New Fiero (and MERA) Fact and Reference Book by GoGoFiero
Started on: 03-10-2018 03:03 AM
Replies: 29 (1056 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 03-31-2018 10:57 AM
GoGoFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GoGoFieroSend a Private Message to GoGoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a Pennock's Forum post a few months ago, I indicated that I would be publishing a Fiero fact and reference book.

That book, entitled “All 1984-1988 Pontiac Fiero Colors, Codes & Quantities,” is now available on Amazon. For Fiero enthusiasts who live outside the United States, the book is available on your country’s Amazon site, such as Amazon.de (Germany), Amazon.es (Spain), Amazon.co.uk (United Kingdom), etc. You can simply order your book from your Amazon website and thereby pay a minimal shipping amount since your book will be printed in (or near to) your country. The book will always be in the English language. For my Amazon author page, please click this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Robe...p_byline_cont_book_1

It would be impossible to complete such a work without the assistance of many brilliant Fiero devotees. I acknowledge and would like to send a gracious thank you to the ones who spent time speaking with me, emailing me, and/or texting. Their contribution of primary source documentation, including data reports and photographs, helped ‘fine tune’ some of the facts:

Christo Datini, GM Heritage Center, Michigan
George Zapora, Vintage Vehicle Services, Canada (Canadian Fiero Data)
Mary Raetz, Director, Automotive News Data Center
John Willhoff, (Pennock’s: 88DatabaseGuy)
Paul McKibben (all around great guy)
David Kauzlarich (Mr. Fiero Literature)
Steve Hamilton (Pennock’s: Raydar)
John Podziemski (Pennock’s: Fiero John-WI)
Jim Hallman, Enthusiast’s Guide to the Pontiac Fiero & NIFE member
Mark Corbin, Fiero Spotter’s Guide
Jeremy Biggs, The Fiero Factory

This well-researched book includes Pontiac production totals for most of the pertinent RPOs for all years of Fiero. The very detailed 1986 and 1988 production RPO totals are again from Pontiac reports. The 1986 production data has, to my knowledge, never been disseminated. Some of the Pontiac data:

The 1984 RPO 14U paint and the 1985 RPO 14U paint are not the same color
Pontiac data for Blue Metallic paint production in 1984, 1985, and 1986
Total RPO D42 production for 1984 (engine compartment screen)
Total production for 1986 S/E with V6 + Getrag (very rare)
Total production for 1986 GT with Getrag (rare)
1986 individual exterior color totals for each body style (How many 1986 Silver GTs? Answer: 1,103 units)
1986 individual interior totals for each body style (How many 1986 GTs had RPO 622 Camel Suede interior? Answer: 369 units)
How many 1988 Coupes/Formulas were recorded with RPO N41 Power Steering?
How many 1988 GTs were recorded with RPO N41 Power Steering?
How many 1988 GTs had RPO 60P Gold Diamond-Spoke wheels? (rare)
How many 1988 GTs (by color) were delivered to Canada (RPO Z49)?
How many 1988 GTs (by color) were exported (RPO EXP)?

Additionally, MERA information is presented, including serial tag changes and the proper paint codes for the MERA exterior paint colors. For MERA, only the Fiero White and Fiero Black paints were used, otherwise MERA used paint colors from Corvette, Porsche, Ford, and Chrysler. Which colors were they?

The book includes direction on how to read and understand your Fiero’s SPID label, Certification label, and VIN. There is a six page list of Fiero RPOs. There is a listing of Fiero’s monthly production totals as well as the approximate final VIN of each month of production for all years of Fiero. There is a discussion section with information on very specific Fieros, including the 50 units of 1986 “Pegasus GT” Fieros with white aero skirts and large Pegasus decal on the hood. The book can be updated quite easily as additional primary source data is verified.

The goal of this book, as is the goal of all of my automotive books, is to compile and present in one publication the mound of data that is oftentimes cryptically presented in primary source documents and habitually scattered across the internet. I believe that information and/or data should not be kept hidden from automotive enthusiasts. This reference book gives everyone the opportunity to understand their own Fiero, and perhaps arm them with useful knowledge when a Fiero purchase, or sale, is imminent.

Enjoy!

Best,

Robert Casey

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
copperhens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This seems like an awesome idea! I may have to get a book now.
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any info in this book on the T-top cars?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2018 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered mine. Thanks Robert!.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder who ordered the first one. And was it someone on here, or just someone who happened on it?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-11-2018).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be ordering one but I am going to wait until it is available on Amazon.ca. It is listed as unavailable at this time. I can get it on the Amazon.com website but it costs more for shipping. This sounds like a great book, hope it sells well.

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 03-11-2018).]

fieroparts.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll have my copy tomorrow, according to Amazon
fieroparts.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroparts.com

4831 posts
Member since Jun 2000
This might get more traction in the mall.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroparts.com:

I'll have my copy tomorrow, according to Amazon

Lucky you. I ordered mine at 8:32am, according to my emailed receipt. Shows not shipped yet.

Amazon seems to be having issues. I had to try several times go get the order to take. It didn't want to add to my cart.
fieroparts.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine shipped from Delaware. If you have prime it would ship 2 day.

Originally posted by tshark:

Lucky you. I ordered mine at 8:32am, according to my emailed receipt. Shows not shipped yet.

Amazon seems to be having issues. I had to try several times go get the order to take. It didn't want to add to my cart.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shipments from Amazon take forever. I almost always get my shipping refunded. I once paid $287 for next day delivery. 2 weeks later, still no item.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazon.ca says Currently Unavailable.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2018 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe stock sold out.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Available on the US Amazon site as of this morning.

Nelson
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just added to cart, will be ordering on payday.
fieroparts.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received my copy today, basically it's all the information we already know put into one easy to read book.

GoGoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoGoFieroSend a Private Message to GoGoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my hastily prepared first post, I omitted the name of a Pennock's member who was of great assistance to me. I send a special thank you to...

Dave Lambert (Pennock's: CoolBlue87GT)

Dave, thank you for your quick response and help with the "mystery production grid."
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be delivered on the 19th.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LT188GT (edited 03-12-2018).]

88 Database Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert,

It was a pleasure talking to you while you were researching your great book. Your "Thanks" are appreciated but are not necessary though because I learned a lot more than you did during our conversations. I thought that a lot of the details about our cars had been lost forever, either due to the passage of time or people. But, you managed to ferret out some real interesting stuff, like the fact that blue Fieros were not just made in '85 and '87! Or the list of Pontiac reported monthly Fiero production numbers. Maybe in my early stages of senility I've forgotten some of the facts you include in your book, but I think the reality is that I never knew them before at all, which makes finding out about them that much more enjoyable.

Fiero fans, I've got my copy of the book and hope y'all can get one for yourself. Next time I'm headed out to the yards to hunt treasure I'll be carrying this along without a doubt.

I'll close by noting that although Robert has been very generous in his thanks, this book is the product of almost three years of his own research and hard work to ferret out ground truths and facts. Check out his other books on other GM cars, he's a professional writer and car nut who knows what he's talking about, and we're lucky he decided to spend some of his time researching our little cars. I was thrilled to be able to help out in a few small ways and will be rereading the info in his book for a long time.

John aka 88 Database Guy
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2018 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine still hasn't shipped. Typical Amazon. Another order was supposed to have been delivered 2 months ago. It shows "a delay in the order".
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2018 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert, thanks for the acknowledgment, I'm just glad you were able to see how our members banded together giving you information for your project.

We've got a great bunch of guys here.

88Database Guy said it well.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still not shipped.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2018 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am waiting on my shipment from Amazon now also. The other item I ordered with the book has shipped but no word on the book so far.

Nelson
GoGoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GoGoFieroSend a Private Message to GoGoFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wftb:

Amazon Canada now indicates that the book is available.

Thank you!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine on Monday. Cool information!
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2018 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered my copy. Looking forward to it. Thank you for doing this. Steve

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2018 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Told I would get it on the 19th but I got it today.
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2018 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert really has put together the definitive work on Fiero here. You will find a treasure trove of info that you never thought could be available to the general public. Nuggets like the production totals of the Getrag in SE's and GT's are just not found in any other common source material. The info on the various non-standard paint colors for Fiero is reason enough to buy this excellent piece of work. Remember the blue 85 that was saved from a boneyard and ended up at the Fiero Factory? I know that in our hobby these days, most people shun paper products. You will not be disappointed in this book and it will settle some arguments that have been around for a long time. It might even engender some new ones.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2018 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroparts.com:

Mine shipped from Delaware. If you have prime it would ship 2 day.

Mine is experiencing a "transit delay". It doesn't matter if you pay to ship overnight.

I paid $584 plus insurance to overnight an item to Texas. About a month later, it was still meandering around. I got my refund, for both the shipping and the product. We paid to ship some items overseas. 800 pallets. They're delivered, but the shipping is being refunded, because they failed to deliver on time. Also getting money from insurance. Yep, the client gets some money, too. It works well. We charge for the full amount, plus what we'll have to refund, they budget for what they pay minus the refund. We end up with the full profit for the product, plus the shipping fee, plus the insurance refund. The only catch is shipping before the order is made or paid, and hoping you're right. Since the shipping is on account, we get the refund without ever having paid for anything but the product. It's a contract account, so as long as we maintain the account, our rate doesn't change.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GoGoFiero:

Amazon Canada now indicates that the book is available.

Already got mine. Thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock