Started on: 06-01-2018 11:37 AM
Replies: 5 (247 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-08-2018 10:55 AM
timwdegner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, I've been a PFF member since 2004 but haven't posted for years. It's tempting to create a new account since my old posts are embarrassing reminders of my snotty teenage years haha, but I'm pretty sure that's against forum rules so here I am, still timwdegner.

Thought I'd check back here today while thinking about what to do with my '86 2M4. I bought it with 80k on the odometer in 2003; painted in 2004, blew a head gasket in 2005, and a local PFF member swapped a new 2.8 in for me in 2006. Unfortunately it broke down again shortly thereafter and I lacked the patience and the resources to have it fixed. Never even diagnosed the problem, could have been a simple fix.

But now it's been sitting in my Minnesota shed for more than ten years. My resources are modest and my mechanical aptitude doesn't extend much beyond brakes and oil changes, but I'd like to explore the possibility of restoring it to working condition and wonder if anyone here has suggestions for where to start. And if anyone in Minnesota has interest in taking a look at it, let me know! I'm out in the boonies about 90 miles west of the Twin Cities.

Good to see this forum still up and running, and looking exactly as I remember it. I miss the Twin Cities Mall of America meets, looks like those don't happen any more. Maybe one day again?

[This message has been edited by timwdegner (edited 06-01-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most breakdowns are either caused by a lack of fuel or a lack of spark. They are both easy to check. The 2.8L V6 is famous for ignition module failure. The fuel pumps also go from time to time.
Heres how to check. Since the car has been sitting, change the oil and fog the cylinders. Drain the tank and add fresh gas.
Install a battery that has decent capacity.
Fuel check . Turn the ignition to on and don't start it. Do this three times. You should hear the fuel pump energizing. If you don't its either the pump or the relay is bad. . If you do hear the fuel pump turning on. You should now have pressure at the fuel rail. Borrow a gauge attach it to the schrader valve fitting and measure..If If not the relay and/or fuel pump is bad.
Primitive Spark Check Remove the spark plug wire from the #1 cylinder Using a pair of gloves hold that wire close to the block or manifold and have an assistant crank the engine over. Do you see/hear a spark?
AFAIK the most common failure in the Fiero V6 is the ignition module. They are very easy to replace, two screws, a bit of thermal grease to instal and a connector to remove. If the module is bad replace with an AC Delco unit as other brands may not last.
If you are close to an Autozone they will lend you a spark checker and a fuel pressure gauge to make the diagnostic job easy.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Dennis, thanks for taking the time to type those steps up for me. Sorry I mistyped; I have a 2.5L four-cylinder. I believe it was pulled froman '88 Oldsmobile, probably a slightly updated version of the Iron Duke. Do your suggestions apply to this motor as well?
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2018 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing different from Dennis' suggestions would be the 4 cylinder does not have a Schrader valve. To check fuel pressure you have to splice into the line.

Does your engine have a distributor or does it have the coil on plug design?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember the username from years ago. Good to see you back Tim. I didn't read all of Dennis' posts but he's usually spot on.
"Broke down" can mean many things....
It would be helpful, if you could describe the last 'breakdown' it had.
Driving along and just stopped running?
Starter doesn't work when you turn the key?
Engine cranks over but wouldn't start?
Started but wouldn't stay running?
Transmission or clutch problems?

Before you begin troubleshooting, some dos and don'ts.
It's been sitting for a lot of years..hopefully with antifreeze in it or the coolant system completely drained. There's a good chance rodents have found it a nice comfy place to spend the cold winters and they like to chew on wire insulation and build nests in bad places...like under the hood cowling where the blower motor resistor bank is.
Before you even think about connecting a hot battery on it, inspect all the wiring as best you can, inside the car, under the dash, (a mirror comes in handy) in the front compartment and of course in the engine compartment.

#1. Get the old fuel out of the tank. It's gone stale long ago. It's a pita to siphon gas from a Fiero, but it can be done. Walmart sells a cheap siphon pump for less than $10. I wouldn't try to use the in-tank electric pump to empty the tank..the varnished up gas would probably clog the intake screen pretty quick anyway. The other option is dropping the tank...not fun under any circumstances.

Does your engine have a distributor or does it have the coil on plug design?

Since a swap was done, using the 88 Olds 2.5, that's not strictly a straight in swap for an 86 Fiero is it? All my Dukes were 84s with exception of an 88 I had a very short time, but there were significant differences in the 88 2.5 as opposed to earlier years if I remember correctly. Probably a DIS engine and a different throttle body.

Good luck with it.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-06-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi. Yeah they built stuff where we used to meet at the mall
Minnesota Fieros Forever still has monthly club meetings, and shows and cruises, we had Fiero only shows but decided to invite a bigger crowd. Now we do www.backtothe80smn.com the show is actually next weekend June 16th, come check it out and meet some MN Fiero fans. We will be running the event. Whoever put your engine in might even be there. I only got into Fieros in 2007 but I'm sure youll find folks you know.

10 years of sitting in MN, you likely need brake work, gas work, look for rodent damage, etc. For starters.

https://www.facebook.com/BackToThe80sMN/
https://www.facebook.com/Mi...ierosForeverCarClub/
http://mnfieros.org/

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-08-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay