stop you for any aftermarket covers over HL. So some remove the cover only to find w/o the covers for these setups snow leaves and more get into the hood then "rust" eats wiring etc, block light output, or very likely both. Fiero OE HL trim isn't just there to be pretty.

I Have been installing and using LEDs for Many Years and seen Way Too Many Crap units for Cars, Home and just about every other job.

Most LED HL "upgrades" like HID and many other "upgrades" way before them are still Crap and Illegal but real facts apparently don't matter to you and some others.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2020 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today got pushed on more people so did more searching and Seem there's More issues w/ this "new" Amazon HL covered just above...
Maybe a "counterfeit" via Mislabel this w/ another real bulb Morsun makes. China makers and many vendors worldwide counterfeit everything and won't blink at counterfeiting China HL product.
If Morsun have cert for X bulb, even for exact bulb above, and product isn't labeled right... like could be old stock made before testing and mod the lens molds to meet rules... If true, the they aren't legal in US and others.

Amazon Seller "Afeax" mostly sells Cell Phone Parts... Only 2 HL Bulbs. No other car parts. (Currently only Amazon Warehouse has "used" parts to sell for above was likely return by buyers.)
Only other HL "he" sells look like same HL listed as fake in above listing but claims HL is "1.Dot approved,legal and safe on the road." yet w/ same bogus DOT mark❓

many clam the product use Osram Cree and other parts in them are often frauds on many levels. All Brands have Huge counterfeit problems like fake ACDelco and Walbro car parts sold thru Amazon Ebay and more. Morsun Does Not say has Osram LEDs.

Note too "Power: 110W"❓ If true would eat More power then OE and many others and can kill HL Wiring.
You hope they mean 110W Equivalent like most for home use say 60W Equiv but real use is ~ 9W. Even then maybe lying in the spec there and everywhere sold thru. Morsun has more accurate specs.

The "maker" is at Alibaba and morsunled.com but they have Many HL bulbs and no pic there seem to have DOT SAE MS-5786 HL VOR 19 mark. (Has too many listing to search fully.)

Just a fake DOT SAE not DOT SAE MS-5786 HL VOR 19 (MS-5786 is PN/MN @ morsunled.com)

But Some Morsun HL makes/sells are "Real" DOT labeled like https://www.alibaba.com/pro...eep_62479022948.html
Have TOP and complete DOT string = DOT SAE HL 15 LED VOL at the bottom but Don't see name/logo as DOT requires.

MS-5786 @ morsunled says has a halo/DRL... Unless something changed Halos on bulbs to replace H6054 aren't legal but doesn't seem the bulb has them. Pictures, spec, and video doesn't agree w/ each other... Pic and Plug say no. Desc/Spec White halo/DRL. Video say Yellow Turn light. Think Vid is different model w/ D at end.

We need better current pictures of the lens at minimum. One Kitskaboodle's pic seem has something but angle = can't read.

All AMECA PDFs have been removed. Only Google has cache them for now.
Morsun and other Chinese companies have some DOT HL but now harder to find real info.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-20-2020).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2020 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I just installed mine on my 85 GT and love them. DOT is all important for legal reasons and for proper cutoff design. I bought mine from Amazon. Grinding out the metal headlight bucket shells was a major pita, at least for the brand I bought. This is why every Fiero mechanic needs a Dremel in his toolbox. See pics... Kit[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimage s/Kitskaboodle/50BB0880-4270-4DD8-92DF-041F65869777.jpeg[/img]

same headlights I used in my 88 daily driver. love them.

Rob
JohnyWalter

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyWalterSend a Private Message to JohnyWalterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good!
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2020 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out JW speaker for USA made/designed and DOT NHSTA approved LED headlamps. OEM quality, used by the military and Harley Davidson.
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Just going to add my experience here. This is what I purchased recently 5x7 LED Headlight and they work great. I am happy with my purchase. I can also say that the difference between the stockers and these is huge, much better visibility.

That looks like a better one! We'll just finish installing the brake kit, all terrain truck tires, and headache rack on the current truck project before we can clear the garage for the Fiero project. Will consider that for the headlight option.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2020 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Ron:

I agree with Dennis, I just want to throw in my $0.02 since I have spent some time researching this subject. For my car I have two of these Hella Vision Plus 5X7 assemblies that take H4 bulbs (haven’t installed them yet though, I am in a parts-hoarding phase of my build), and the bulbs I want to use with them are GTR Lighting Ultra 2 Bulbs. Yes they are pricey, but based on their design, they place the LED chips where the low/high beam filaments in a stock H4 halogen bulb would be. This allows the beam pattern for the low beam and high beam to be almost exactly as if it were an H4 halogen bulb (no light scattering, and a stock looking cutoff line), while having more light output and a more pure white color temperature. I have made my decision based on a comparison of different style bulbs in a halogen housing on YouTube from Headlight Revolution. I actually believe these guys were the same people as Black Top Racing which used to sell some Fiero parts. Also, years ago I have used improperly designed, cheap LED bulbs before that had low output and they scattered light everywhere. This gives using LED’s in a projector housing a bad reputation. But LED technology has come a long way, and with a properly designed bulb it should be an upgrade to halogen. I hope this helps.

Holy mother of god, those bulbs cost more than my car is worth!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock