Chop Top question by john-t-b
Started on: 09-24-2017 04:27 PM
Replies: 17 (799 views)
Last post by: Australian on 12-28-2022 03:05 AM
john-t-b

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been wanting to do this for a while and thinking maybe this winter. Just really want to get my ducks in a row. Checking out a bunch of posts here.

It is an 86GT.

MAIN QUESTION
What is used for Windows? Sides? Back? Windshield?
What will happen with the sunroof? (Will it need to be modified?)

Sure there will be more questions but these are the deciding factors.

Thanks in advance.
John
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 2 ways I know of doing it. The first thing you have to decide is if you want glass or plastic side windows. If you want glass, you'll need to find a set of mikes or archies windows.

I recommend installing the side windows first so you can match the roof line to them for the best fitment.

The windshield frame is notched at the bottom and cut at the top so the windshield can be leaned back and it uses a stock windshield.

Then 3" is cut from the b pillar to let the roof come down and back. I like to drill the spotwelds from the inner rear hoop and remove it first. The b pillars will have to be bent in to match the roof. The roof is now to long, if you removed the inner skin of the hoop, you can weld the shifted upper roof skin down to the b pillar then weld the inner hoop back in(a little trimming and drilling in the sunroof area and the sunroof fits back in, or you can take some material out of the upper and lower skin in front of the B pillar. Then you have glass, you match your roof to your side windows, protect our remove the side windows and weld it all up. If you're going plastic, you can cut your windows to match.

Then you just need a plastic or glass rear window.

Then you refit and fiberglass the smc panels to fit your new roof line.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 09-25-2017).]

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side windows on all Archie's choptops were originally plexiglass, but a bunch got together and did a group buy to get a batch of glass side windows. Windshield is stock, just laid back. I think the back glass is just cut down.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:
I think the back glass is just cut down.

The back glass can't be cut because it's tempered.

Archie used a template to help keep the rear windows symmetrical and consistent.

The back glass is flat so getting a tempered replacement made isn't super expensive.
john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

The windshield frame is notched at the bottom and cut at the top so the windshield can be leaned back and it uses a stock windshield.

Then you just need a plastic or glass rear window.

Thank you.
So I can use plastic/plexiglass for the sides and back. Good to know.

I can reuse my windshield. Good.
When you notch the bottom and cut the top and lean it back won't that stretch it so the windshield would be a little short? Or am I over thinking this.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right, over thinking it.
john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Right, over thinking it.

Hahaha!!

Thanks.
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Um... close but I think you better look at the threads from those of us who have done it. The roof cuts are a lot more in depth.
There is way more than just cutting the roof, the door insides get modified as well as a ton of other areas to make it work like seal channels and so on. It is not for the amature for sure.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000125.html

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 09-25-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2017 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Um... close but I think you better look at the threads from those of us who have done it. The roof cuts are a lot more in depth.
There is way more than just cutting the roof, the door insides get modified as well as a ton of other areas to make it work like seal channels and so on. It is not for the armature for sure.

That's right, neither Archies or Mikes windows are drop-in, Archies have more of a curve, Mikes are flatter and take more modification but both will need the tracks adjusted/modified. And the method I gave is simpler than Archies and not 100% detailed, I have done it and I prefer it. It's not the only way nor am I claiming it's the best. Better than reading the threads is having help from someone who's done it.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 09-24-2017).]

Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2017 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is way more than just cutting the roof, the door insides get modified as well as a ton of other areas to make it work like seal channels and so on. It is not for the amature for sure.

john-t-b

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2017 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for john-t-bSend a Private Message to john-t-bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks been looking at all the threads I can find. Just a little difficult because alot of them are older and pics aren't available or have moved.

PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2017 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by john-t-b:

Thanks been looking at all the threads I can find. Just a little difficult because alot of them are older and pics aren't available or have moved.

Check in a few days it looks like from the other thread the pic server is down. Other than that my thread has step by step damn near how I did it.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2017 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you do all your research and get all the parts before you make a single cut. Right before he closed up his shop Archie sold kits, with step by step instructions. The kit would have the side glass and all the trim pieces and a template for the rear window. Getting flat tempered glass cut is real simple. You might can still find an Archie kit on the resale market. Many homebrewed chop tops never get completed.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-27-2017).]

Xtinct88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2022 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xtinct88Send a Private Message to Xtinct88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it’s been a while but I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m interested in doing a chop on an 88 and I’d like to go with glass side windows. I’ve looked into having the custom made and only one company even replied and the price was 10,000$ for a pair of windows. Does anyone have or know someone who has chopped door glass?
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2022 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes….if anyone ran across an extra set I’d like to know if there are any glass windows left too😉

------------------
87 GT....SBC...fast as hell...
Proud new owner of....THE DIRTY RAT

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2022 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to own Archie choptop #4, and if I had to do it all over again I'd go with a two inch chop instead. I think that would be the perfect balance between radical and subtle.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2022 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

I used to own Archie choptop #4, and if I had to do it all over again I'd go with a two inch chop instead. I think that would be the perfect balance between radical and subtle.

Choptop here is your old baby.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2022 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How good is the project car? What i mean is these are getting old and rare as many more will be destroyed i am already in the modified club started long ago but i wouldn't start now as at 10 years old it didn't have value at 37 it would have resale.My car is worth to me what i spend but i would already find a modified car if starting over and if had an original again would keep it that way. But once you chop keep going with mods and enjoy it. All i am saying is respect the originals if you find them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock