Key Turn Problem by Cokeologist
Started on: 12-05-2017 07:13 AM
Replies: 3 (277 views)
Last post by: fierofrenzy on 12-05-2017 08:09 PM
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I turned off the ignition in my 85 Fiero yesterday, I had a bit of difficulty removing the key from the ignition in the lock position. Sensing something wasn't right, I immediately put the key back in the ignition and tried to start the car again, but it wouldn't turn out of the lock position. No play to the switch at all, it is locked in the lock position as tight as can be. Key comes out OK, but the ignition won't turn either direction (ACC or Start).

Is this a common problem? Easy locksmith fix? Or something more involved?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, try pulling the steering wheel left and/or right firmly while trying to turn the key. The key will not loosen anything up, so don't force the key or it will break and make the problem worse.

If that doesn't free up the lock cylinder, and the car has an automatic transmission, the column/shift lockout cable mechanism near the bottom of the column, by the ignition switch, has probably screwed up or jammed. I had this problem with a parts car column and it would not let me turn the key at all. Unbolting this cable (one or two screws holds it on) should free it back up. However, the car's shifter will no longer lock in any gear, even park, while the car is off. This is a safety risk that warrants the lock cable to be repaired or replaced once the key turning issue is resolved.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is a Tilt Column?
Is it Auto Trans?
Either/both can cause lock/switch problems.
See my Cave, Steering, and Auto Shifter

from your post sound like tilt column rack final bent or plastic gear used in all columns stripped.

Column problems you need to tear down the column until found.
Interlock problems could be in the shifter or at the switch. Most are at the shifter like crap fell into it and can't move the cable.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-05-2017).]

fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aaaaa.....did ya try some WD-40 first ? I had key tumbler freeze ups on the door and trunk and a simple generous bath of WD-40 freed every up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock