Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is this an OEM GT Quarter panel / sail window? Pics inside.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is this an OEM GT Quarter panel / sail window? Pics inside. by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 01-27-2018 10:35 PM
Replies: 11 (363 views)
Last post by: Thunderstruck GT on 01-29-2018 08:42 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep hearing about how the OEM GT panels have curves not present on the reproductions. I am not sure I have ever seen an original OEM version. I pulled this off a 87 GT a few days ago. Just the passenger side since the driver side was all busted up. It still had what looks like fishing line embedded behind the panel. Does that, and these pictures, indicate an OEM panel?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it isn't OEM, we need to find the person who made it. But yes, it looks to be original. Good recovery.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2018 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey...You found my lost quarter window! Thanks, I'll be right up to get it........
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Hey...You found my lost quarter window! Thanks, I'll be right up to get it........

Great! We can do my lower ball joints and tie rods while you are here! LOL
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never been able to get one of those off without totally destroying it in some fashion. That's why I keep some NOS ones around.

And because I have some NOS ones, I can tell you that yours looks like an original.
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could the fishing line be a leftover from someone's previous attempt to remove this panel?
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was the dot matrix kind of messed up on the OEMs like the one shown?
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, the fishing line was factory installed to aid in removal......Might actually work....For the first 2-4 years...After that, the line has aged, and the foam tape has hardened. I have tried using the fishing line on a few and it just breaks without really cutting thru the tape.

Second, I have had (Relatively) good luck removing them in JYs using a putty knife and some .020 safety wire wrapped around tools at either end to act as handles. I will admit that I was not trying to preserve the bodywork/paint tho!

Third, Ron, I would not want to use a pristine one for my setup....If someone has (Passenger side)one that is damaged at the front edge but otherwise in good shape I would like to get it (My setup has an aluminum "B" pillar that covers the leading edge of the window)

Forth, I am willing to help you any time, Ron....At the moment I am helping my friend's son fix up his Father's AMC Javelin....(Brian (RIP) built this car using Roger Penske's "Unfair Advantage" book and it would probably lay a very good lap time compared to 1960-70 Trans Am race cars...(The engine is a work of art inside and out, but it's a 4-0-1, instead of the TA-required 5 liter....It wraps to (At least) 7000 and puts out around 500 HP!) (And the suspension is where Brian really built it right!)
Curtisk1060

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that is for sure an original OEM GT quarter panel window with all the factory correct curves.
Curtisk1060

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curtisk1060

298 posts
Member since Dec 2011
Yes, that is for sure an original OEM GT quarter panel window with all the factory correct curves.
CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2018 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see the name LexaMar on that panel.

Lexamar Corporation
100 Lexamar Dr
Boyne City, MI, 49712 United States
(231) 582-3163

I see in past threads, that company was contacted and is not interested in producing them anymore.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-056428.html

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-28-2018).]

PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2018 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Was the dot matrix kind of messed up on the OEMs like the one shown?

It is my understanding that some of the last runs were rather crappy. I believe one of the seasoned members here (may have been JohnWPB) mentioned that the final runs were made elsewhere (perhaps Mexico) and there really wasn't much quality control.

One of my NOS ones the dot matrix is not done all that well.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 01-29-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock