Started on: 05-11-2018 04:31 PM
Replies: 24 (662 views)
Last post by: KissMySSFiero on 05-16-2018 10:27 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after years and years of watching my local Pick N Pull for a LS4 car, today it finally happened. I logged on, and at the very top was a 2006 Impalla SS, just put on the lot yesterday. I had to go see if it was still in the car, it was. Took my a few hours to pull it out and another hour to squeeze it into my 03 Vibe. It was in a running car that was hit in the front, totaled and then it made the auction round until it ended up here. Long way to go, but the plan is to keep the AT and put it into my 88 GT. I had installed a NA3800 in the car and was working on rebuilding a S3 SC for it, but now ill be working on the LS4 swap. This is the only pic I have for now. More to come.

Rob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great find!
Check out fieroguru's water manifold to simplify the cooling system work.
Jonathan Tate

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan TateSend a Private Message to Jonathan TateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm a rear engined Vibe....
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear!

Everyone should have 2 LS swapped Fieros!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great engine, plenty of power, lightweight aluminum block, but IMO, a very difficult swap. The LS4 is an AFM engine and IIRC a cam change is necessary to run it with a reprogrammed PCM. That powertrain also has a TCS and a workaround is necessary. I do wish that I had an LS4 Fiero and I am looking to follow the OP's build .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find! Whad did you score that for and how the hell did you get that into the car holy sh!t

shem
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Nice find! Whad did you score that for and how the hell did you get that into the car holy sh!t

shem

$450 out the door w/ full harness, accessory's, trans as you see it. They did gig me for both a motor and trans "core" charge, or it would have been less. I ran the VIN and found it has 120K miles on it. but was running and totaled after a front corner hit. As for getting it in the Vibe, lets just say it took every bit of muscle I had, the prob being that the Vibe trunk opens up so I could only get the motor about 18" away from the trunk. I put it on a wheel barrel using the Impalla hood as a flat surface. Dropped it on the hood, and then inched it in, little to the left, little to the right. Wiggled it back and forth until it was in. Like I said, it took every bit of an hour to inch it in. Getting it out took 10 min. Hooked up my engine hoist, lifted it up, the Vibe when up with it and then pulled it out. I did brake the Vibe trunk floor, but I went back today and got a new trunk floor from a 2004 Matrix. Only charged me $10 bucks for it.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-12-2018).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Great engine, plenty of power, lightweight aluminum block, but IMO, a very difficult swap. The LS4 is an AFM engine and IIRC a cam change is necessary to run it with a reprogrammed PCM. That powertrain also has a TCS and a workaround is necessary. I do wish that I had an LS4 Fiero and I am looking to follow the OP's build .

Agree, but I'm up for the challenge. Ive done a 3.4 DOHC, a few 3800's and even taken my LS3 out to swap out the trans. I'm planning to build this on a 88 cradle I have, get it all mounted and wired up, start the exhaust and when done, swap out the 3800NA motor for this one. May not take a weekend, but should not take too long. I will be contacting FieroGuru often and plan on buying everything he has for this swap. I'm keeping the auto trans so I wont have to deal w/ the F40 swap, hoping that helps. My plan is to make this install as clean as my LS3 and try to make it look like the factory could have done it. Minus the 5.3 plastic engine cover.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Great to hear!

I agree... :-) I will be in touch soon. I have a few questions, but I am reading all your old post's first, taking notes, loading pics and creating a new "binder" of data.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Now its starting to look more like an engine under all that wiring. Still have a way to go stripping things but this is as far as I got yesterday.

Here is a pic I took today of the donor Impalla SS. Light front left damage, didn't hurt the engine/trans but I can't say the same for the suspension. It was a nice car, black leather was in great shape.

now its time to start reading, and collecting parts.

Rob
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are nuts I CANNOT believe you shoved that into that little tiny hatchback !!!

Here in the Great White North we use a different solution. It's called a "Trailer". Named after 3 famous Canadians who have greatly enriched our culture and civilization- the Trailer Park Boys.

Good luck with the swap!

Peter
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Now its starting to look more like an engine under all that wiring. Still have a way to go stripping things but this is as far as I got yesterday.

Here is a pic I took today of the donor Impalla SS. Light front left damage, didn't hurt the engine/trans but I can't say the same for the suspension. It was a nice car, black leather was in great shape.

now its time to start reading, and collecting parts.

Rob

If you did not hear this engine run, you might want to do a cylinder leakdown test to test the integrity of the cylinders. While not an overall check its usually worked for me.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob u da man man! I cant believe u got that big motor in the back of the car thats so awesome! lol A damn good deal too! Nice score

shem
86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2018 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is completely OT but I have to ask.......was that car just sitting like that on those rims while you pulled the motor out? I have never been to one of those 'self serve' junk yards, but I have seen pictures posted online and cars just sitting on round edges of bare rims seems to be the norm. I realize that these yards don't want to get much money tied up in setting up their vehicles just for people to strip them down but that seems pretty sketchy to me. I'm guessing that you (the customer) would be required to sign some kind of waiver before they will even let you through the gate(?). Maybe I'm just getting older and turning into a wuss ( ), but there is no way I would feel comfortable even pulling a tail light out of a car sitting 2 feet off the ground on round objects that seem like they could roll with a slight change in wind direction. Maybe they are more stable than I am thinking them to be?

BTW, nice find and good luck on your project!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT:

I know this is completely OT but I have to ask.......was that car just sitting like that on those rims while you pulled the motor out? I have never been to one of those 'self serve' junk yards, but I have seen pictures posted online and cars just sitting on round edges of bare rims seems to be the norm. I realize that these yards don't want to get much money tied up in setting up their vehicles just for people to strip them down but that seems pretty sketchy to me. I'm guessing that you (the customer) would be required to sign some kind of waiver before they will even let you through the gate(?). Maybe I'm just getting older and turning into a wuss ( ), but there is no way I would feel comfortable even pulling a tail light out of a car sitting 2 feet off the ground on round objects that seem like they could roll with a slight change in wind direction. Maybe they are more stable than I am thinking them to be?

BTW, nice find and good luck on your project!

you pay $2 to get in the door and "sign in" on a sheet that I have not read, i'm sure by signing i'm agreeing to and releasing them of any "damage" i may take. I've cut myself pretty bad before and they have offered to assist me, but i always say no. as for the stands, yes, they are just welded like that, and get this, they used to put 4 of them under each car, one at each corner, now they only do 3, two in the front, one in the center of the back. I guess i've never really looked at it from a safety point of view. I've been under them pulling and wrenching and never really felt it was unsafe.

Rob

madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be watching this build , want to see the mech. water pump done.
86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

.....as for the stands, yes, they are just welded like that......

I did wonder if they were at least welded somehow. Thanks for the clarification. That does make it seem at least a little bit safer than I originally thought!

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madbrad01:

I'll be watching this build , want to see the mech. water pump done.

So, i've always decided that the best way to go is to use Archies system for cooling, and as of now, I plan to copy it. I have it in my LS3 car and I like the way it works. I've already ordered the bolt on adapters for the block w/ AN12 fittings on the end. I plan on contacting Archie to purchase one of his Thermostat Housings. I know it does not work for everyone, but I know it works and I have an idea to clean it up. I'm more concerned w/ the Alt/AC location. Fieroguru has a great looking bracket for both, but he is incorperating the water pump into it and I wont need that. Maybe he can build me one w/ out the water pump and put a pully in its place so I can still route the belt the way he has done it. I'll have to ask.

Rob
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool and a great price for a motor that most are still asking $800 for. I will be following the build becasue I at some point want to go LSx as well.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Very cool and a great price for a motor that most are still asking $800 for. I will be following the build becasue I at some point want to go LSx as well.

yea, i agree. Motor, trans all the accessory's and the complete front end harness up to the large bundle that goes into the firewall. Even still has the headlight wiring and bulbs. ECM/Trans Computer attached but I did not get the BCM, not sure if i need it. Not going to be a quick build, I have a 2013 Genesis Coupe to finish and sell first. Then need to finish up my Green LS3 car. My daily driver 88 GT still runs great, so my plan it to build this on a spare 88 cradle, wire it, plumb it and get it ready to "drop in". Plus, I have to get all the LS6/LS2 parts for this one too, not going to be done soon.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-14-2018).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't all builds take a long time or is that just mine? lol
PFF
System Bot
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You doing this at home or at the unit?

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this one is at home. no room in the other garage, need to finish the Genesis first.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2018 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Great to hear!

Dang! I'm two Fieros short now....

I'm jealous of your pick and pull. Only one I have nearby is a LKQ and they nickle and dime for everything. Motor is probably 500, but they count every accessory/connector so would probably be closer to $1500 when finished.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the club of LS4's sitting in the garage.

What LS6/LS2 parts are you planning? Are you keeping the stock exhaust crossover?

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock