making parts with molds and resins by K_Belmont
Started on: 03-03-2018 10:57 PM
Replies: 9 (374 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 03-05-2018 06:06 PM
K_Belmont

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for K_BelmontSend a Private Message to K_BelmontEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My apologies if this has been touched upon before. I did a quick search and didn't see this topic.

Has anyone attempted making any parts for their cars with silicone molds? I'm having difficulty finding some parts and began looking into how you could mold your own. See the following video for what I'm referring to.

Silicone molds and resin video.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
K_Belmont

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for K_BelmontSend a Private Message to K_BelmontEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the stuff that I was looking at. They sell it in a lot of arts and crafts stores as well.

Alumilite mold making materials and resins
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can make a lot of parts with resin. The issue is that the resin is brittle when poured in thin layers. The Alumilite product is more for lenses than parts. If you notice they say "cosmetic" or "theatrical props" for the final product. What are you trying to make?
K_Belmont

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for K_BelmontSend a Private Message to K_BelmontEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Initially, I was thinking of making interior bezels with it. (like all the flat pieces held in with 4 screws in the dash console). Mine have a few with the dreaded cracks around the screw holes. Figured I could make some custom ones, and they would be simple enough to get something nice out of it. Also would need to do them all, and not just the ones with issues, so that they all match. Could also be done if anyone was wanting to make custom coloured copies of any switches, knobs, levers, etc. Would be hard pressed to do anything very complicated that has a lot of parts, but I'd think it would be possible given enough time and cleanup.

[This message has been edited by K_Belmont (edited 03-04-2018).]

K_Belmont

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for K_BelmontSend a Private Message to K_BelmontEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

K_Belmont

30 posts
Member since Mar 2014
Video of making brackets for a mirror on an MG-B

Just another example of someone making a durable part for a car with alumilite
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used alumilite for few years. Its a good product. It is going to be more brittle then abs, so you have to be carefu l on this pieces or pies with pressure on them. I used to use SEM color coat spray paint to paint the mold. I'd pour the alumilite and it would then harden/cure to the paint and come out really nice. Molds would give me about 20- 30 pulls before the chemicals caused the silicones to start to crack,tear, weaken.. It wont be cheap to create the molds though. It takes more silicone then you expect.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2018 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of Alumilite, you could use fiberglass. Prep your mold with PVA release agent, and you're good to go.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 03-04-2018).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used Alumilite to make small parts for model trains. Its a neat product and it can be sanded, filed, glued or painted just like plastic. I never advanced to the point of using a 2-part mold, so my parts always had a "plain" surface on the back side. Occasionally, there can be small air bubbles but they can be filled easily using your favorite body putty (or thick CA-glue). On a large and flat surface like a gauge surround I think a bigger concern might be warping but I have no experience with anything that large.

The shelf life of the opened bottles of resin is not terribly long, so plan on using it up within a month or so after opening the bottles. When it goes bad, it gets kind of foamy and full of bubbles.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure whatever material you use, that it survives high heat + exposure to UV...!
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2018 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my whole process when I made my mirror stands.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128969.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock