Road trip spares for the 88 4 cylinder? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 05-08-2018 06:55 PM
Replies: 16 (316 views)
Last post by: FIERO JOHN-WI on 05-18-2018 12:54 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen this topic several times for the v6 but I don't recall seeing for the 4 cylinder. My search only found a couple of suggestions and it looks like I will be taking a longish road trip soon to bring home an Iron Duke notchie. It's a low mileage (83k miles) 1988 but I would like a basic list of spares to pick up or bring along before I start back.

Some obvious things... Quart of oil, gallon of coolant, fan belt, duct tape, jumper cables, basic tool kit (sockets, wrenches, ratchet, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.)
Is the ICM prone to heat failure? I had that issue with my first GT.

What else?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The L4 ICM is less prone to failure, but an '88 should be DIS, I believe.

Fan belt? The Fiero has a fan belt?

I take it you will be driving both ways, so will have a chase car.

Fuses. Jack. Lug wrench. In case you have to deal with the brake calipers. Gas can. Shop towels.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Fan belt? The Fiero has a fan belt?

I knew someone would call me on that.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do I win the dunce cap?
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember to have a full set of torx bits that aren't in the standard kits.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do I win the dunce cap?

Not while you have 3000 more posts than me.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing I've learned here, is that quantity of posts means someone posted a lot--not that their posts were worthwhile. The quantity of my posts does indicate anything about my knowledge or experience.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One thing I've learned here, is that quantity of posts means someone posted a lot--not that their posts were worthwhile.

I agree with you 100 freakin %. I was just trying to have a little fun.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2018 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
voltmeter, small air compressor or jump box w everything, tire slime, tarp to lay down on, zip ties, hose clamps big flare gun

shem

shem
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

voltmeter, small air compressor or jump box w everything, tire slime, tarp to lay down on, zip ties, hose clamps big flare gun

shem

shem

Good list. Just add belts, coolant hoses, fire extinguishers, flashlight, and a complete tool box with sockets and wrenches both metric and SAE. If you don't have two sets of keys, have an extra set made before you start your journey. Also make sure that the jack , lug wrench is there, spare is inflated but a 30 year old compact tire may or may not work. I once picked up a car in Augusta GA and drove to NJ. I would not have made it without the supplies.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy new plugs and plugs wires and install before you drive.
You can damage/kill the DIS brick when either/both are crap.
See my Cave, DIS Ignition

Install a belt. Have old and Non AC belt as spare too.
If tensioner etc is dying then belts won't last long.
Do Not Force a belt! Forcing then you wreck the arm. "catalog number" belts can be wrong because pulley(s) size error etc. Non AC belts are mostly fine but common issue w/ AC belts. get next bigger/smaller belt so pointer is in middle 1/3 when you release the wrench.
Wrench: 3/8drive 15mm short socket (as short as possible) w/ ratchet and small pipe as extension. Ratchet can fit in limited space when many belt tools won't because limited adjustment of tool.
See my Cave, Serpent Belt

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2018 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All this is good, but to be safe, join AAA. If you break down they are just a call away. I always update my subscription to AAA and make sure im paid up before a long trip. Also, check to see what your insurance covers. Some will cover towing if you break down.

GL

Rob
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2018 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the 10 amp fuel pump fuse open on a road trip through the mountains in my 88 duke. The oil pressure sensor under the intake manifold shorted internally. Replaced it with a 20 amp and caught the engine on fire. Bring a wiring diagram repair manual, an electrical meter, and spare fuses

[This message has been edited by Reallybig (edited 05-14-2018).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, just to write an end to the story, here we go...

I flew into Seattle from Sacramento early Saturday morning. Had it prearranged to have the seller pick me up at the airport. I've bought and driven both my GT's long distance this way. (the first from LA and the second from Medford OR.) This one would be the longest trip but it's a low mileage car that had been well maintained and I had confidence. We drove over to the cell phone lot where I looked it over and took a test drive. Very pretty car with 83K miles. I was very impressed with the car. The seller was a stand-up guy and had already sent me loads of pictures and details on the condition. It had not been driven much in the last few years but it had been recently serviced. Lots of new parts and brand new upholstery. The car ran great and everything seemed to work.

We made the deal and I made a few stops before leaving for home. Along with a few spares and tools I brought along I got some brand new tires, a fresh oil change, a gallon of coolant, a quart of oil and a basic tool set at Harbor Freight. I was dumbfounded to find that the sales tax is 10.1% in Washington state. Something about no property tax or state income tax or something like that.

(Funny story about the tires... I made an appointment at a Discount Tire store about a week before for some middle of the road tires. I made a point to tell the sales guy that I would be flying in to pick up a car and that I wanted to be perfectly sure there would be no hang-ups. I told him I had gotten hung up at another shop when the tires I wanted for the mini-van were no longer in stock on the day they were to be installed. He assured me the tires I specified were in stock and would be there when I arrived. Three days before leaving I called him again to confirm. No problem he says. He confirms they are still in stock and being held for me. Then one day before departure I called again. I know, I sound like a PIA, but I didn't want any problems before starting a long road trip. Again, everything is fine. "See you when you get here" he says. So I arrive right on time for my appointment, my guy doesn't seem to be there but they get to work. They were very understanding about my insistence on the correct jacking points and I wandered off to watch from the parking lot. Just as it looks like they are wrapping up a customer service guy finds me in the lot. He says he's sorry but they didn't have my tires in stock, so they upgraded me to a set of Michelin Defenders at twice the price for no additional charge. Woohoo! I guess they just didn't want to have to try to explain after all the confirmations. )

Anyway, just before hitting the freeway I stopped in at Costco for a quick bite and a full tank. I grabbed my pizza slice and then couldn't find a good old soda to drink. Everything was sugar free in the soda fountains. I walked up and down the machines several times but I just couldn't find a regular Pepsi and settled for diet. The folks I ended up sitting with explained it had something to do with some new law about sugary drinks! Jeez, gimme a break!

So I topped up and set off. Traffic was a bit heavier that I expected on a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't long before ran into a slow down. Just as I was coming to a stop the car shuddered and died! I'm thinking OMG! The car started right up again but then stalled when going into drive (it's an automatic). After shifting around a bit I was finally able to get moving again. I got off the freeway and began kicking myself for planning a trip this way after just seeing the car for the first time. Well, I couldn't sit there in Seattle all day so I decided to try it again. It occurred to me that it might not be a bad tranny but maybe something else, like a bad solenoid that wasn't downshifting maybe. Anyway, right away I discovered that if I manually shifted into 2nd gear during a slowdown and then back to Drive as traffic picked up I was OK. I repeated that several times as needed and then the problem just went away. I'm thinking some dirty old fluid was the problem. I've already obtained a new tranny filter and gasket. I'll be changing out the fluid this weekend.

The rest of the trip was completely uneventful. Thankfully! I traveled almost 800 miles in less than 16 hours I think, with a few cat-naps along the way. The car handled beautifully and reliably. After a while I tired of babying her let her stretch her legs. I probably averaged 75 MPH for most of the trip. I was very happy to find that I had gotten 31 MPG! I'm really loving this car!

Here's a few pics...

Yes, a CJB.

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car what is your c&c# ??
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIERO JOHN-WI:

Nice car what is your c&c# ??

I don't know. I did see a C & C label inside the door but didn't notice a number. I'll check later. Is it significant?

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2018 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will pm you, rigjt now..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock