Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Facebook probly isn't much better (or worse)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Facebook probly isn't much better (or worse) by 2.5
Started on: 11-16-2017 10:28 AM
Replies: 14 (470 views)
Last post by: Cajun on 11-19-2017 08:03 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this posted on a prominent Fiero facebook group. I just wanted to say that these problems are everywhere and my recommendation is to be what you want to see on a given forum, whether that be facebook or PFF or something else. I know some people leave forums because of name calling / etc. That's sad. I just thought this was a good reminder even if we mostly try and police ourselves here on PFF. Even in the Totally Off Topic section (where it is wildest).

Here it is:

"Apparently it's once again time for our annual "stop acting like ------- kindergarten children" post. You'd think a group of adults would know how to act like such, but apparently a keyboard really changes a man.

Luckily for some of you, fb has recently given us the option to "mute" members instead of straight up deleting you. And since some of you apparently skipped the part in grade school where they taught us how to play nice with others, here's a small list of bs that won't be tolerated:

Posts or comments bashing other members, by name or not. That s--- might have been sly when you were ten, but your parents saw through it, and so do we.

Blatantly being an a-----' to other members will NOT be tolerated. It's not hard to change your wording a bit from the stupid s--- that automatically came to mind into something a little less asinine.

We're all from different walks of life here, and have different interests, different visions for our fieros, etc. If you don't like someone's car, or just the person, then just keep your dumba-- mouth shut where they and their car are concerned, at least in this group. There's a reason people usually remark on how open and friendly the fiero community is, and the stupid s--- we've been dealing with the past week or two is not it.

We don't give a s--- how much you post and comment, not how many friends agree with you. Troublemakers will get the mute treatment a few times, and if you can't learn your lesson like a dog getting whacked in the schnoz by a rolled up newspaper, then you'll eventually get the boot. We don't like losing members, but better you a------- than the new guy asking a question and getting made fun of until he or she, leaves in disgust.

Enjoy your time here, and all will be well."

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-16-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF has been real good lately I think.
I think my point is, come on in, the water is fine.
If you left because of some idiot, come on back.
Also what I said, make the forum how you want by being what you want to see it become.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2017 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No surprise. FB is full of trolls and worse. If groups don't moderate every day, often every hour, will quickly be flooded w/ problems. And that's after FB have their own 1984 issues, more so when using more censorship to kill "fake news."

Yes, PFF have "problems" but Actually Look at other forums and even FB groups and not just cars. 3 Big issue are:
1. Most Moderators are on power trips and can and do ban whatever people they don't like and for any reason. This is why PFF got started and overall very few people are banned here.
2. Other forum sites often Do Not allow any off topic, political, etc to prevent most flamewars, Google Adword censoring, etc. Example: Other then maybe 2ndA most gun sites will simple ban any user posting political etc. IOW... Almost everything in TOT here will get you banned if tried on other sites.
3. Very few "core" members are there after a year let alone 5 or more years. You have same type of Q every weak to month by nubes and most go on to other things when answered and hardly bothers to post after unless have more problems. Like those that left after they got info wanted to fix or "upgrade" whatever on their cars or find out too expensive to fix or upgrade w/o being dangerous or outright illegal.

PFF doesn't get many new members now simple because fewer and fewer still on the road. Unlike gun forum/sites that still have Millions to fix/mod... Only a few car sites are still alive like Corvette and Mustang sites but still have same issues/problem and "core members" stay around just that their cores have bigger #. 15-20 years ago you still have many Fiero on the road and many junk yards keep them for weeks to months. Now most yards, if they take them at all, crush all 10+ year old cars in days max. No money to keep for a few parts they might sell.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I canceled my FarceBook account years ago... never did get around to joining Twatter or InstaSpam. From my perspective, social media is like a "digital ghetto". And I don't particularly enjoy being in the ghetto.

Side note: I've been a PFF member for almost 16 years. That's about 1/3 of my life. Wow!

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-16-2017).]

boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been on for 13yrs and have always enjoyed it. Pennocks/Ogre/cave is about all the Fiero information any one person could ever need and then some.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have wondered why there is even a rating system where member can be banned and its not enforced.

The ones I have seen with awful ratings are the ones causing the arguments.

Perhaps if it was enforced it would be a nicer place to visit

I dunno
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
I have wondered why there is even a rating system where member can be banned and its not enforced.
The ones I have seen with awful ratings are the ones causing the arguments.
Perhaps if it was enforced it would be a nicer place to visit
I dunno
Green/Red color bars are total history and doesn't mean much to banning someone.

Enforcement is an automatic feature. Get X negs in Y days and find you are banned.
longer answer... New Ratings have time limit counted by the small arrow. Arrow hits the end of red in Y days is ban time but Y is a moving window and is Z days starting today... first ratings have a time stamp and drop off in Y+1 days so arrow moves around and even reach "0" when all rating are too old.

Auto ban is harder now because many don't bother rating and Nubes can't rate anyone so now many w/ big red bars often can't reach auto ban threshold.
Just look at the arrows... Most are near or at "0" and rarely move. Many "newer" members don't even have enough points to show the bar and might never because doesn't help or piss off enough people.

If you push report button then make sure why... Cliff can ban you for abusing the feature. Is made for reporting p*** etc not things you don't like.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the cool thing about Facebook. If someone pisses you off badly enough, you can block their azz.
You will never see another post/thread that they make. Conversely, they won't see anything that you post, either.
I have blocked a good many people (mostly NOT Fiero people, fortunately) and haven't missed a damned one of them.
SouthCoastFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SouthCoastFieroSend a Private Message to SouthCoastFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a recent Fiero owner and forum member, I've found the forum to be a great source of information as well as congeniality. I'm not a fan of most social media, preferring that my time be spent off-line rather than on-line...but PFF is a good example of people helping others, and recognizing that everyone was new to Fiero ownership at one time. Classic vehicles are a dying interest for many, and we need to work together to keep interest alive in the hobby.

------------------
1985 Fiero SE
2015 VW Passat
2014 Jeep Wrangler
1971 Ford F100

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2017 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should add, that I have been here since 1999, and have found this to be the best Fiero resource, ever.
Facebook is getting better, but useful information is more difficult to find, as it gets "widely scattered".
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I should add, that I have been here since 1999, and have found this to be the best Fiero resource, ever.
Facebook is getting better, but useful information is more difficult to find, as it gets "widely scattered".

I 100% agree with you there. I wish traffic would pickup on this forum again, and that older threads with very helpful pictures could be restored. I know I have seen a lot of the same simple questions asked numerous times within a short time frame on Facebook. I have to admit myself, that I have tried looking for one of my old posts on facebook, to re-read the comments again because I remember there being useful information and being unable to find it.

The photobucket issue really upset me and I have not posted nearly as much here as I used to. It was so easy to post pictures from my phone and from a computer at work, now it seems that neither of those are a workable option.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not an original '99er, but joined not too long ago in '01. This forum is still a great source of technical information. But GFC has slowed to the point of being almost useless. The Fiero Facebook groups have about a 1000x more traffic. This place has become like a soap opera in that you can come back after a year and it only takes 5 minutes to get caught back up.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say, the people on here are the best. They never get irritated with my sometimes (stupid) questions either.
Everyone always willing to help.

When someone sends you parts just to help and they took the time to do so for free....what else could you ever ask for.

I'm always impressed by the amount of people willing to help..

Awesome !
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My personal opinion FB is worse. Granted, there is lots of information on general stuff however, when it comes to technical problems of problem solving there is no continuous linkage as you find in PFF.

My 2 cents....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock