Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Why do so many people use photobucket instead of PIP?????????????????????

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why do so many people use photobucket instead of PIP????????????????????? by pokeyfiero
Started on: 04-08-2018 11:10 PM
Replies: 32 (660 views)
Last post by: pokeyfiero on 04-12-2018 08:54 PM
pokeyfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many threads that were awesome are pretty much garbage now because of all the picture services people use.

PIP works great. Pics remain year after year.
What is the major malfunction here??

I use the archives here constantly and I am really getting annoyed. JUst use the PIP.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photobucket ruined a lot of threads when they tried to charge 400.00 a year for 3rd party hosting. Even though they have dropped their price considerably I think most of us would rather see them go bankrupt at this stage rather than give them any money. I have mostly used PIP and I am glad I did. It takes a bit of learning (luckily my wife is good at computerize) but once you are setup it is very easy to use.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^What he said. Photobucket changed their business model literally overnight and broke billions of images across the internet, holding them for ransom at an insane annual rate to reinstate them. Imageshack did the same thing several years, prior.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I see someone mention this I wonder if they are aware of the add-on's for the different web browsers. I see every photo from Photobucket perfectly on here. I believe there is also a hotlink fix for Android devices. So basically for me, nothing has changed. I still see everything just fine.

This is a screenshot of what I see from Car-lo's build in the Construction zone:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-08-2018).]

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^Thank you, I didn't think to look for an extension. I just installed this one for Chrome and it seems to work.

[This message has been edited by jonrev (edited 04-09-2018).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonrev:

^Thank you, I didn't think to look for an extension. I just installed this one for Chrome and it seems to work.

No problem. They have add-ons for Chrome, Opera, Firefox and I believe Android Firefox.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

So many threads that were awesome are pretty much garbage now because of all the picture services people use.

PIP works great. Pics remain year after year.
What is the major malfunction here??

I use the archives here constantly and I am really getting annoyed. JUst use the PIP.

The main reason I no longer use PIP is because I do all my computer work on Mac computers, and PIP will not work on a Mac........ Cliff?????

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also cannot use PIP because I only have Chromebooks.

------------------
SCREW PHOTOBUCKET. All my pictures are now available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/156871275@N07/albums
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Firefox extension. Doesn't help with this thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121690.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a member of several web forums. Using a special image host just for one forum would be an inconvenience.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP wont let you post from mobile. Which is at least 75% of most online image posting, if not closer to 90% IMO.
Convenience gone. I post a lot less photos than I would like to now.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonrev:
^What he said. Photobucket changed their business model literally overnight and broke billions of images across the internet, holding them for ransom at an insane annual rate to reinstate them. Imageshack did the same thing several years, prior.
Not all PB etc problems are new Pay to Play but that "error" may hind moved/deleted "error" that many archive threads had way before the current issue. Many people moved or remove the old pictures for various reasons. Some links are expired after X Days to Months and can't fix pictures in archive threads even if they are still around.

IS PB want to make more money... I have little doubt others will follow or close.
If PB is sold or goes bust then not nearly the first... Others have been simply closed like Picasa in 2016 (Tech Crunch) or sold then closed. Others have gone bankrupt and close too. And they often happened in days to weeks w/ little or no effort to notify users. PFF losing some pictures are a drop in the bucket compared to Hundreds of Thousands and more that lost entire albums because to dumb to have a local backup. Most Everyone still trust a "cloud" and keep everything there even after gotten burned 1 to several times.

This is part of why PIP was made.
Cliff have been having "new PFF" in development for years now supposed to help posting pictures from mobile etc...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32180 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
When I see someone mention this I wonder if they are aware of the add-on's for the different web browsers. I see every photo from Photobucket perfectly on here. I believe there is also a hotlink fix for Android devices. So basically for me, nothing has changed. I still see everything just fine.
Nice but problems w/ that plan like...
1. Adding Plugins can be, often are, banned by Net Admins and others to stop security problems in business schools etc.
2. PB likely can block any plugins and any other work a rounds any time they want. Right now little point to spend effort/money to block this... Example: photobucket embed fix for FF has 8,181 dl vs Millions of FF users still see PB dead pics.

Many use plugins to remove ads @ YT and others but they see this and now push ads in other ways.
Wired and other others have a Pay Wall if you want ad free access to them.
Why? Example: They can simply run JavaScript and expect a result. Results don't match then activate whatever methods to stop you, push alternative ads, etc. If they really want to get tough, if you force access then can call FBI or whatever under anti hacking laws around the world.

So if works right now then save a local copy of every page you can.

Add Most users just copy/past whatever text from PB et al to All Forums and never bothers to Remove HTML wrapper over IMG section of the text.
This is a "Violation" of PFF rules. Forget just where this rule is and not looking right now.
Even ignore this, Image links have cause many problems to many people including major malware problems. If you click then you run every type of JavaScript and tracking at minimum that FB PB etc runs.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-09-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Cliff have been having "new PFF" in development for years now supposed to help posting pictures from mobile etc...

I hope so I haven't seen him reference that in any talk about the changes.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I have the Firefox extension. Doesn't help with this thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121690.html

Those pics are hosted in ImageShack. Doesn't work for me, either.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read the comments. I have now shot myself in the head.

If I were not dead I would upload pics from threads I came across into PIP.

As I come across threads with info I need I'll just save it to my own files. I mean if I hadn't shot myself in the head out of frustration of course.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Those pics are hosted in ImageShack. Doesn't work for me, either.

Well, exactly. A Photobucket Hotlink Fix is not going to re-link to images hosted at ImageShack... especially when these images don't even exist at ImageShack any longer.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Well, exactly. A Photobucket Hotlink Fix is not going to re-link to images hosted at ImageShack... especially when these images don't even exist at ImageShack any longer.

Yeah. I kind of got that.

But since ImageShack doesn't exist any longer (taking your word for that, since I never used it) perhaps that's why there's no "hotlink fix" available. Yeah. I looked.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm a member of several web forums. Using a special image host just for one forum would be an inconvenience.

X2.

The fact that pip/forum server didn't allow hotlinking to any other forum was a deal breaker, and still is a deal breaker for me.

I have switched to hosting all my own pics...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2018 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah. I kind of got that.

Yeah, I was kind of agreeing with you.

But since ImageShack doesn't exist any longer (taking your word for that, since I never used it) perhaps that's why there's no "hotlink fix" available.

ImageShack itself still exists... it's the images in the linked-to thread that no longer appear to exist any longer at ImageShack.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-09-2018).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just don't see the problem. You spend a ton of time writing a thread on how to this or that but taking a minute to use PIP is an issue?
When people are unable to use PIP other members would be happy to post them for you. I do it often.

Half of this forums archives are compromised.
PFF
System Bot
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a Linux user, and have been running only Linux for YEARS; and my significant other only uses MAC. There's not a single computer in our house with Windows installed, and I REFUSE to install Windows onto a computer to run PIP.

For years, Photobucket was my "go to" for hosting pics; but now with their shady practices, I no longer use them as well. I've have plug-ins for my browser so that I can still see broken links from Photobucket, but have not added any photos to them myself in quite some time. I guess I'm in between photo hosting sites at the moment, as I still haven't found a new hosting site that I like.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Deabionni:
I'm a Linux user, and have been running only Linux for YEARS; and my significant other only uses MAC. There's not a single computer in our house with Windows installed, and I REFUSE to install Windows onto a computer to run PIP.

For years, Photobucket was my "go to" for hosting pics; but now with their shady practices, I no longer use them as well. I've have plug-ins for my browser so that I can still see broken links from Photobucket, but have not added any photos to them myself in quite some time. I guess I'm in between photo hosting sites at the moment, as I still haven't found a new hosting site that I like.
I've seen PIP running in Wine so that statement means little.

How many times to you have to bent by Many sites started free is now Pay for Play or are Gone? Next "free" site you use likely will do the same and likely soon. Or like FB had tried take all your pictures and resell to anyone because you don't read TOS etc to sign up... So good luck w/ that idea.
Many Force you into Arbitration.
Many have a clause saying can change any terms at time they want w/ little or no notice to you.

imgur and others

With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content.
Means They sell any picture they want and you get Nothing.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

I just don't see the problem. You spend a ton of time writing a thread on how to this or that but taking a minute to use PIP is an issue?
When people are unable to use PIP other members would be happy to post them for you. I do it often.

Half of this forums archives are compromised.

If I were to spend a ton of time writing a thread on how to this or that I would use PIP.

I do use PIP now too I just post pics a lot less.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-10-2018).]

da.slyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For Mac and Linux users, I've had success using virtualization OS software (ex VMware) to utilize PIP. Also learned that emailing any images on an Iphone to yourself at medium resolution will usually always fit the PIP requirements without having to edit/resize the image. I think the biggest issue was the when it was extremely popular to use hosting images like PB, it wasn't know what the future consequence of whatever company raising prices/bankrupt/business direction would have on past forum posts. I think more people in the last several years are better at it now.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why don't I use PIP-- simply put PIP is garbage. I tried many times to get it to work, but it is fiddly, dated, unreliable, and infuriating to use. Photobucket is quickly fixed with a simply Chrome extension, and it WORKS. Half of the time I open a PIP image thread and I get nothing but red X boxes. PIP is terrible.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Half of the time I open a PIP image thread and I get nothing but red X boxes.

There's definitely something wrong at your end then.

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Why don't I use PIP-- simply put PIP is garbage. I tried many times to get it to work, but it is fiddly, dated, unreliable, and infuriating to use. PIP is terrible.

PIP works just fine for uploading/hosting images with any Windows computer that isn't screwed up. Some people just don't want to acknowledge possible user error.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-12-2018).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... PIP is so clunky and archaic, that we use it to upload pics to our club forum. (Using a different server profile, of course.)
Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
I've seen PIP running in Wine so that statement means little.

I'm more of a lurker these days and RARELY post like I used to, so I don't care enough to tip the bottle of wine to Linux to get it drunk enough to run that single solitary Windows program for me.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement of other hosting sites, which is why I haven't bothered looking for a "replacement" for Photobucket. PFF was really the only reason I needed a pic hosting site in the first place, and since I rarely post these days...........
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used PIP for the 15 yrs I been here and on so many different computers I just have no idea.

If you can't make it work on a WIN based computer or don't have the proficiency to use a paint or resize program to resize I probably am not interested in your build/fix/mod thread anyway.

What's done is done though I guess. I don't expect a whole lot of new awesome threads anyway as so fewer people are here but the archives break my heart.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2018 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

PIP wont let you post from mobile. Which is at least 75% of most online image posting, if not closer to 90% IMO.
Convenience gone. I post a lot less photos than I would like to now.

Exactly this. I don't use a PC more than once a month. It is not in the same location as my fiero. It's sometimes a challenge enough to post text here.

We have a bike forum that allows you to post pics directly with ease from phone or PC , has a brilliant mobile version and is very easy to use.

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2018 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock