Members car goes up for salvage auction by FIERO JOHN-WI
Started on: 09-26-2017 03:28 PM
Replies: 14 (638 views)
Last post by: theogre on 09-28-2017 03:12 AM
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wheels and the tail lights look ok.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The nose also looks OK.

Actual cash value $2,9xx?
Est repair cost $5,2xx?
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That'll buff right out!..

Sorry, had to. What happened beyond the obvious?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And what is laying across the seats?
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

That'll buff right out!..

Sorry, had to. What happened beyond the obvious?

From the looks of it, my guess is a wiring short somewhere in the interior.

pcgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

And what is laying across the seats?

Looks the the decklid - upside down and badly damaged/burnt.
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that sucks, I had a similar incident several years ago when I converted my sons 87GT to a 3800SC. On its maiden voyage, the small amount of built up oil from the donor cars heat shielding on the back exhaust header caught fire but I was fortunate to be close to my brothers garage and a hose and extinguisher. I had to remove the entire engine assembly and build another totally new wiring harness including splicing in another main harness to C500 from a donor car. This was after I felt I took great care to clean all the baked in oil within the shields. I re-installed as many sparkling clean heat shields as possible, along with header wrap on the 2nd build. I also installed the aluminum valve covers from ZZP and the best gaskets possible. It has been over two years and its running great, it's his daily driver.. Always remember that the 3800 series engines had a known engine burn problem from day one that many grand prix owners may not have been aware of as the valve covers would leak and drip oil on the stock wiring guides, eventually creating an oil mist and many a car fire. I know as my 2003 Grand Prix burnt to the ground one day. This should have been a major recall but alas it did not get the publicity it should have. GM would/will replace your valve cover gaskets I believe, if you still own a grand Prix and it hasn't been done.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does stink for that to happen, but my question is how in the world is the cash value that high? That might have been the value before the damage.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's. low blow!! Easily explained.

Rims 500
Front bumper 400
Tail lights 750
Panels 500
other odds and ends 750

Remember it's the insurance company setting the price

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

That does stink for that to happen, but my question is how in the world is the cash value that high? That might have been the value before the damage.

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 09-27-2017).]

Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low blow not my intention at all. Lets be honest here, our Fieros are not worth much on paper. If it is a member here why not just part the car out because they know what they have and should know what everything is worth right?

Of coarse they would need to buy the car back in order to do so, and that could just be a hassle in itself. Needless to say that situation does suck for sure.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 09-27-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha it's funny because here in Canada Haggarty values are cars high. In perspective, I have an 87 mint with 42000 miles on it and replacement value is 14k Canadian which is 11k usd. I think their valued higher here in Canada because the insurance company is factoring in most likely having to import one from the us in order to replace it so the look at exchange rate and import charges as part of their evaluation. And by the way I was just making a joke on your post
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

According to the auction site $2912 is the pre-damage value.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that it must have had high mileage on the original engine then.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2017 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder where fire started... 1 common problem is heat/ac blower resistor but could be anything.

Originally posted by jjd2296:
Remember it's the insurance company setting the price
I co and many others use NADA prices for Total and Sell values etc. Current NADA Fiero prices are ~ $2k to $7k

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock