Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  '86 2.5L 5 speed coupe; minor accident; easy, worthwhile repair.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'86 2.5L 5 speed coupe; minor accident; easy, worthwhile repair. by David Hambleton
Started on: 12-22-2017 10:28 PM
Replies: 3 (187 views)
Last post by: davylong86 on 12-23-2017 07:28 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2017 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a rainy day, and while stopped and waiting for oncoming traffic so I could turn left into work I heard skidding tires and saw headlights rapidly approaching in my rear view mirror.
I was hit by a Mitubishi battering ram, having only had time to throw my head back against the headrest before the impact.
Immediately apparent: The back wall of the trunk was deformed and the rear side marker lights and left rear reflector broken. The fascia was slightly deformed and the paint was crazed from the flexing.

I spent about 24 hours on the ensuing repair process, including visiting the collision reporting center, two autobody shops for estimates, stores for supplies and a local source for parts.
I reformed the bent trunk and frame rail ends, installed an almost new condition bumper channel, repaired a rusty trunk area, applied corrosion coatings, assembled the parts and repainted the fascia.

The perpetrator gave me $500 to cover my deductible, and my insurance company gave me $1528.80 for a total of $2028.80

I spent $280 on parts & supplies, so that yielded an hourly labour rate of $72.86 A fortunate outcome to an annoying incident.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Um, why didn't the other guy's insurance pay the whole thing?
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Ontario, your own insurance company pays your collision damages regardless of fault.
At some point years ago, it was determined that the costs of the litigation process for resolving financial responsibilities in a collision exceeded repair costs.
The other insurance company will pay the deductible if the other driver divulges the info. They can elect to pay it themselves to mitigate effects on their own rates.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2017 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. Good deal it didn't take out the tail lights, They seem to be getting harder to find in good condition as the GT lights are.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock