Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Note To Self: Do NOT use rubbing alcohol to clean the HVAC face plate :(

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Note To Self: Do NOT use rubbing alcohol to clean the HVAC face plate :( by VanGTP5000
Started on: 02-06-2018 04:56 PM
Replies: 16 (429 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 02-08-2018 02:33 PM
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was cleaning the buttons with Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol very effectively, when I just couldn't leave well enough alone!!! One pass of the rag across the face plate and I clouded up the whole thing.

-Van
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I discovered years ago not to use full-strength Simple Green to clean anything on the dash with any painted words on it. Takes the paint (and obviously the words) right off.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rubbing alcohol wasn't as bad as that...but it left a residue.

-Van
copperhens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for copperhensSend a Private Message to copperhensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero had a perfect blinker stick(if these have a name I forgot it) and I was cleaning with armorall and I smudged all the letters on it. Still am mad I did that.
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by copperhens:

My Fiero had a perfect blinker stick(if these have a name I forgot it) and I was cleaning with armorall and I smudged all the letters on it. Still am mad I did that.

Ugg! I feel for you man!

-Van
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your looking at this all wrong! Now you have "Mystery buttons" and can play a game of "Which button does what?" (It would be more exciting if you had an ejection seat switch like Bond's Aston.....)
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something like this?

https://i.imgur.com/cUeQ1Up.gif

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 02-06-2018).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I immediately thought of the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" when I watched that vid......
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEVER use Armor All for anything except your lawnmower tires. I was in a class action lawsuit back years ago against them. Lots of people and my new (less than a year old) Mustang ended up with new seats, dash, door panels and convertible top for free. Everything Id used Armor All protectant on split and cracked. I used it several times a week from new to keep everything nice. Apparently it contained at least then, something that affected the flexibility of the vinyl. Everything cracked like a sheet of ice. They might have changed the formula, but I still wont use it at all on anything. Ive never had the problem since using Mequires.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if that "Wipe New" as seen on TV stuff might undo the damage?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I immediately thought of the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" when I watched that vid...

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

I wonder if that "Wipe New" as seen on TV stuff might undo the damage?

I wasn't aware of that product but just watched a video. Very interesting.

Thanks,
-Van
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Patrick....."That.....IS......A.......Cool picture!" (Poor Shatner imitation)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Hey Patrick....."That.....IS......A.......Cool picture!" (Poor Shatner imitation)

Not that we wish to detail this thread ... but I always got a kick out of Jim Carrey impersonating Captain Kirk...

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2018 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im gonna take a guess that the main ingredient in Wipe New is silicone. Obviously nothing will redo the wiped off lettering. Ive seen silicone do wonders for short term. Ive even seen it used on fogged up headlites...looks fine for a few days. My ex mother in law used to polish up her Cadillac with Old English furniture cream. Just wipe it on. Of course in a few days it was full of dust.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 02-08-2018).]

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2018 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Im gonna take a guess that the main ingredient in Wipe New is silicone. Obviously nothing will redo the wiped off lettering.

There was no wiped off lettering in the original post. The face plate was just cloudy as a result of using rubbing alcohol on it.

-Van

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock