A rescued Fiero joins your ranks! by Wraith177
Started on: 11-02-2017 11:35 AM
Replies: 6 (1016 views)
Last post by: Wraith177 on 01-10-2018 05:10 PM
Wraith177

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all! A couple months ago I bought an 84 Pontiac Fiero. As much as I pride myself on being a car guy, this one seemed to have slipped through the cracks, but no more.

It was actually my fiancée who found the car. I ride a motorcycle 100% of the time, weather permitting(and sometimes not). We were already looking around for something cheap just to get me A-B. I had always wanted something sporty, or classic, or a bit of both. A drivers car. Something that even a 5 minute drive to the local super market would put a smile on your face. She found it listed on a local app, and it looked great. After a brief check online about the car to learn more, it was like having my eyes opened. Rwd, mid-engined, 80’s era car? I was in heaven. 800 talked down to 600, we bought it shortly after(it had a quick push to the closest auto shop to verify it would run).

Then started the Fiero life style. The previous owner had put almost no mileage in the last 20 years, but had really let it go once we started playing around with it. Spark plugs, spark plug wiring, distributor cap, oil change(get the stupid Fram filter out of there), new brake pads, brake rotors, brake fluid flush... just enough to get it running ok and safe. But this is just the beginning. Even though it’s a flaming 84(the flames just make it go faster), with the iron duke 2.5 with the 3 speed auto, I can tell there’s the makings of an excellent car under here. The previous owner put the hot wheel 17” rims on it. And it looks like it on pegs. They took out the whole headlight system and replaced it with a flush system, using lights from a 93 camaro(making it almost useless). The brake lights work wen they want(the sideways connector is loose). But I love this car.

With a new paint job (a nice darker blue with black racing stripes), some work to my tail light covers(which need repair because the screws holding the cover are stripped out), new rims because the 17 with 45r tires look a little silly(unless you guys think lowering an inch will fix this, or if I can get a thicker tire on there) led interior, redoing the interior(underneath the side vents it looks like it was chewed away), replacing the center console with one that has cup holders.... The list goes on and on.

As a first post, this is really just to let you guys know I am here! I’ll help out where I can; more likely I’ll be asking. You guys have already been so helpful in getting my cooling system figured out. Happy to be here and I hope one day to have the time and money to do an engine swap to a 3.something v6 with the 6 speed F40 transmission.

------------------
This signature adds .5 bhp.
When in doubt, gun it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Still learning this System, but here it is!

------------------
When in doubt, gun it.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome

The car looks to have excessive gap above the tires. I have 17s on a car with stock suspension and it is lower than that.

By the way, someone converted that car to a fastback. Have any rear pics?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-02-2017).]

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2017 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Next thing you know you are going to have another 2 Fieros Lowering it would make a world of difference in the looks. 2" would probably do it. There are several options for lowering. You can do drop spindles in front (although hard to find and spendy) or a combination of lowering springs (or just cut your springs) and lowering ball joints (sold by Rodney Dickman). Or coil overs. In the rear I think coil overs is the only option that I know of.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, be sure to post with lots of pics!
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2017 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard! You said your dash vents look like something chewed them--Fieros that have sat for some time tend to cultivate livestock in the A/C ductwork--you might want to check to make sure there are no nests in there--there is a resistor (accesable from the front trunk) you might want to pull that out and make sure nothing is in there. really easy--2 bolts and ten minutes to check. The reason why FIRE , the nests and debris that collect will burn when you turn on your a/c fan. Just saying... don't want you to lose your "new" car to that! As for the rims, I would go with 15's I did my 86 coupe with 15 inch 205 up front and 215 in the back--filled the fender well nicely and looked really good. If you look in the mall or online you can get some stock ones for a good price

------------------
Pat Jones

Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2017 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yes, more fun things about this car. 86 fast back rear, which does make it look very nice(you’ll have to forgive the passenger side tail light cover though). Aftermarket shocks and struts, both are pretty well worn. Don’t even know the brand because it has faded. I was thinking of going with the kyb shocks and struts from the Fiero Store. I like that they self adjust their tension and I can adjust the ride height. With my current wheel set up and the old shocks, the ride can be pretty damn unbearable on Colorado roads. I’m thinking of going down to a 15, get some bigger rotors and calipers when they wear out.

Since it’s been a while since I last posted, a lot has happened to this car. I kept having an overheating issue. Not really having the time, I took it to a shop who said they knew what to do. Big mistake. Week later after having them do the coolant, I’m low and overheating again. The culprit was the old thermostat wasn’t opening. I originally thought it was just the fan not working, but through some trial and error I believe the fan switch in the rear just needed replacing. With the coolant topped off properly and new thermostat installed, I put in the new fan switch.... where the engine temp sensor is supposed to go. Doh!
Which brings us up to date. New temp sensor got in the mail this evening, so now to run out there and fix my goof so it’ll start for tomorrow’s early morning shift. It barely wants to start when it’s warm and it hates starting in the cold.

I’ll try and get some more photos up early next week to see what you guys think and help me bounce around some more ideas.

------------------
When in doubt, gun it.

Wraith177

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wraith177Send a Private Message to Wraith177Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! I’ve finally had some time to compile together a (mostly) complete list of parts I plan on putting into the car, minus the stuff relating to the engine and trans swap. Updated interior, better rims and tires, LED lights(though I’m still having a hard time with the headlights. I have the Munson style lights, and they just don’t point at the ground the way I like. If anyone has info on that, it would be super helpful), and a bunch of other odds and ends. Still haven’t had time in the daylight to get some more pictures of my car, so this will have to do for now. I’m hoping I can get lots of good photos and videos to document the journey of this car till it’s completion; at least where I see it going for now.

------------------
When in doubt, gun it.
84 2m4 —in progress to— 84 2m6sc

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay