sexier outside mirrors by kgoodyear
Started on: 11-29-2017 12:37 PM
Replies: 44 (2054 views)
Last post by: kgoodyear on 01-16-2018 03:50 PM
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to upgrade my mirrors on my 87 gt to a more up-to-date and sexy style. I'm looking for running lights, blinker and electric mirrors on the new version. I found out the hard way they have to be mounted on the door.

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sexy mirrors? Dunno how you could mount them on a Fiero. Those 6” square mirrors that used to be on van/truck doors?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Fiero mirrors are about as good looking as they get. You could customize and add a blinker to it.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine look sexy enough, especially when I look into them.

On a serious note, I am awfully tempted to retrofit gen 5 Camaro mirrors onto my 86 GT. An angled spacer seems like it should work while doubling as the "gasket".
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car has RX 8 mirrors on it and I think they look pretty nice. It is not an easy swap to do but they are well worth the work if you ask me.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2017 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Easy8:

My car has RX 8 mirrors on it and I think they look pretty nice. It is not an easy swap to do but they are well worth the work if you ask me.

You can't talk about it without showing off pictures as well or else it did not happen.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 11-30-2017).]

Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2017 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

You can't talk about it without showing off pictures as well or else it did not happen.

Good point, I also love to post pics of the car. I did crop this one, since it has been posted already to show the mirror better. Here you go.

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2017 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am soooo glad you posted the picture! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!!! Can you maybe point me in a direction. I'm in the process of wiring the car and have to make provisions for the mirrors.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-01-2017 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:
tempted to retrofit gen 5 Camaro mirrors onto my 86 GT. An angled spacer seems like it should work while doubling as the "gasket".

Funny, I've thought about doing this too.

Have you had a chance to hold one up to your Fiero?

Maybe we could photoshop selected door mounted mirrors & see what looks the most exotic.

I believe the side mirrors should remain stand alone door mounted as part of Fiero tradition.

The original ones was from the parts bins also used for Firebird, Camaro & Corvette. We want the Fiero to stand out with its own identity.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 12-07-2017).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2017 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread with examples, some picture were removed by photobucket to protect the innocent.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/074449.html
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2017 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy8, that looks very nice. Much better than stock, considering I never had a problem with the stock mirrors. Those look like they were meant for the Fiero. Thank you for the picture.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2017 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine are off a 90-00 Chevrolet Lumina. Had to create a mount on the door to cover the triangle corner of the "A" pillar

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2017 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kwikgta,

Thos look great! I think I am going to go to the local pick a part tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks for sharing.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put lights in my stock mirror that flash with the turn indicator.

You can see it in action in this video:

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 12-02-2017).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
liv4god,

very cleaver and ingenious. thanks for sharing.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

I am soooo glad you posted the picture! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!!! Can you maybe point me in a direction. I'm in the process of wiring the car and have to make provisions for the mirrors.

I got the car with these mirrors installed. I am pretty sure Exoticse on here knows more about them than I do. The previous owner (Pedro) had them installed. It does involve filling the old mirror mounting holes and making a brakced that is welded to the top of the door to mount them. I would love to post more detailed pictures but the car is tucked away in storage and I am out of the country for a long while. I know that Pedro does not post here but if you get hold of Exoticse I am sure that he knows or can find out how it was done.

I will say that while I like the stock mirrors on the Fiero these are a small change but make a world of difference to the car.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EZ8,

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to do some experimenting of my own and maybe come up with something as nice.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an FYI. if you decide to mount the mirrors to the pillar, make sure to remember that with the window rolled up, the door glass can smash into the mirror when you open the door if they are a sporty "swept back" design. Just add that info to your measurements when selecting the mirrors. If you do what Qwikgta did and weld a plate to the actual door, this eliminates any issues since the mirror will now move with the door.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 12-02-2017).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2017 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do like the stock mirrors on the Fiero, just wish they could be folded (break away).

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Corvette mirrors are about 1" slimmer and direct bolt including power mirrors same plugs and look less bulky.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Corvette mirrors are about 1" slimmer and direct bolt including power mirrors same plugs and look less bulky.

Which years?
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84-87 some good pics below
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/172775064943?chn=ps

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 12-06-2017).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
while these (corvette) mirrors look good they don't have the running lights or turn indicator. They are still pretty close to the same look as the fiero mirrors. Thanks!
AWautoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AWautoworksSend a Private Message to AWautoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

mine are off a 90-00 Chevrolet Lumina. Had to create a mount on the door to cover the triangle corner of the "A" pillar

Why cant we get ahead? GRRRR we were exploring alternative options on the wide body I am building. We were looking at options to mount our mirrors on the Door pillar like that but now we are in a dilemma. I promise we aren't trying to copy you on anything but I guess we have the same tastes.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2017 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be using powered F430 mirrors on one of my Meras. Is a F430 sexy enough to qualify? BTW, I do have a spare set of Vitaloni power mirrors and they may be sexier than the stock mirrors.

Nelson
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3rd Gen Corvette will almost bolt up but they will hang at the wrong angle. They are not much better anyway except that they are painted and have heat.

People will argue endlessly on this point, but they will not bolt up at the correct angle. I know I tried it.

I added lights to mine as well.

I also on another car used the 96 Oldsmobile Aurora, which do not bolt up at the right angle either but the attachment point can be easily modified.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

thanks for the pics. I think i am going to look into the Aurora solution.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm making some progress on my sexy mirror mission. I recently came into a Gen 5 Camaro mirror:

when placing it where the old mirror was it looks like I will be able to make an adapter so it will fit the original. Certainly, there will be some additional and rewiring of the current mirror. Anyone out there with a gen 5 mirror schematic would be helpful.

My hope is to make the adapter for this swap from the OEM mirror and replace them with a much more expensive set of mirrors that has all the features for which i am looking.

My thought is to use modeling clay to press into the plate holding the current mirror and pressing the c5 mirror where it will look right. I will then carefully remove the clay and machine the adapter. Ultimately, it would be ideal if I could use the same wiring as the Fiero OEM. The Oracle ones though are going to need additional wiring.

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 12-14-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can send the the measurements, I can design a 3d printable adapter.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2017 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jmbishop,

I appreciate that. I'm not sure how to go about printing it but I am sure I can figure it out,
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2017 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could use a service like 3dhubs.com and have it printed pretty inexpensively. Abs would probably be the best bet. Petg would be stronger and print easier but I don't know how well it holds paint.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2017 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I bought some drying clay and shaped it to the form I need to have to attach it to my Fiero. I hope that after a bit I will be able to remove it and not break. ]

I don't think my machinist is going to be able to make this on his mill. I expect I'll have to get it scanned and then 3d pringted .

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 12-16-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a crack at making a file for you if you want.

The first thing I'd need you to do is trace the opening on the mirror where it mounts to the car. A picture of the trace would be ok and measurements for reference but it would be much better if you could scan it for minimal distortion with markings for scale.

I'd want good pictures of the mounting of the mirror. as well as mounts on the door(i don't plan on taking my mirrors off to take pictures or measurements)

I'd need the angle of your adaptor, you can do this with a smartphone but an angle gauge would be better.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JMBishop et al,

Thanks! I think I will take you up on your offer. Perhaps we might take this to a sidebar and post the less mundane minutia.

The clay I used is a hobby clay that is supposed to dry hard and I am hoping one can get any measurement as one needs from this model. This morning when I examined it it had shrunk just enough that the adapter is separating from the door. I was surprised as I thought this would be the hard part!

To get the angle of the adapter I used a sliding T bevel and then transpose that to my compass.

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 12-17-2017).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the modeling clay was a major flop. back to the drawing board. (
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried blinkers in Fiero and other external mirrors not made with them.
Main problem is most LED aren't focus or not enough and so can blind you trying to turn or change lanes. More so at night.
You want LED w/ very narrow output cone and covered or painted sides to block most of light going to you.

plus you don't want bright LED there. lights affect your eyes seeing what's in the mirror. Bright lights/LED more so. Bright LED close or in the mirror is like sun hitting the mirror.

Many OEM blinker mirrors are better but many still have problems too for same reasons even thru USDOT likely limits LED output power for them.

ETA-->this is for blinker pointed back that dazzle you if poorly install etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-20-2017).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie's work on my wife’s Enterra

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2017 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

the modeling clay was a major flop. back to the drawing board. (

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2017 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I printed out a 1/4" graph and traced the base of the mirror housing and included the gasket. The gasket is slightly larger than the tracing.

I still have to figure out the angle of the mirror to the door. That will come tomorrow.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock