Tell me about tbese please. by MikieG
Started on: 05-23-2018 11:24 AM
Replies: 15 (530 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-26-2018 08:16 PM
MikieG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikieGSend a Private Message to MikieGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know anything about these cars? Like who chopped the tops, or where the body panels came from?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJq4A2ph8qY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VhgDgIHSFyk
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dragonfish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonfishSend a Private Message to DragonfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are beautiful cars, the chop just makes a fiero look amazing... They are nice stock but the chops.. just damn sexy.

As stated V8 Archie made the kits to chop them but he is now semi retired. You can still contact him about products but I think he is no longer making the chop top stuff. There are a few cars out there that people have chopped with out using Archies stuff so it can be done. Look around this site and you can find info on how to home chop one.

You can get one if you want one and look long enough or do the work. Here is something to look at if you like these cars.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/064559.html

And my favorite chop top

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

It looks a little different now, this was taken awhile ago and it still had the stock v-6 in it. (and before I owned it)
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MikieG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikieGSend a Private Message to MikieGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sex appeal is high on tbose! How much $$ does it take?
Also, i am 5'10". Seems like this is not good dor guys over 5'.
Anyone here ever sit in one?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm only 5'7" tall, and my head was brushing the roof in Dave Mancheno's Archie choptop. I had to lean back in the seat, to get some headroom. I don't know how 6-foot-plus guys manage.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got lucky and got mine from here with the chop finished. Cost depends on how much you can do. There is going to be alot of fiber glass work and some welding and cutting. Not a simple task.

I am 5 10 and I fit in mine pretty well. It does have a sun roof so that helps. You can do some work on the seat rails to drop the seats and get more room. Now getting in or out I tend to bump my head,but it is worth it!!
MikieG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikieGSend a Private Message to MikieGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A mod like this is better left to the man. Where do they get the new glass from?
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2018 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The windshield is stock fiero, just angled back, and the rear is plastic. The trick are the sides. Archie made 25 sets of glass windows for the chops, but if you can find a set they are expensive. Some chops use plastic sides and there is a guy in Fl that has used the stock glass with mods to the inner door.

I do not know of a shop still doing chops, but there may still be one around.
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2018 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first car is archie's private car, the second car is Car-lo's. If my terrible memory serves me correctly, he used archie's old rocker panels and chopped them up good to get that look. Other than that he did the rest on his own including the chop. His current build of that car is in the construction zone and linked below. I'm 5'9" and the sitting in a chop wasn't too bad, but required the seat to be leaned back slightly. Not a crazy gangsta lean or anything. Getting in and out of the car sucked though. The build for archie's car is on here too. I think it was in the "what's going on at archie's" or something. I got the widebody without the front fenders a few years back and I think it ran me $2500ish. Don't know anything about the cost fo the chops.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000129.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2018 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I don't know how 6-foot-plus guys manage.

They don't. A friend of mine in Washington State owned one of Archie's V8 powered chop tops (pictured below), and he offered to sell it to me for a very good price... but I turned him down. At 6'3" I simply don't fit.

This is a picture taken years ago of me sitting in John Carlo's chop top. And yes, my ass is on the seat.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-24-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2018 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:
I am 5 10 and I fit in mine pretty well. It does have a sun roof so that helps.

Sunroof helps? You kidding?

I've had a Fiero with sunroof in the past. I could actually touch the sunroof rubber edge that come across the middle of my head if I sit tall.

When I got a hardtop Fiero, I noticed I had more headroom because there is no sunroof edge in the middle of my head anymore and I couldn't touch the ceiling with my head at all.

So, let's get the fact straight here... a sunroof doesn't give you more headroom even if you had the glass out, because the edge will still be in the way. A hardtop would give you much more room because the headliner has a curve for your head, thus giving you more headroom than a sunroof would.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2018 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Vice

732 posts
Member since Jun 2015

Originally posted by Patrick:

Wow! That picture is priceless!!! Thanks for sharing, Patrick.

I'm 6' tall and I cherish my headroom. I would never get a choptop.

In my personal opinion, it looks out of proportion. Maybe an inch to 1.5 off of the front end top would make the Fiero look really nice, but not worth the cost.

Anymore than that, it looks like a flatten pancake that is hard to see out of cabin. No offense to anyone who is a choptop fan.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

Wow! That picture is priceless!!! Thanks for sharing, Patrick.

Heh heh... yeah, I remember having fun many years ago photoshopping that image.

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

...it looks like a flatten pancake that is hard to see out of cabin. No offense to anyone who is a choptop fan.

My friends with chop top Fieros referred to non-altered Fieros as "bubble-tops".
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-26-2018 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

My friends with chop top Fieros referred to non-altered Fieros as "bubble-tops".

Ha

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 05-26-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2018 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the archives... another local home-brew chop top. This one with a Caddy 4.9

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock