'88 Mellow Yellow log / build by 06GTO
Started on: 12-10-2017 06:40 AM
Replies: 15 (640 views)
Last post by: 06GTO on 03-30-2018 04:42 PM
06GTO

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, figured I'd start my workload/build thread for no other reason than to keep track of what I'm doing. Not my first Fiero, had an 86 4sp GT a while ago (which I should have kept). Did some work to it but got rid of it before I headed to Iraq. Put T-Tops in my 86 and liked them. Should of got another Fiero when I got back, but instead got one of these to work on:

Still have the Syclone, but been wanting another Fiero for a while now. I retired from the military a few months ago and am pretty much a stay at home Dad. Run a small business from my house, so needed another project to keep me busy.

Couldn't find an 88 Formula/GT 5 Speed for what I was willing to spend (they have really gotten expensive), so figure I'd make what I wanted. Gave my self a fairly light budget to work with.

Looked for while and found a nice '88 T-Top base coupe, w/AT. Bought it from the original owner (original title, which I should have taken picture of, but forgot to), but had been sitting a few years and didn't run. Trailered it home.

Plenty of use out of a winch on my RZR.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

The Formula look is really growing on me so for this one I decided to go with a basic Formula knock-off. Stuck the Fiero in the rocks for the first few weeks getting some basic stuff done.

Tried to get the ol duke running (88K miles on it) but didn't want to spend a bunch of time on it so did some basic stuff and gave up. Figure the fuel pump was bad (turns on, but doesn't prime at all). Since I'm going with a V6, have to change the fuel pump anyways so didn't want to buy another 4 Cylinder one to just get it running.

Just gonna work on a "basic" build, fix a few things, get it running for a DD. Hence the mellow.

Jacked up the subject of my other thread and it was starting to bother me, needed to start a new thread with the correct title.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First is the front suspension while I look for, and decide on, an engine/doner/whatever. Found a set of grey '88 wheels local (but still keeping an eye out for black lace).

Pulled the front end off. Rust isn't bad at all, but cleaned up what I found and did some painting.

Rust isn't bad at all, but cleaned up what I found and did some painting.

Sat in my garage a few weeks and the new calipers were already rusting, so put the front end back on the car so I can roll it around, without the calipers. Need to give them a coat of paint. Put some KBS coating on the frame all around the mounting points for the front suspension. Had some surface rust on it so figured why not.

Poly bushings. Rodney 1" lowering ball joints. Still trying to work out a solution for the front sway bar. The bolt/sleeve I got from Rodney, with the new bushings I have are just don't fit.
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

06GTO

220 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Given that I want to swap it over to a 5 speed, figured a parts car would be the best bet, especially since I want to eventually do stuff like power windows/locks and other nice to have's. While I found most of the items in the junkyards that I needed, held out of a doner.

Found this '87 GT 5 Speed local. Score! It was a loaded Fiero back in the day. Power everything, leather seats (trashed now), performance sound.

Towed it home, but guess a back brake was locked up.

Yes, it caught fire!

Started pulling the interior apart on the '88 while I was deciding on the right engine to put in it. Need to source some new door panels.

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

06GTO

220 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Decided on the 3.4 Pushrod for the swap. Got one.

Local performance shop wants 2K to rebuild it, which will blow my budget. I don't know the history of this one so not sure I just want to toss it in the '88. For 2K I can go numerous routes for the engine, so I'm not 100% decided on what I'm gonna do yet.

Gonna talk to another local performance shop this week and see what just the machine work will cost, might just rebuild it myself. Have done it before, but it has been a LONG time.

While I'm still deciding on the engine, time to pull at least one cradle out. Got some use out of the RZR and winch again and shuffled the '88 and doner car around.

Also pulled the front bumper off the '88 to clean it up, clean up some surface rust from the bumper bar.

With Fiero going infront of the camper, wife says I need to have it done by spring so we can get to the camper.
V6 radiator installed.

Prepped for removal.

Getting her out.

And she's out. With a lot of thanks to Toddster's post on this forum.

First one, took about 4 and a half hours. Rear bolts broke and cut the frame to get them out.

Anyone need an old Duke and/or AT?

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

06GTO

220 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Got the 'ol 3.4 to the machinist last week.

Getting the '88 rear cradle ready. Need to clean it up and paint it, rebuild the suspension and everything else.

What do I do with this old duke and AT?

Got ready to pull the doner 2.8/5 speed out this weekend.

And 2.8/5 speed is out. Started snowing on us as we were finishing up. Sure hope I can get this thing back together...

[This message has been edited by 06GTO (edited 12-10-2017).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting build. I wish you success.
Doing it all outside? Your a better (or at least braver) man than I am.

If you've got the funds to spare, do headers, a "dawg" intake mod, and a Crane 272 cam (will require different springs or head work). If you've got a bit more, have the heads and lower intake ported. Should be worth ~200 FWHP.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-10-2017).]

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Interesting build. I wish you success.
Doing it all outside? Your a better (or at least braver) man than I am.

If you've got the funds to spare, do headers, a "dawg" intake mod, and a Crane 272 cam (will require different springs or head work). If you've got a bit more, have the heads and lower intake ported. Should be worth ~200 FWHP.

Thanks. Not everything outside, but out of garage space so the cars themselves sit outside.
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

06GTO

220 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Crappy weather and the holidays mean slow going, but still making some progress.

the 2.8 out of the donar car, slowly being taken apart (obviously haven't made it far!)

Cradle cleaned, painted, and being put back together.

Got the 3.4 back from the machinist

New starter holes drilled/tapped

Block cleaned, and cleaned some more. Sure i'll do some more before i start to put it back together this week.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 with an 88 rear cradle/suspension....I'm not an expert on 88 rear cradles, but I notice the box-like bracket on the left side just in front of the lateral links...I believe it is for the Automatic trans mount....My Manual-trany cradle does not have this....I am not sure if it would get in the way of your manual transmission....Maybe someone else will chime in with more...complete knowledge...

It surprises me that there were 2 different cradles(In >>>88<<< )...I would think they would make one cradle that would fit both transmissions......Or maybe a bolt-on bracket (It looks to be welded on- but I can't be sure from the photo)
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
I'm not an expert on 88 rear cradles, but I notice the box-like bracket on the left side just in front of the lateral links...I believe it is for the Automatic trans mount....My Manual-trany cradle does not have this....I am not sure if it would get in the way of your manual transmission....Maybe someone else will chime in with more...complete knowledge...

It surprises me that there were 2 different cradles(In >>>88<<< )...I would think they would make one cradle that would fit both transmissions......Or maybe a bolt-on bracket (It looks to be welded on- but I can't be sure from the photo)

The cradle is from an 88 4cyl auto. The extra mount was added to help reduce vibrations, but only on the 4cyl auto versions. All manual transmissions and the 2.8 v6 used the same mounting method as the earlier years.

This 4cyl/auto cradle is still drilled for the more traditional auto and manual mounts as well as the sway bar mounts. Some cut this extra mount off (it is welded on), others leave it there. The only time it really gets in the way is if you plan on lowering the driveline below the stock height.
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2018 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slow going due to the weather and other priorities. Gonna get the engine together this week though!

Can't believe how these things multiply though. Acquired another 88 a week or so ago. 88K miles, great overall condition (needs a paint job). Only real "issue" is that it's an auto. Maybe a 3800SC in this one's future!

PFF
System Bot
robymon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you have some nice projects. Goodluck and keep us posted.
06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2018 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weather hasn't been too friendly so it has been slow going, but finally got the engine mostly back together. Pretty poor attempt at painting, but ahhh well.

Went with Rodney's stainless vacuum lines, idler pulley for the alternator, studs for the exhaust, as well as some odds and ends. Also got rid of the CSI, and really thinking about getting rid of the EGR. The one that came off the Fiero i'm using for parts is toast and broken.

Got it back on the cradle today.

Only annoying issue I'm having is the starter. I borrowed a jig to drill the holes, but the starter just doesn't seem to fit right. I tried one out of a 3.8 grand prix (wanted smaller starter) and the casing for the starter seems to hit the block. Odd. So got the right Fiero one today and the bolts just seem a hair too long, they just don't tighten down all the way. So I guess I need to go find some new bolts, or some washers that will work. The starter has dimples cut out for the bolt head so the washers have to fit just right.

It's been a while since I took it apart, and can't figure out where this thing goes! Anyone know?

There's also a line on the EGR solenoid that isn't hooked up, and a nipple on the solenoid that doesn't have anything on it.

Haven't really dug into the one yet to see if they're supposed to be connected (they don't fit together) or something else is amiss.

Still need to get the exhaust welded and ported (anyone know anyone who does the service?) I know it's fairly easy to do, just run out of time for everything.
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2018 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It should look like this.

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2018 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slow going, but at least going!

Finishing final touches on the engine/cradle. Still have to put on springs as well as install AC compressor. Got the manifolds back from the welder today and need to get them installed this week.

Rebuilt the shifter using one of Rodney's kits, as well as pulled the clutch assy out of the doner car. Maybe the weather will be nice enough I can get the clutch/brake assy installed in the yellow '88.

In my search for parts, came across a fairly complete T-Top kit. Seals are shot but been doing a lot of reading on using Camaro seals. All brackets are there, windshield support, interior pieces, ect. Needs some cleanup. Since my '88 Coupe already has T-tops, not sure what I'll do with it, maybe put it in the GT!

06GTO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2018 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Feel like it has been really slow going, but with the limited amount of time (and the weather!) it is what it is.

Finally got some decent weather! Tops off! Too bad it is just in the driveway.

Engine finally ready to go in! Exhaust on, brakes rebuilt and installed. Put on a new cat and ran some new exhaust pipe. I'll take it to get it welded when the car is drivable.

Waiting on a sway bar that I got off the forum, but should be here by the time the car itself is ready.

Need to run new brake lines and clean up the rear end a bit before I put the engine in. Some minor rust, but nothing too bad. Passenger side had a small hole in the trunk area that I didn't see when I bought the car. Just going to coat it with POR-15 for now and fix it later if I get to it. It's not bad enough to bother me.

As it sat this morning. Driver side, forgot to take a picture of the passenger side.

Lots of wire brushing and cleaning, then some rust coating.

Clutch pedal and shifter installed! Gotta tell ya, getting that clutch pedal bracket around that thick wire bundle was a real PITA.

Getting closer and closer to getting this thing started. Figure I just need to finish the brake lines, clutch line, shifter cables, then get the engine installed!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock