Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How to change an Alternator on a 3800 swap, with Lower Alternator Bracket? ? ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to change an Alternator on a 3800 swap, with Lower Alternator Bracket? ? ? by JohnWPB
Started on: 03-14-2018 09:01 PM
Replies: 9 (294 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 03-16-2018 08:15 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the record, I am using FieroRog's lower alternator bracket and tensioner pulley / dog bone bracket as in this photo.

There is hardly any room to work in there, as the alternator is just milimeters from the front trunk wall. A friend and I managed to get the alternator bolts all out, and the wiring disconnected. It was then we discovered there was no way to get the alternator out of the car without disassembling something. It got dark, so we will finish it up tomorrow.

What is the easiest way to get the alternator out, and the new one back in? Will jacking up the car allow the axle and suspension to sag enough to get it out? Do I need to remove the whole dog bone / tensioner pulley assembly? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about dropping the cradle in the rear to allow you access to get the alternator out?

-Van
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was honestly hoping for an easier solution than dropping the Cradle. It just may come to that though unless someone else has a better idea.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ran into this a while back.
Needed to remove the nuts from the strut towers, remove the rear cradle bolts and lower the back of the cradle down to provide access.
It was very simple and didn't take very much time.

Check to make sure you don't have any exhaust hangers attached to the spaceframe or bodywork....
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren`t there only 3 bolts holding the bracket to the block?
I don`t remember mine but my trunk was cut out making it much easier to get to the alternator.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice! I was able to jack the car up and put jack stands under the rear of the car, just in front of the tires. I then put the jack in the rear center of the cradle and lifted till the car JUST started to go up. I removed the 2 cradle bolts in the back corners, and SLOWLY lower the jack till the alternator cleared.

The part that surprised me the very most is when I jacked the jack back up, the bolts lined up and both went directly in with just a couple turns with my fingers. NOTHING like this has EVER happened while working on this car. Anyhow, It's all back together.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would NEVER give you bad advice.

Sometimes it's easy......
ltlgt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think i removed my dog bone and the actual fierorog brack when i put mine in and conected the alternator befpre attaching the bracket to the engine.

So maybe the reverse?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2018 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I installed the FieroRog bracket and the alternator, it was a much much much easier task. The engine was sitting on an engine stand :-)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock