Full tank of Gas by Kent Dellenbusch
Started on: 02-28-2018 03:59 PM
Replies: 8 (381 views)
Last post by: Kent Dellenbusch on 03-02-2018 05:49 PM
Kent Dellenbusch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,
My gas gauge has not been working correctly. My question is how many miles does the 2.8 manual get on a full tank, roughly.
Thank you.
Kent
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kent Dellenbusch:

My question is how many miles does the 2.8 manual get on a full tank, roughly.

That's going to vary so much from car to car, person to person... especially with a 30 year old engine of undefined condition.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get approx' 20 mpg around town, and approx' 30 on the highway...But my 85 SE V6 is slightly modified; 3.4 F-body engine and getrag 5 spd.......Also, If I am running hard thru canyons and such, the gas tank develops a leak somewhere!

I generally can only run my tank down to a level where I can re-fill 8 to 8.2 gallons....Leaving approx' 2 gallons untouched.....I actually have an 87 tank and overflow, and will possibly install that some day.....Once I figure out how to clean the 87 tank properly/completely.....

Bottom line, if I am averaging 25 mpg (Mix highway & city) I will only get around 200 miles before needing a refill.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's going to vary so much from car to car, person to person... especially with a 30 year old engine of undefined condition.

Not to mention the variants of fuel tanks, and OP did not specify if he had the 4 or 5 speed manual.

Here are the min and max recorded ranges ever attained by my 1985 GT 2.8/Isuzu Fiero:

102 miles
Was not planned, I was able to coast until about 20' away from a gas station's pump, then I pushed the car the remainder of the distance.
Cold (barely spring) conditions, lots of idling, traffic, town driving.

176 miles
This was a fuel exhaustion test, performed in summertime on the autoroute(interstate for you USA types), around 70 MPH.
I ran out of fuel on the autoroute (as planned), then I used gasoline from my jerry can to make my way to a fuel station.

In both cases, the fuel tank was topped up, then the trip odometer was reset to zero. When fuel exhaustion occurred, I noted the value on the trip odometer.

In the instances where I exhausted the fuel tank, it took about 7.5 gallons to refill the car (and jerry can, if applicable).

OP, I recommend you perform your own fuel exhaustion tests, with a jerry can in the trunk. Do a worst-case (cold, idling, traffic) test and a best-case test (straight constant-speed highway); with these two extremes, you should have a good feel for how much fuel your car should drink.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know when I first purchased my Fiero(New in 85) it would go farther and would take more gas at fill-up......What would cause the gas tank to not fill all the way up or keep the pump from draining it to (Close to) the bottom.....I know some will always be left, but I should be able to get down to where a fill-up would take 9-10 gallons.......

I believe (But can't guarantee it) that I could go close to 300 miles on a tank when I first started driving it........
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
or auto trans too. gearing and TC clutch use affect mileage. On the highway w/ TCC locked or MT in highest gear vs City driving matter a lot to many cars.

If you follow anyone's guess how many miles then you can still run out.

Warning: Repeatedly running out of gas can Kill the fuel pump.
Liquid flow is Coolant and often Lube for most pump not just fuel pumps.
Even most Water and other pumps w/ air cooled motors will fry the pump and seal(s) when their run dry.

So Get you gauge and/or sender fix.

Caring gas in cans are dangerous at best. Most cans leak fumes when hot and can fill the trunk etc w/ same fumes waiting to explode.
Can be illegal in some areas like many tunnels and some toll and other limited access road(s) ban them. Examples: NJTP ban them years ago but don't know if that ban is still the rule. Many tunnels ban all HAZMAT or have limits how much you have like http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2018 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, fill the tank. Lock the nozzle on the lowest flow and when it cuts off, don't add any more fuel. Reset the trip odometer to 000. Drive about 150 miles then return to the same service station and use the same pump. Fill in the same manner. Divide the gallons pumped into the miles driven. That will tell you what your MPG is for the style driving you did.

Now, assume that the 84-86 tank will hold 10 gallons and the 87-88 tank will hold 12 gallons when full and assume that about 2 of those gallons are below the fuel pump pickup. That leaves 8 gallons in the early tank and 10 gallons in the late model tanks. As Ogre suggested, don't run the tank dry to avoid fuel pump failure. So, deduct 1 gallon from the usable amount of fuel available.

Now, multiply the MPG by either 7 or 9 gallons of usable fuel and you can come up with a mileage reminder to refill. You should be able to get 150 miles on almost any stock engine/transmission combination.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2018 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On highway trips with Fieros we usually don't go over 200 miles without a gas stop just to be safe.

But Testing via what fierofool said is good.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2018 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to Thank Everyone for your input. I always side on caution. I will get the fuel gauge fixed.
Have a great weekend.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock