Won’t start!!!☠️ by kevin
Started on: 04-06-2018 08:22 PM
Replies: 8 (225 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 04-07-2018 10:34 AM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
My ‘85 is stuck in a McDonalds parking lot. I drove it in to get some lunch. After lunch I got back in my Duke, turned the key, and the starter will not turn the flywheel. (1.) New battery (2.) There is NO neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal (3.) ALL the internal dash lights come on: blue ringy-dingy, the service engine soon, the red oil light, and the battery needle moves, as does the HVAC fan also comes on.
When I turn the ignition key ‘On’— nothing! Anybody have any ideas?
Cordially,
Kevin
Ps. It was raining today.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, try wiggling/tightening the battery cable connections. Strange things happen if the connection isn't tight enough to let enough current flow.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tap the starter w a hammer and try wiggling the key while in the start position. Or something just got wet. Def check battery cables foist

shem
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
Thanks for both your reply’s. My Fiero was running perfectly all day! If there was an issue with the battery, then why would it run so well before my lunch? The starter never gave me the slightest indication that it was near failing. Any other ideas?
Cordially,
kevin
Ps. Other than Cliff, does anybody know how to move my post to the technical discussion questions?

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 04-07-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get some friends together and go push-start the car. You could then at least get it home.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Fellas,
If there was an issue with the battery, then why would it run so well before my lunch? The starter never gave me the slightest indication that it was near failing. Any other ideas?

Check the basic easy stuff first. Battery was recently replaced, so check the connections. Clutch safety switch was disconnected, so check that the over-ride connection is still good. Things break; starters fail that way, rain on the battery...

Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When u turn the key does it go “click”? Or something?... and batteries do die out of the blue (rare but happens) but sounds like it’s fine since your not saying all the lights go out when you try to crank it. Like stated before, check battery connections, but also check them at the other end, it would cause same problem
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can turn on the headlights, then have someone watch the headlights while you try to start the engine. If the headlights dim, then come right back to full brightness, if't the starter; if they dim, but slowly get back to brightness, it's the battery or battery conndctions, like a loose bolt; if nothing happens, it's a switch, or ground wire issue.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As suggested above...

1. push start the car to get it home.
2. if you don't even get a starter "click" check wiring/power to solenoid
3. if no power to solenoid, backtrack wiring - it may be your clutch safety switch bypass or ignition switch
4. if solenoid and power OK, then all that's left is battery or starter itself

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-07-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock