3rd Brake light always on? by DKcustoms
Started on: 09-20-2017 03:28 PM
Replies: 6 (493 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-05-2017 01:16 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2017 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having an issue with an 87 GT that I inherited..

3rd brake light works fine when driving
But when I turn on the running lights or headlights, the 3rd brake light turns on.
But it gets brighter when i hit the brakes, I am assuming there is a dual filament bulb in there for whatever reason

Also, when parked with the key off, the "Brake" light on the dash is illuminated and the car chimes until I take my foot off the brake, not sure if the issues are related.

Car is a 5 speed if that matters
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2017 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not know if this will fix your particular situation, but its is worth a try....

There are certain things on the dash or with the dome lights that will get power, if there is a blown fuse. It bleeds back through the system somehow. I know that sounds crazy, but I DO remember it being discussed on here somewhere. I just am not sure if it effects the 3rd brake light or not.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2017 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check fuses? Rear bulbs?
See my Cave, Sneak Path

Guess that rear bulb(s), Socket(s) or ground(s) for them are bad. 86/87 GT 3rd and rear bulbs use same lt blue wire but ground for 3rd is in the cabin.
Iffy rear ground then can sneak path taillight via lt blue and any ground path. sim to front sneak ground in cave.

Do not drive w/ this problem because 3rd brake can melt, maybe cause a fire, left on for hours. 889 is ~27w halogen bulb and gets very hot.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if these symptoms are related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLGJ8kmKjw
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87gt 5 speed as well that I just noticed does the same thing. Only thing I have done is put an led light in there. I will post up when j find what is causing it.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 10-05-2017).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Guess that rear bulb(s), Socket(s) or ground(s) for them are bad.

The rear harness ground is here:

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
The rear harness ground is here:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Maybe but most times is iffy sockets and/or bulbs. Just 1 iffy socket/bulb can affect other bulbs.

I've tried to trace dash bulbs flash but don't see how that happens...
I would follow sneak path page above then look for other problems.
Example: If dash had work done... Plugs on back maybe not fully plugged in or have trace damage on the "board."

IF has LED then replace w/ normal good or new 2057 194 etc and check. Many LED have very low quality and cause problems.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock