Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any Fieros with cruise control, air conditioning standard/not available at all?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any Fieros with cruise control, air conditioning standard/not available at all? by urbex
Started on: 10-11-2017 06:09 PM
Replies: 27 (611 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 10-21-2017 03:08 AM
urbex

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After several years without, I'm considering buying a Fiero again. Years ago I had an '84 base for a while, and a few years ago I had a '88 Formula that I sold largely because it was an automatic but also because I didn't have the funds nor the space for a fun car AND a practical daily driver. I've been driving a Chevy Volt for about 7 months, and I plan on selling that wretched thing soon (of the 50+ cars I've owned in my lifetime, that is the only car I can honestly say that I truly hate driving). That will leave me with a '90 F350, and an '87 Samurai...neither of which are really well suited to my 90 mile round trip commute. Samurai is a built crawler with super low gears in it, and the F350 just gets dismal fuel mileage.

I know none of the Fieros will even approach hybrid fuel consumption, and I don't expect them to. I bought the Volt expecting the payment + insurance would be less than the fuel cost for my Dodge Ram, and while it does, I'm still dancing awfully close to the break even line most months. Once I go back to a paid off car and cheaper insurance, I have a lot of room to work with lower MPGs.

I'm also not asking if they make good dailys...as I said, I've had two before, and I know their pros and cons as well as what to look for as far as issues with the cars. But what I am wondering - do any of the years/trim levels have cruise control and air conditioning standard, or were they always options? Any years/trim that they just flat weren't available in? This would just be so I could either easily eliminate some cars, or know that certain ones would automatically have those options without having to ask every seller. I'll also be looking at V6/manual trans cars exclusively.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you could order air or cruise on any trim level. Back in the day they didn't always force you up to a specific trim as the only way to get a set of options. There was more opportunity to order things ala carte.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure most cars without factory air were northern cars. They've either been subjected to salty roads and perished, or they've been kept out of arizona.
As far as CC, I've never had a V6 fiero that didn't have it standard. Not that you couldn't but I think most have it, along with AC.
Now if the AC or CC work is another story.

I would personally stay away from a 4 speed car for extended Highway use. Just because Running on the Highway at 3000rpms would probably shorten the life of a stock V6. Plus the higher RPM on the highway would just annoy me. I'm looking for 6th gear on the highway around here when traffic is flowing at 75++.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm OK with fixing the AC or cruise if need be, I just didn't want to get into full conversions if I don't have to, especially on the wiring side. Although I'm an automotive and low voltage electrician by trade, it's still a royal pain in the rear to add in those harnesses, especially on these smaller cars. My Samurai still looks like a tweaker went through the wiring harness after the drivetrain swap I did a few months ago, lol (ditched the factory 1.3 for a 2.0 out of a newer Tracker). Not that I expect perfection on any 30+ year old car, but I'm just not looking for another major project at this point in time. I've learned from past purchases that I'm far better off to pay more for a vehicle that already has the options I want than to try to retrofit later on, even if I get a non-optioned vehicle dirt cheap.

As I said earlier, I'm only looking at V6/5 speed cars. I've made the mistake too many times of getting the smaller engine in vehicles in hopes of getting a better "deal" or getting better MPGs, and I've often regretted it later after being unhappy with the performance of the smaller motor. I also can't remember a single time when I found myself being thankful that I got the smaller motor instead of the bigger one, in any vehicle. So I'll gladly take any MPG hit that I might get with the V6 for a bit more pep in it's step, lol. Plus I figure I'll be ahead if I do decide to go with a bigger motor later on.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to sway you from buying a Fiero, but In my opinion a Fiero is not the best choice if you want a solid daily anymore. As awesome as they are to drive; the newest one is 29 years old, and finding one in good enough shape to drive day in and day out reliably will be very very hard. For almost the same price of a nice solid Fiero, you can get a car 20 years newer with better gas milage which is one of your buying points. Not to say it's not possible to daily a Fiero, it's very possible and a fun little car to drive, but just keep this in mind before you pull the trigger!!!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Meh...I've previously (in the past 10 years) daily'ed a '64 Ford F-250, a '74 International Scout, a '64 International Scout, '62 International Scout, a '61 International Scout (yeah, I'm a bit of an International nut too, lol). I recently was daily driving my '87 Suzuki Samurai, and wouldn't hesitate to run it today as a daily if it wasn't for the effectively 6.3 gears in the axles...it spins a wee bit high on the freeway now. My 1990 Ford is as reliable as they come, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country if the need arose, but a crew cab long bed 4x4 can get annoying in traffic and in tight parking lots. Heck, for that matter, if I had to, I could even push my '59 International into daily duty, but it's even bigger than the Ford, lol.

I have a 4 year old car now that gets 30-40 MPG, and I despise that car. Absolutely hate it. I know I could trade it in on a newer Civic that gets great mileage, but what's the fun in that? At this point, I'm not in any kind of hurry, and I can wait to buy the "right" car. Worst case scenario, something happens with the Fiero, I call AAA to drag it home, call work to say I'll be late that day, and I go home to get a different vehicle (5 in the driveway at the moment) Not the end of the world.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by urbex:

Meh...I've previously (in the past 10 years) daily'ed a '64 Ford F-250, a '74 International Scout, a '64 International Scout, '62 International Scout, a '61 International Scout (yeah, I'm a bit of an International nut too, lol). I recently was daily driving my '87 Suzuki Samurai, and wouldn't hesitate to run it today as a daily if it wasn't for the effectively 6.3 gears in the axles...it spins a wee bit high on the freeway now. My 1990 Ford is as reliable as they come, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country if the need arose, but a crew cab long bed 4x4 can get annoying in traffic and in tight parking lots. Heck, for that matter, if I had to, I could even push my '59 International into daily duty, but it's even bigger than the Ford, lol.

I have a 4 year old car now that gets 30-40 MPG, and I despise that car. Absolutely hate it. I know I could trade it in on a newer Civic that gets great mileage, but what's the fun in that? At this point, I'm not in any kind of hurry, and I can wait to buy the "right" car. Worst case scenario, something happens with the Fiero, I call AAA to drag it home, call work to say I'll be late that day, and I go home to get a different vehicle (5 in the driveway at the moment) Not the end of the world.

I like the way you think.
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I like the way you think.

Years of experience, and many prior cases of getting far too angry at situations beyond my control, that getting angry at accomplished nothing positive. Heck, even that 4 year old car developed issues with the ABS system a month ago, and made the car nearly undriveable. Sensor wires got chafed due to improper routing at the factory, and the ECU saw it as occasionally losing traction, which meant it also pulled throttle at the same time. Nothing like pulling out into fast moving traffic, and have the ECU suddenly cut power to the wheels for several seconds. I took it home, parked it, and drove the Tracker for a while until I could diagnose and fix the issue. Even this morning, I attempted to drive the Samurai to work. Turns out the cooling issues that I thought were solved, weren't. Left the boss a message, limped it home, hopped in the Ford, and went to work. I'll stay late a few hours tonight, and it's all good. Yes, I know I lucked out big time with this company

That said, buying that Volt was an attempt at saving money, and driving a "normal" car. Turns out I hate it. With a fiery passion. I hate driving a "normal" car too I'd rather pay more at the pump to drive something fun and different. I've been through two Fieros before, and some other "oddballs" were a Saab 900, a Shelby GLHS, a Shelby Daytona, Dodge Turbo Shadow, the many Scouts referenced earlier, Triumph TT600 crotch rocket, Pontiac Grand Am Turbo (one of my favorites, even if it did have an auto trans), '78 MGB, a highly modified Chinese Roketa Buggy (yes, this was a daily for a summer too), a highly modified Volvo 850 Turbo wagon (which was GREAT fun to go beat up on the muscle cars with).

Then there was the year I thought it would be an adventure to ride a Honda XR250 dual sport from Michigan to Arizona. Had some mechanical issues on that bike during the trip, and found out the hard way that those XR250s apparently had a lot of non-engine parts that were specific to only those XR250s...took almost a month before I could walk right again after that, lol. I'm thinking a Fiero GT could make for a fun ride to road trip to Michigan and back again when I visit my folks next year. I went through some mean twisties in the Ouray and Silverton area earlier this year when I went through Colorado, and was disappointed I was in a Volt loaded to the gills with gear and luggage.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most Fieros came with A/C, at least around here. (GA)
I have only owned one Fiero with cruise control. That was the 85 GT that I bought new. All the others have been 88 coupes or Formulas. Even the ones with power windows didn't come with cruise.
All of them came with delay wipers and tilt.
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I have only owned one Fiero with cruise control. That was the 85 GT that I bought new. All the others have been 88 coupes or Formulas. Even the ones with power windows didn't come with cruise.

Perhaps it's a GT thing then? All the GTs would have had cruise, and it's a maybe on base/coupe/Formulas? I'm pretty sure my '84 base didn't have it, but then that was about 15 years, and a decent amount of mind altering substances, ago I'm pretty sure my '88 Formula did have cruise, but now that I sit here and think about it, I can't say for sure on that one either. I do recall my Miata didn't have it, and it was quite the annoyance on my commute, and I don't recall thinking the same about the Formula. It was really just the auto trans that sapped all the fun out of that car.

Being that I'm looking at primarily GTs at this point, I thinking I should be safe in assuming AC and cruise should at least be present in the car.
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2017 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Perhaps it's a GT thing then? All the GTs would have had cruise, and it's a maybe on base/coupe/Formulas? I'm pretty sure my '84 base didn't have it, but then that was about 15 years, and a decent amount of mind altering substances, ago I'm pretty sure my '88 Formula did have cruise, but now that I sit here and think about it, I can't say for sure on that one either. I do recall my Miata didn't have it, and it was quite the annoyance on my commute, and I don't recall thinking the same about the Formula. It was really just the auto trans that sapped all the fun out of that car.

Being that I'm looking at primarily GTs at this point, I thinking I should be safe in assuming AC and cruise should at least be present in the car.

My 87 GT doesn't have AC or Cruise, although I'll admit most that I've seen did have that.

I've also got an 88 Formula with factory power windows, despite being told that doesn't exist. So I'd imagine GM was somewhat flexible with options.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

NOTE: If you re-host any of my images on PIP, send me the Image URL and link to this post, and I'll update it.

PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2017 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both my '86 GTs had/have both.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

I've also got an 88 Formula with factory power windows, despite being told that doesn't exist.

First time I've ever heard that. But not true. (Obviously.)
I've owned two Formulas. Both had power windows, although they were not standard in the Formula. (I believe they were, in the GT.) Power locks were less common, but were also available.
It may have been power mirrors or subwoofer that wasn't available in Formulas. I forget.

urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2017 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, went and bought myself an '87 GT today, with near as I can tell, every option available that year. 5 speed, sunroof, power windows, power mirrors, ac (functional!), cruise, pigskin seats, and factory subwoofer.

Pictures after I get back home to the laptop
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

It may have been power mirrors or subwoofer that wasn't available in Formulas. I forget.

Yep....Formulas and base coupes could not be ordered with power mirrors or subwoofer (leather seats too). All could be prdered with power windows, power locks and cruise. Most coupes and Formulas were ordered stripped down, but not all were.

There were some oddball combos....I bought an '88 GT parts car many years ago that had lumbar seats, subwoofer, no AC, no spoiler and manual mirrors.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfiero

8996 posts
Member since Mar 99

Well, went and bought myself an '87 GT today, with near as I can tell, every option available that year. 5 speed, sunroof, power windows, power mirrors, ac (functional!), cruise, pigskin seats, and factory subwoofer.

Congrats! I love the suede seats.
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are nifty, but the bottom foam is completely shot, like most Fiero seats, lol.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

In my opinion a Fiero is not the best choice if you want a solid daily anymore.

There's no problem with using a Fiero (or any other 30 year old car) as a daily-driver. The trick is to simply have an alternate one at the ready.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not all gts came with cruise. I saw one for sale recently. A 1986 GT didn't have cruise or power locks. I think that tended to be the combo.

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jjd2296

1424 posts
Member since Jan 2016
Not all gts came with cruise. I saw one for sale recently. A 1986 GT didn't have cruise or power locks. I think that tended to be the combo.

urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2017 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Not to sway you from buying a Fiero, but In my opinion a Fiero is not the best choice if you want a solid daily anymore. As awesome as they are to drive; the newest one is 29 years old, and finding one in good enough shape to drive day in and day out reliably will be very very hard. For almost the same price of a nice solid Fiero, you can get a car 20 years newer with better gas milage which is one of your buying points. Not to say it's not possible to daily a Fiero, it's very possible and a fun little car to drive, but just keep this in mind before you pull the trigger!!!

Irony - my 4 year old, $40K Chevy just quit working today, no warning. Drove fine a few days ago, moved it from the driveway to the side yard without issues two days ago, and just went out to move it back to the garage - no start. Something in the hybrid drive system went kaput with zero warning, and all those computers need to come online before it can be moved on either battery or engine. Of course, there's not a damn thing I can do about it now because that system requires dealer level diag tools to even get an idea of what's going on. I can't wait to get rid of this nightmare of a car.

My 31 year old Fiero is working just fine, and logged a couple hundred miles today. If it did die, I need a $5 Harbor Freight multimeter, and maybe a screwdriver to figure it out.
PFF
System Bot
Falstaff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FalstaffSend a Private Message to FalstaffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw an 88 Fiero in Ann Arbor, Michigan without A/C. It was a bare bones model. I have seen a lot without cruise control, but A/C seems to be pretty common even up here in Michigan.
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falstaff:

I saw an 88 Fiero in Ann Arbor, Michigan without A/C. It was a bare bones model. I have seen a lot without cruise control, but A/C seems to be pretty common even up here in Michigan.

I used my AC far more when I lived in Michigan than I do here in Phoenix...the heat blows out once you get moving, but the humidity just seems to keep building up there!
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to hijack the thread but I have one question...

Did any _automatic_ Fieros have cruise control? Never seen one.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^ Yes, lots of Autos have cruise. My 87 GT does.
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2017 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

wgpierce

376 posts
Member since Aug 2016

Still waiting
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2017 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to be in nice shape considering the age. Congrats

Did you by chance check for rust in the usual places? If that car was in the mid-west its whole life chances are it doesn't have any rust. I actually grabbed my 87 GT last year in Tucson, not a spec of rust.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-21-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock