Started on: 03-01-2018 07:44 PM
Replies: 15 (724 views)
Last post by: Silicoan86 on 03-22-2018 10:58 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there aren't any cell phone holders made for Fieros...

BUT, are there any generic cell phone holders that can be adapted?

For example, the only options on my Formula are AC and cruise (Just the way I like it!). This means that there's a blank-off plate where the decklid release would be.
I could glue or screw a cell phone mount to this blank-off plate and it would literally be at my finger tips, barely having to take my hands off the wheel.

Anyone found such a mount that works?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen GPS's mounted to the right side of the main instrument pod. One particular one was mounted with some type of double side tape, probably of the type used for body side molding. Maybe a cell phone holder with a mounting pad would work in this manner.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy one of these. They screw under your passenger seat mounting bolt.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ar...9526.m4383.l4275.c10
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are current window suction cup mounts that will work for either a GPS or a phone. You can also use a magnetic mount that installs on a vent and is locked to the phone by a steel disc adhering to either the phone or a case. I have used both and each works fairly well.

Nelson
Wraith177

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.scosche.com/magi...ash-window-car-mount

This is what my wife and I use. I don’t have the extra box of gauges above the cabin vents, so I stick mine on the left bit of that flat surface. It has never fallen off. I highly recommend it
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not all phones are created equal, but I find that mine perfectly wedges between the shifter surround and the HVAC buttons, standing upright. Such a perfect fit, that it doesn't budge. Easy enough. I did buy a windshield mount that offers wireless charging, it just happens to mount in a way that doesn't obscure my visibility any more than the headlights do in the up position. I needed wireless because my charging port failed and my phone supports wireless.

That charger is universal, as long as your phone can charge on a wireless stand/pad. Not "perfect", but very well worth the $18 shipped price.
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ?

I just lay my cell phone in the front of the shifter, if I even get it out of my pocket.

Oh ... you must want to use it while driving. My wife has a nifty thrifty holder in her Rav4. I will try to remember to ask her to ask our son where it cane from.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2018 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best yet. A small magnet mounts to the phone (I predrill a 3/4" hole through my phone case and mount to phone).

https://www.amazon.com/s/re...%2Ck%3Asteele+magnet

Edit: I have a 1 gallon baggie filled with spent holders. Just a lot of garbage. This magnet mounts to your phone, and now your phone can hang anywhere. Even upside down. I have a ball in each vehicle. I can actually toss my phone at the ball and it sticks. I play Pandora a lot at work. The phone can magnetize to a drywall nail.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 03-02-2018).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i use Nekteck Magnetic phone holder. Have them in all my cars. Works great, and makes it easy to move from car to car. Magnet is in the holder, not the phone. They also have versions that mount in the CD slot, or on vents, but the stick on kind woks the best. Mine is mounted just to the right of the HVAC controls, so easily seen, but out of the way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another Plus for the Nekteck mount. It is a magnetic mount that you can stick or screw to just about anywhere that you can fit a quarter.

It comes with a couple ultra thin pieces of metal that you can either stick to the back of your phone if you do not use a case (they are have adhesive on one side), or simply slip inside your phones case if you use one, so it is completely hidden. The magnet is STRONG and hold my HEAVY phone (6.9" screen) no problem. The mount can be rotated and turned to just about any angle as well.

There are no levers, and no having to wedge your phone into some sort of mount every time you get in and out of the car. Just grab and go.

for $8 you really can not go wrong.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-02-2018).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2018 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both those pics look like can work all depends what else you want eg: a plug input for music if android etc. It can depend on your choice of aftermarket stereo whether you even require a holder even watches these days all do bluetooth..

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 03-03-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My magnetic phone mount is the type that mounts on the dash vents using a split finger type of clamp design. It is just a friction fit but it has been very reliable.

Nelson
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2018 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took off that blank plate that Will is talking about right where the decklid release would be and stuck a couple neodymium magnets inside of it. My phone's wallet case has a magnetic back and it attaches itself right to that blank trim plate. Best part is there is absolutely no sign of any mount whatsoever.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-22-2018 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

I took off that blank plate that Will is talking about right where the deck lid release would be and stuck a couple neodymium magnets inside of it. My phone's wallet case has a magnetic back and it attaches itself right to that blank trim plate. Best part is there is absolutely no sign of any mount whatsoever.

I like the hidden magnet idea. I do this with cabinets when I build a tiny home. Predrill and glue in several of those little magnets.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2018 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

I took off that blank plate that Will is talking about right where the decklid release would be and stuck a couple neodymium magnets inside of it. My phone's wallet case has a magnetic back and it attaches itself right to that blank trim plate. Best part is there is absolutely no sign of any mount whatsoever.

Interesting. That does sound pretty smooth. Does it slide off over bumps or high cornering g's?
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2018 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Interesting. That does sound pretty smooth. Does it slide off over bumps or high cornering g's?

Although I've only driven the car a few (~20) miles since I added this (spring has yet to arrive here in MN), it has stayed in place so far. It seems quite strong though - I don't expect any issues on the street but I would probably not use it during an autocross or track day just to be safe.

I should mention that I'm not using the little round neodymium magnets you commonly find online. I'm using rectangular neodymium magnets from an industrial grade servo motor. They just happen to be the perfect size and shape to fit inside that trim plate.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock