Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What year calipers do I need for a Grand Am brake swap?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What year calipers do I need for a Grand Am brake swap? by JohnWPB
Started on: 01-31-2018 04:07 PM
Replies: 3 (384 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 01-31-2018 08:00 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As the title says, I want to know what year Grand Am brake calipers I need to do the swap. I actually have Grand Am calipers on the front of my car now, but from what I understand they were sitting for a long time. I think the front right caliper is bad so I am just going to replace both of them to be sure all is well. Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. Please forgive any strange words in this post, as it was done 100% by voice while sitting in traffic :-)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the 1985-1989 Grand Am Calipers bolt up directly.

-Van
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds Good, Thanks! I split the difference in the year range and used 1986, which happens to be the year of my Fiero. There is a 30% off promo code for Advanced AutoParts I found with a Google search
I will get $20 back when I take the cores in to my local store, bringing the total to $43 for new front calipers, with free shipping.

The Promo Code I used is: DY5DBX

Now the questions:

I purchased a parts car that had 4 wheel drilled and slotted rotors, Grand AM brakes and SS brake lines all from the Fiero store, bought as a package. The Grand AM calipers were on the front only. We just transferred everything over to my car. Andrew (1984WhiteSE) was down visiting from Minneapolis and helped me do the work.

I know there are modifications needed when doing the original brake upgrade, and they were off course done on the parts car already. Being we simply transferred everything over from from the parts car to mine, I have no idea what needs modified now, if anything. Do I need to alter the new calipers before I install them?

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 01-31-2018).]

VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2018 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,

You have to remember to install the left front caliper on the right side (upside down) and the right front caliper on the left side (again upside down) to allow for proper bleeding in the future.

I PMd you.

-Van

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock