Help with a Fiero dilemma by Romocarguy
Started on: 03-07-2018 11:25 PM
Replies: 19 (683 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 03-27-2018 11:12 AM
Romocarguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2018 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RomocarguySend a Private Message to RomocarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fairly new to the forum and I need some perspective. I recently bought an 88’GT CJB T-top from the original owner. 47k miles, highly optioned, Red/Beechwood with tons of documentation. Long story short the car needs a lot of work much more than I anticipated. It was an impulse buy. I’ve already (paid to have) the front subframe replaced with all new bushings, ball joints, shocks and now the rear cradle needs to be replaced (rust). Come to find out the drivers side trunk area is also rusted. The car needs struts, brake lines, transmission lines, a paint job and headliner and a bunch of other smaller issues. Since I don’t have the time or means to do the work myself I am paying my mechanic/friend to do the work and that’s not cheap. Much of what has to be done is fairly labor intensive so my question and dilemma is what approximate price range would the car bring finished? I like the car a lot and am excited about owning and driving a fairly rare and very cool Fiero but at some point I have to balance the large investment with an idea of what the car could be potentially worth. Tough question to answer but would appreciate a different perspective and some feedback, maybe some encouragement or a whack on the head! Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are paying someone to work on it you will never recoup the investment. You're best bet would be to cut your losses now and get rid of it.

I hate to discourage you, but you would be throwing good money after bad.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Romocarguy:

...and now the rear cradle needs to be replaced (rust). Come to find out the drivers side trunk area is also rusted.

I'm not trying to give you a bad time, but quit throwing money at this car until you at least have a handle on how extensive the rust is!

Not to rub it in, but this is what you should've been checking for prior to buying this or any other Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-08-2018).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont how a car with only 47000 on it would have that much rust unless it was left parked outside right beside the ocean. Sounds like you got had by a speedo rollback artist. Unless you got it dirt cheap you will never get your investment back. But if you can afford it and just want an unusual and rare car to play with maybe what it costs will be worth it to you.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you decide to abandon the restoration, consider removing the T-top and transplanting it to another Fiero.

Also, contact Ray Paulk at MAFOA and give him the info on the car. Ray is there in Mass. with you. He maintains the T-top Registry, and John Wilhoff, 88databaseguy, here on PFF who maintains the 88 registry.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-08-2018).]

Nextel dude

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nextel dudeSend a Private Message to Nextel dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You could sell it to me...lol. If you decide to sell there are buyers wanting 88's and there are people looking for t-top 88's so you won't have a hard time selling your car if priced right. Priced right meaning before you dump a boatload of money into it as previous replies have advised against. Good luck whichever way you go.
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pics?
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd grab a cheap driver or non-running parts car from outside of the rust belt, like here in TX. Transfer everything of value from yours to it. In the long run it will be less headache than trying to chase every problem yours has.
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rust is no mystery. Although many cars are cherished by their owners, and stored in the winter to protect them from the salt monster, life circumstances sometimes force them to drive their trophy in the winter, and even once or twice is enough to get salt tucked into corners. If not aggressively cleaned out afterwards, all that is required is time. Fieros are cursed by their architecture. The frame, subframes and metal body parts all intersect in some hard to reach, even hard to see ways..rust that starts there will destroy a Fiero, while the SMC outer body retains a much younger, fresher look. Even if the miles are accurate, your car was doomed by a couple trips over salted roads.
If you want to continue owning this car, and doing some work to repair/restore it, let's get together. I am in Rindge, NH, not that far from you. We (wife and I) own a CJB Formula, which we are modifying with a GTP drivetrain over the next 2 summers. We are going to have a spare 88 cradle, an entire 2.8 drivetrain, and many other parts you would need to repair your car. We have a paved driveway, a garage, shed and workshop, and almost every tool you could need. You could store the car here while the work proceeds, our property is equipped with HD security cameras and sensor lights. If you determine your car is worth keeping, we could team up and finish both these projects, and save you money on parts and labor. If you decide you are done with it, bring it here, and we will efficiently dismantle it, and sell the usable parts on EB/CL/PFF, returning some of your investment. I can store the parts, and do all the photos, descriptions, and postings to accomplish the liquidation...I have been very successful selling all my surplus this way.
Decision time....
PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CJB118:

Rust is no mystery. Although many cars are cherished by their owners, and stored in the winter to protect them from the salt monster, life circumstances sometimes force them to drive their trophy in the winter, and even once or twice is enough to get salt tucked into corners. If not aggressively cleaned out afterwards, all that is required is time. Fieros are cursed by their architecture. The frame, subframes and metal body parts all intersect in some hard to reach, even hard to see ways..rust that starts there will destroy a Fiero, while the SMC outer body retains a much younger, fresher look. Even if the miles are accurate, your car was doomed by a couple trips over salted roads.
If you want to continue owning this car, and doing some work to repair/restore it, let's get together. I am in Rindge, NH, not that far from you. We (wife and I) own a CJB Formula, which we are modifying with a GTP drivetrain over the next 2 summers. We are going to have a spare 88 cradle, an entire 2.8 drivetrain, and many other parts you would need to repair your car. We have a paved driveway, a garage, shed and workshop, and almost every tool you could need. You could store the car here while the work proceeds, our property is equipped with HD security cameras and sensor lights. If you determine your car is worth keeping, we could team up and finish both these projects, and save you money on parts and labor. If you decide you are done with it, bring it here, and we will efficiently dismantle it, and sell the usable parts on EB/CL/PFF, returning some of your investment. I can store the parts, and do all the photos, descriptions, and postings to accomplish the liquidation...I have been very successful selling all my surplus this way.
Decision time....

Why can't you live in TX...? Romocarguy, there's something wrong with you if you don't jump on this offer. Just sayin'.
Romocarguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RomocarguySend a Private Message to RomocarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. This was a huge lesson learned and one frankly that I should have learned by know. Very helpful input and yes CJB I will take you up on your offer. I will send you an email or PM. Thanks again.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I should have learned by know.

Great Freudian Slip....

It's considered the most desirable Fiero, so you may be able to come up with a plan to save it....Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-08-2018).]

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the vin number it would be much easier to find out and I can tell you how rare it is and information i have on your car, plus I'll let you know if it's worth going further on the resto..
Romocarguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2018 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RomocarguySend a Private Message to RomocarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you I just emailed the VIN to you thanks again.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the car a lot and am excited about owning and driving a fairly rare and very cool Fiero but at some point
I have to balance the large investment with an idea of what the car could be potentially worth.

I fell into that quicksand trap myself and paid too much for a car that needed far more work than I had been led to believe.
I did all the work myself (except paint) and it still cost a fortune. It's a head turner now though!

But I planned to keep it, not try to sell at a profit after restoration.
I think that is a losing proposition with any Fiero.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-09-2018).]

Romocarguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RomocarguySend a Private Message to RomocarguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update; after closer inspection of the rear trunk/rail area and discovering considerable rust I have decided to abandon the restoration. I get that this should have been first step rather than last step but here I am. So 88' GT CJB code T-top 47K original miles with documentation from original owner.. any suggestions on how I might recover some cost and dignity? I have a totally refurbished front sub-frame with Dickman lowering ball joints, all new bushings and link, etc.. Also have mint rear cradle, near perfect pair of sheepskin seats from original owner of an 84, almost perfect tail lights, etc etc. all of these parts I was obviously going to use in the resto. The miles are known and accurate at 47k and the motor sounds and runs great. I think the best path for me is to buy a finished car but need an exit plan for this one. Would appreciate input and suggestions and no offense taken to those who ask what was I thinking.....
Bump

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BumpSend a Private Message to BumpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Full coverage + large tree
Haha... kidding, but might be your only way to fully recoup costs... (not sure I saw how much you have into it)

Find a wrecked one and rebuild with your better quality parts? (Although you said you don't want to do this)

Part it out?

Sell it to Billy in 4C? (sorry, mean Dumb and Dumber movie joke)
25 extra bucks

[This message has been edited by Bump (edited 03-27-2018).]

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is still valuable as a parts car. If you sell it as is, you will get some of your money back, but if you plan to transfer any or those parts to another Fiero, then you are dismantling it, keeping some parts and selling the rest. There is at least one excellent thread here showing all the steps necessary to add the t-tops to a Fiero, with pretty basic tools, and many Fieros available for the implant procedure. You can still end up with a distinctive and fun car, even if you don't do major surgery. I think it is worthwhile to dismantle, keep all the good parts, then take your time, find another basic (rust-free) 88 for cheap, and use your stockpile to build that one into something special, maybe even an L67 swap. When that car is finished, all surplus parts can be sold. In any case, if you are not totally burned out on the concept, I am still available to help you with the dismantle/build process. If you are selling it outright, I might be a buyer, I am selling some of my "other" Pontiacs this summer to get project money. Feel free to PM or call me with a price for it.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (DD)

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Update; after closer inspection of the rear trunk/rail area and discovering considerable rust I have decided to abandon the restoration. I get that this should have been first step rather than last step but here I am. So 88' GT CJB code T-top 47K original miles with documentation from original owner.. any suggestions on how I might recover some cost and dignity? I have a totally refurbished front sub-frame with Dickman lowering ball joints, all new bushings and link, etc.. Also have mint rear cradle, near perfect pair of sheepskin seats from original owner of an 84, almost perfect tail lights, etc etc. all of these parts I was obviously going to use in the resto. The miles are known and accurate at 47k and the motor sounds and runs great. I think the best path for me is to buy a finished car but need an exit plan for this one. Would appreciate input and suggestions and no offense taken to those who ask what was I thinking.....

Could you send pics of the rusted areas to the email address I have posted in the Members List section?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2018 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CJB118:

There is at least one excellent thread here showing all the steps necessary to add the t-tops to a Fiero, with pretty basic tools, and many Fieros available for the implant procedure.

Yups it's here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000070.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock