Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Painting The Dash Defrost Vent with A Brush?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Painting The Dash Defrost Vent with A Brush? by VanGTP5000
Started on: 03-14-2018 10:32 PM
Replies: 15 (331 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 03-18-2018 07:01 PM
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to avoid removing my dash to access the bolts underneath that allow the removal of the defrost vent. I realize many will say that removing the dash is easy. This is not so in my case as my car has been modified significantly. I am thinking about just using a brush to paint it rather than spraying it while in position.

What do you think?

-Van
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don’t the defrost vents pop right out? I tried a brush when I painted mine. It just gives a better coat if you spray paint it. If you’re gonna use a brush don’t use a cheap one, the nicer ones paint on much better.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

Don’t the defrost vents pop right out? I tried a brush when I painted mine. It just gives a better coat if you spray paint it. If you’re gonna use a brush don’t use a cheap one, the nicer ones paint on much better.

The bolts have to be removed from underneath.

-Van
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The grille is attached from the underside with 7 mm bolts.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If its too hard to remove... a better choice than brushing would be remove what you can, tape everything off and spray it in the car. Sounds crazy but I did it on a whole dash on 79 280ZX and it turned out. Taped off the windshield, the gauge cluster, many small things. You have to be tedious and use a lot of tape and newspaper or plastic.

If you are just doing the defrost vents tape them off and spray. You could probly stand up some pieces of paper by sticking the edge down in the crack where the vent meets the dash too. I sometimes use a bed sheet to lay on large areas if I am worried about overspray.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-16-2018).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first car was a 1975 Datsun 280Z.

Yeah I am concerned about overspray, which is why I am considering the brush alternative. The waffle grate just looks old and weathered. The frame around it looks great. I figured a brush on layer wouldn't be a problem on the grate part...

-Van
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To add a serious note, I would tape off the necessary area around the vent, plus the windshield. And instead of a brush, perhaps a sponge. I can picture paint dripping out of the brush with pressure applied and falling into the vent. Just an idea.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For easier access... pull the windshield!
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
I sometimes use a bed sheet to lay on large areas if I am worried about overspray.

[Shannon] : "Jason.... Do you know this black stuff is all over my new sheets"?
JMTUT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Van,
I understand why you would be worried about overspray. The whit interior in your car is immaculate. If you are just doing touchups, you could consider a paint pen available at most hobby stores. Much less issue with drips, etc.
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2018 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

To add a serious note, I would tape off the necessary area around the vent, plus the windshield. And instead of a brush, perhaps a sponge. I can picture paint dripping out of the brush with pressure applied and falling into the vent. Just an idea.

I had been thinking about a paint pen from a hobby store. I see Tut just suggested that as well .
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2018 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Originally posted by JMTUT:

Van,
I understand why you would be worried about overspray. The whit interior in your car is immaculate. If you are just doing touchups, you could consider a paint pen available at most hobby stores. Much less issue with drips, etc.

Tut,

Great minds do think alike! I had been in Hobby Lobby yesterday when I got the idea.

Thanks,
-Van
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2018 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VanGTP5000

669 posts
Member since Feb 2017

Originally posted by Patrick:

For easier access... pull the windshield!

Not gonna happen Patrick...my car isn't a stock Fiero anymore.

-Van
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2018 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

Not gonna happen Patrick...my car isn't a stock Fiero anymore.

I wasn't exactly being serious.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Left side done with a paint pen instead of a brush.

-Van

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock