Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Two types of ACDelco Ignition Coils at different prices mean any difference?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Two types of ACDelco Ignition Coils at different prices mean any difference? by Fiero Vice
Started on: 02-06-2018 06:05 AM
Replies: 7 (577 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 02-08-2018 05:33 PM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2018 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys,

For ’88 GT V6 2.8L, is there any difference in quality between ACDelco BS3005 (High Performance) and ACDelco D503A (Professional)? I assume not.

Then, why are the prices so different between those two parts.

-BS3005 on Amazon & eBay, the going rate is $18.40. Amazon & eBay don’t recognize BS3005 for ’88 GT but I was able to cross reference with GM part# 1115315 and it’s compatible.

-D503A on Amazon & Rock Auto, the going rate is $42.54 (Amazon) & 37.79 (Rock Auto).

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 02-06-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The performance line has gold plated terminals. What else... Idk?
I'd go with the professional line at that price, unless you have gold plated spark plugs too.

Edit- the fancy gold one is cheaper huh. I'd give it a try!

[This message has been edited by gen2muchwork (edited 02-06-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2018 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your opinion, Gen2muchwork.

Yeah, the fancy gold one is cheaper.

That's why I'm a bit confused. I was told by a retired auto parts expert that it's just a marketing scheme. Nothing more.

Just go with the cheaper price. Ha

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 02-07-2018).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had ordered a spare unit to keep in the glove box as recommended everywhere you look by everyone that owns a Fiero just in case of an emergency. The model was/is an AC Delco D1960A. I had slapped it in my GT last Fourth Of July when it crapped out on the way to the Independence Day Parade. Went out with a bang, sounded like a gunshot and the car stalled driving down the road fully dressed in American flags to be in the parade! Very embarrassing when that happened! Haha... Changed it right there on the spot It's been good ever since and working flawlessly since then. IIRC that model Delco module was around only 20 bucks Vs. others that *look* identical online for three times the price.

Maybe the more expensive ones have glitter and unicorn magic inside making them more expensive! :P

Edit: Ah, this is coil talk... Assumed it was module talk, as they tend to be the most common thing to fail on our cars. Muh bad!
------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[This message has been edited by Shho13 (edited 02-07-2018).]

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2018 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a problem, Shho13. It's good to know about ICM as well.

I'd welcome any experience or opinion on the whole distributor issue as well, not just coil.

If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have got rid of my first Fiero over 20 years ago when I was struggling to figure out what was wrong with the ignition system & I regretted it ever since. Those Pontiac mechanics didn’t know squat about ignition system in Fiero at all.

You have '88 GT, right? For ICM, I believe D1960A is limited for 85 & 86 Fiero with L4 2.5L engine.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes sir! 88GT! I put that module in and it's working just as good as ever for about a year now! Granted, she's sleeping right now since it's winter time...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-08-2018 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm surprised it works for 88 GT. Yeah, our babies are sleeping thru this hard cold winter. Ha

Can't wait for spring to come soon enough!
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2018 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shopping coils, fun eh.

One of the things I noticed when shopping for one about 6 years ago was all the store brands and the Delco one had sloppy loose "pots" (the center block for lack of a better term). The pots were loose enough to make me think they might not last to long. In the end I bought a MSD Streetfire coil for the 2.8L V6. Two plug style GM coil to some. It is basically an OEM replacement, but has a case around the pot that keeps it tight in place and an epoxy seal on top. It's built well and has performed very well. I didn't see the need for a MSD Blaster coil as my ignition system is fully stock (AC plugs, AC ICM, AC pickup coil, stock style wires).

My guess if you want the pure stock look the AC Delco coils are fine, no matter which one you get. Just watch watch out for the loose pot issue. Many just use the store brand coils with good luck, they look stock as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock