1984 radiator fan motor by 87convert
Started on: 05-09-2018 12:25 AM
Replies: 4 (467 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-17-2018 01:28 AM
87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone found a source for the 1984 radiator fan motor? It is different than later models and I know I could just replace it with a newer type but this is for my Indy and I would like to keep it as stock as I can.

Rolland
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AC or not?
AC have 2 speed fan. Not has 1 speed fan.
2 speed "dead" can be resistor relay or switches for low speed. jump high speed switch to ground to check the motor.
If 2 speed replacement w/ 1 speed motor have to rewire the motor connection.
See my Cave, Rad Fan

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-09-2018).]

87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It turns out that the problem was that two of the magnets in the motor had come loose from the motor housing and were rubbing on the armature. The motor is built to be repaired, so I took it out of the shroud, removed the loose magnets and the armature. I cleaned the housing using some solvent and Scotch Brite and re-attached the magnets with super glue. After reassembly the motor works like a charm.

Now I have to find a spare.......

Rolland
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87convert:
It turns out that the problem was that two of the magnets in the motor had come loose from the motor housing and were rubbing on the armature. The motor is built to be repaired, so I took it out of the shroud, removed the loose magnets and the armature. I cleaned the housing using some solvent and Scotch Brite and re-attached the magnets with super glue. After reassembly the motor works like a charm.

Now I have to find a spare.......
Maybe soon too.
Many "super glues" hate heat cycling and often fail. Can't handle parts expand/shrink at different rates. Many try fixing mirror buttons on windshields have same problem.
Some have "rubber" etc in them so the glue have some flex but doesn't always help.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock