Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  ############# NEW MILESTONE FOR FIERO GT TAILLIGHT LENSES ############### (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
############# NEW MILESTONE FOR FIERO GT TAILLIGHT LENSES ############### by kgoodyear
Started on: 04-11-2018 01:17 PM
Replies: 50 (2327 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 05-11-2018 10:00 AM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

I am somewhat aware of Slammed and our methods are completely different. My lens uses injection molding and is of a better quality even from the OEM parts. The decorating of the lens is a challenge if the quality of the decoration is going to match the quality of the lens. BUT, we have had challenges along the way and overcame them too.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

Great news! Keep up the good fight. There are many here counting on you.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 05-04-2018).]

IP: Logged
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2018 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

You are fooling yourself if you think paint on plastic will not delam. Fact is, it has a better chance to delam and when it does it will be uglier than if a factory lens delaminated.

I've had Slammed's painted lenses installed for two years now, and they look just as good as they did when I first got them. So far so good...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 05-04-2018).]

freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2018 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put me down for a pair. what do you mean by OFF ROAD. I just drive man
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right now I am not "taking orders". Taking names usually is not a dependable way to reserve a set of lenses though we may do just that when the product nears delivery. I don't take down payments.

The best way to follow the progress of the lenses is to monitor PFF for updates. As the Frugal Fiero tail light lens project moves along you will become aware of when and how they will be available plus you will be able to learn much about how I am doing it and how quality assurance and budgeting is so important to us.

I look forward to your comments and input on future threads.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 05-10-2018).]

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by freedom0226:

put me down for a pair. what do you mean by OFF ROAD. I just drive man

"For Off Road Use Only" is a legal disclaimer that the seller takes no responsibility for DOT compliance, legality, or local laws. The lights are not "officially" approved for road use on a motor vehicle, whatever that means. Auto manufacturers have to have their lighting approved by the DOT for various standards - doing so for such a small project would be a huge hassle and a legal nightmare.
It's highly unlikely that you'll ever get hassled for an aftermarket tail light even if you have vehicle inspections, but if you do it's your problem. No cop is going to inspect your taillights for DOT markings.

You will see many aftermarket parts with the same statement.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gary W:

"For Off Road Use Only" is a legal disclaimer that the seller takes no responsibility for DOT compliance, legality, or local laws. The lights are not "officially" approved for road use on a motor vehicle, whatever that means. Auto manufacturers have to have their lighting approved by the DOT for various standards - doing so for such a small project would be a huge hassle and a legal nightmare.
It's highly unlikely that you'll ever get hassled for an aftermarket tail light even if you have vehicle inspections, but if you do it's your problem. No cop is going to inspect your taillights for DOT markings.

You will see many aftermarket parts with the same statement.

Thank you Gary W. for this reply.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I to am very excited that you are making so much headway with a manufacture willing to help with this project. I am not very knowledgeable on molding processes but I do know of the large upfront costs needed to create proper tooling. Just recently had an adventure of trying to get T-top seals re-created and the initial response was $40k upfront to even start.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

Right now I am not "taking orders". .. I don't take down payments.

The best way to follow the progress of the lenses is to monitor PFF for updates. As the Frugal Fiero tail light lens project moves along you will become aware of when and how they will be available plus you will be able to learn much about how I am doing it and how quality assurance and budgeting is so important to us.

I look forward to your comments and input on future threads.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

I to am very excited that you are making so much headway with a manufacture willing to help with this project. I am not very knowledgeable on molding processes but I do know of the large upfront costs needed to create proper tooling. Just recently had an adventure of trying to get T-top seals re-created and the initial response was $40k upfront to even start.

I have learned several things so far and there is a lot yet for us to learn. You have to do your homework and you have to have capital to throw at it. Don't even pretend to know what you are doing for the whole project. For instance, I handle the finances and pretend to be the expediter. Things still move at their own pace but when you have the check book it helps. Have other people do what they do best. Be willing to walk away from 10s of thousands of dollars before you even start the project. i'm well into my 10s of thousands and we don't even have the tools started! At any point, you have to be willing to deal with the disappointed fiero owners that are counting on you to make a quality product in a reasonable time line for a reasonable price. Frankly Slyboy, I am more afraid of the disappointed fiero owners, letting the naysayers win or failing than i am of losing the money. It has been an adventure and so far it is serving its purpose. Several Frugal Fiero Friends are out there that help keep my spirits up, answer any of my sidebar questions and i think want to whoop the naysayers as much as they want the lens project to succeed.

So, Sly, keep an eye on the forum for upadates and I will look forward to hearing any comments, concerns, compliments or questions from you on future threads.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy to see things are progressing nicely. In my book it is always better to defer things I do not know to others, rather than trying to make everyone think that I know what I am doing, and just screw it up
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2018 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WE ARE TRYING TO CONDENSE THREADS CONCERNING THE FIERO LENSES DOWN TO ONE THREAD.

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR YOUR REPLY

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098250.html

THANKS!
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page